Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Imaginary Locomotives

30 minutes ago, ScottishRailFanatic said:

And on the other end of the spectrum, a 'Baby Shed'!

New Project-36.jpg

A sort of modern Class 25?

I feel some bodgery with a Lima Shed coming on, just got to find a cheap one...

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, ScottishRailFanatic said:

Bordering the limits of the loading gauge, a Class 56-style D-D arrangement...

And on the other end of the spectrum, a 'Baby Shed'!

New Project-35.jpg

New Project-36.jpg

How about a Bo-Bo class 56?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Northmoor said:

Has anyone on this thread ever modelled the (cancelled) BR Class 38?  I can't remember if BR ever got as far as a 3D model to indicate the likely appearance.

I think I saw something in one of the comics that looked like a shortened class 58 on 2 axle bogies.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

An idea I came up with yesterday, made from bits of GBL Coronation. I guess Stanier caught wind of Gresley's mountain and wanted a piece of the action.  I just need to think of a name, number, and livery

image.png.59a12e9654a40a9e28ced32f63ee7b35.png

Edited by Lu4472ke
  • Like 16

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Grizz said:

I like it…
It’s a bit like this Israeli one?

image.jpeg.5bbdb4685d9734230d63f3e8b54d6433.jpeg

58 minutes ago, Traintresta said:

Always liked these as well, like heavier class 67's.

I've always thought the 67s looked wrong on 4 axles, like on tiptoes. 6 axles look better to me.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Northmoor said:

Has anyone on this thread ever modelled the (cancelled) BR Class 38?  I can't remember if BR ever got as far as a 3D model to indicate the likely appearance.

11 hours ago, rodent279 said:

I think I saw something in one of the comics that looked like a shortened class 58 on 2 axle bogies.

I've been looking online since this was mentioned further back and couldn't find anything definite. Possibly a cut down 60 though given the possible powerplants were being trialled around the time they came in?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

3 hours ago, Ramblin Rich said:

I've been looking online since this was mentioned further back and couldn't find anything definite. Possibly a cut down 60 though given the possible powerplants were being trialled around the time they came in?

I think there have been several Class 38's, the most recent being a 60 with a powerplant with two fewer cylinders, but otherwise the same in all other respects including overall dimensions.

I seem to recall there was a proposed 38 before that but cannot remember the exact format it was going to follow, however, I decided to build one in OO using a class 50 body on a class 37 chassis but gave up and sold it before I painted it.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Traintresta said:

I think there have been several Class 38's, the most recent being a 60 with a powerplant with two fewer cylinders, but otherwise the same in all other respects including overall dimensions.

I seem to recall there was a proposed 38 before that but cannot remember the exact format it was going to follow, however, I decided to build one in OO using a class 50 body on a class 37 chassis but gave up and sold it before I painted it.

Historically it's pretty much the other way around. The class 37/9 was a testbed for the then proposed class 38. The class 60 is basically what Brush would have built for the class 38 with two extra cylinders.

EDIT: Of course the class 60 originally started out as "let's buy some 59s off the shelf". Only a government program could turn it into what was actually built.

Cheers

David

Edited by DavidB-AU
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

18 hours ago, Lu4472ke said:

An idea I came up with yesterday, made from bits of GBL Coronation. I guess Stanier caught wind of Gresley's mountain and wanted a piece of the action.  I just need to think of a name, number, and livery

image.png.59a12e9654a40a9e28ced32f63ee7b35.png

It's obviously the lead member of the Dreadnought class, so it would be "Dreadnought" and as it's a thuggish heavy-hitter, it would be in a black livery with straw yellow speed whiskers. Number? Dunno!

Don't get in it's way!

• Like 6

The Super Shed is pretty similar to the IE class 201 - JT42HCW.  If you are 'imagineering' anything from EMD, they've probably already done it.  Check the export models.  

5535844319_487e495ed3_b.jpg.c919bded3b7840f58e431fbafb458a5a.jpg

I would have been happy to see this beasty on BR instead of the 59/66 box.  The fan housing would need trimming first!  

50362821967_fef8471738_b.jpg.d168215ab68ebb9452b309a47fe5aabe.jpg

The EMD JT26CW-2B

In my alternate timeline, BR doesn't bother with any of the home built nonsense and goes straight to EMD for its diesels, using anglicized versions of the various standard export models, GL8, JL18, G16, JT22CW, JT26CW-2B and right up to date with the GT46ACe...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

It's obviously the lead member of the Dreadnought class, so it would be "Dreadnought" and as it's a thuggish heavy-hitter, it would be in a black livery with straw yellow speed whiskers. Number? Dunno!

Don't get in it's way!

I'd paint it black with red lining and number it 666.

If you want to add some demonic eyes then I wouldn't object...

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, Hroth said:

BR /English Electric did.  It was the Class 23....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_23

Nice idea for refurbishing dimensionally suspect Lima Deltics....  :jester:

This is better than a Baby Deltic because it clearly retains the twin engines of its big sisters.  If you're going to build excessively sophisticated machines for mundane work you might as well do it properly.

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

7 hours ago, DavidB-AU said:

Of course the class 60 originally started out as "let's buy some 59s off the shelf". Only a government program could turn it into what was actually built.

Yes, more economical, more comfortable and matching the required specification. More handsome too.

Not as simple and reliable though.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, scots region said:

I’ve been wondering what the impact would be if the U.K. wide gauge had been the same as the Irish gauge. What difference could an extra four and a half inches make? 

I did read that S.W. Johnson lamented not having the wider gauge as it gave room for bigger bearing surfaces for big ends and eccentrics on the crank axle. It would also permit larger diameter cylinders or more voluminous slide valves for those who liked to put them between the cylinders to keep the steam warm.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I did read that S.W. Johnson lamented not having the wider gauge as it gave room for bigger bearing surfaces for big ends and eccentrics on the crank axle. It would also permit larger diameter cylinders or more voluminous slide valves for those who liked to put them between the cylinders to keep the steam warm.

A GSR 800 at full capacity would be something to watch. And an A4 with 22in cylinders and 275psi would probably get north of 130MPH

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

16 minutes ago, scots region said:

A GSR 800 at full capacity would be something to watch. And an A4 with 22in cylinders and 275psi would probably get north of 130MPH

And melt its bearings even sooner!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1