The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Facebook - Am I the only person having login problems?

jonny777

• RMweb Premium

FB seems to have pushed an update within the past 18 hours which has upset some mobile devices.  It hasn't affected my ability to log in but it has affected my ability to click onto recent notifications.  

The little red box with the number of new notifications is there but clicking on it does not produce any response.  I have to exit, switch the phone right off, back on and re-open FB before I can click to the new items.  It only affects notifications and not any of the other icons which generate red number-boxes.  

There is also an annoying bug, probably from the same update, which means that each time I click on a new notification it doesn't go away.  I have to click on it twice, open it twice and then it will fade out as "read" 

FB typically gets on top of these things after a day or three.  First World Problems ...... 

• Thanks 1

After a bit of experimentation, I have discovered that my main 'problem' seems to be my intermittent use of a VPN (Virtual Private Network - for the uninitiated). 

Why Facebook would refuse to connect anyone who displays something other than their original ISP address, I don't know.  

15 hours ago, laurenceb said:

The rule with all computer systems seems to be if it aint broke-break it

I thought the rule was if it ain't broke add more pointless features and apps that no one will use until it is broken. Then release updates to fix what you knackered up the first time round.

• Agree 1

It is for this reason that I am trying for as long as possible not to upgrade my Apple laptop to 10.15 (or Catalina as Apple like to call it). I have fears that many of my old and favourite software might not work properly with the new OS but will not find out (as with other upgrades) until it has been installed; and then try and go through the laborious business of uninstalling  and trying to resurrect 10.14.6 (my current version). 

• RMweb Premium

Catalina also finally removes iTunes replacing it with Music and the pesky pop-up suggesting you now need to pay a subscription. 

You don’t. You can still access the iTunes store and pay per download. But you have to go in via a search engine because the icon (and direct link) has vanished from your dock. 

Also gone is the familiar “sync iPhone” button within iTunes. To sync your phone you now go to Finder. The familiar screen is there with no other changes. 

As we said - if it ain’t broke, fix it :(

• 1 month later...

I have decided not to install any version of 10.15. 

I looked at how many of the software packages that I still use, which have not been updated to 64-bit and therefore are highly unlikely to work if I updated. 

They include my family tree research packages, slide scanner software, astronomy night sky software and various games that I tend to play. 

I can't afford to lose that lot; or purchase upgraded versions (if these are indeed available at all) and so I will stick with 10.14.6 until it becomes impossible to continue.