Peco code 75 bullhead double slips.

Robert Stokes

30 minutes ago, PMP said:

You can get a reasonable idea/estimate from the pics here

https://albionyard.com/2019/11/23/warley-news-no3-peco/

These were first shots from tooling as I understood the discussion, sleeper width/height/spacing appears to match current Peco Cd75 BH specs.

At this point in time those of us with interest in the BH range have seen all of the images made available thus far. I'd have liked to have seen images of the slips ballasted in simple formation with the existing product line to be honest by now, which is something I have yet to see and consider much more useful.

27 minutes ago, dasatcopthorne said:

Because of the geometry, I am stuck with a flatbotton D Slip waiting for replacement.

Next time I will use Finetrax. Not that it will worry Peco.

I find myself in a similar position, I could build most of what I want to with what I already have but after building nothing but FB H0 tracked layouts* I have a hankering for something different and don't want to go down the handbuilt route for a large stay at home layout. With Midland practice its not a simple case of lifting a slip when the BH ones arrive as the slip is hemmed in by pointwork on both sides which would also need lifting. Rather than carry on with the build I'm retaining a small layout I built donkeys years ago until the track is available. The spanner in the works is that during Pecos delays a rather attractive competitor has arisen. My build plans are all done based on Peco, but I like the idea of using proper point geometry and Finetrax, once the slips are available, will give me that at the cost of taking up more room, which will rquire a redesign. But to be fair to both ranges I want to wait and see what both look like when actually laid rather than from publicity shots. I know what the existing Peco BH range looks like laid, I have a small industrial layout using it, as I do with Finetrax points, but the slips are key to a bigger project.

Edited by Zunnan
*at home
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Zunnan said:

But to be fair to both ranges I want to wait and see what both look like when actually laid rather than from publicity shots. I know what the existing Peco BH range looks like laid, I have a small industrial layout using it, as I do with Finetrax points, but the slips are key to a bigger project.

How the FinetraX kits will look will depend on how you splice the kits together at your chosen track spacing. This is an idea of how a double-slip crossover might look in 00-SF at prototype track centres (not all chairs are shown or correct, all still very experimental in Templot):

full

full

Martin.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

4 hours ago, martin_wynne said:

How the FinetraX kits will look will depend on how you splice the kits together at your chosen track spacing. This is an idea of how a double-slip crossover might look in 00-SF at prototype track centres (not all chairs are shown or correct, all still very experimental in Templot):

full

full

Martin.

What would be really nice would be the timbering Wayne showed when he did the crossover some months back as a separately available part.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 05/02/2022 at 12:58, Nick Gough said:

Full page illustrated advert in March Railway Modeller for Peco Bullhead.

"Arriving shortly at Peco stockists" - medium radius turnouts, long crossing, single slip and double slip.

In response to the Railway Modeller advert, my local model shop emailed Peco regarding timescales.

The response the shop got from Peco was ‘will be around 2-3 months’.

Unfortunately that’s the only information Peco gave. But a potential time frame!

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

The RM photos appear to be of production models which suggests - as does the time frame quoted above - that manufacture is now underway.  That would fit with Peco's normal policy of not releasing new items until there is sufficient stock to immediately fill all orders from retailers.  As they will be releasing 5 new items in the bullhead point work range it is understandable that is a lot of  manufacturing work to do before releasing any of them.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, James Harrison said:

Page 39a of April's Railway Modeller there is a full page advert for crossings and slips announcing 'coming this Spring'. 

In the March edition they also advised medium radius points but they have disappeared again this month. 

• 2 weeks later...

Emailed Peco for more answers.

This was the response:

“Next items due out shortly will be the diamond crossing, followed by the single and double slips. Medium radius turnouts are due out later this year.”

Doesn’t sound promising for modellers like me waiting solely for the turnouts.

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/03/2022 at 10:20, LDM34046 said:

This was the response:

“Next items due out shortly will be the diamond crossing, followed by the single and double slips. Medium radius turnouts are due out later this year.”

At least it's something. It allows me to time by getting the more expensive slip first then saving up for the rest.

Also good for testing stock as the slip.is the thing most likely to cause derailments I suspect

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/03/2022 at 23:20, LDM34046 said:

This was the response:

I got a similar response from them.

The thing that annoys me the most is not that it's delayed, it's the constant radio silence from PECO.

Dapol is not much better in the area of "Customer Communication."

It should not be up to the customer to chase the manufacturer for updated ETAs

People will understand and be more forgiving if you let them know there are issues and they are working on it and the release dates have been pushed out for whatever reason, it doesn't even matter if it's as vague as "The 2nd half of the year" it helps to set the expectations.

------End Rant------ 😛

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, Keegs said:

I got a similar response from them.

The thing that annoys me the most is not that it's delayed, it's the constant radio silence from PECO.

Dapol is not much better in the area of "Customer Communication."

It should not be up to the customer to chase the manufacturer for updated ETAs

People will understand and be more forgiving if you let them know there are issues and they are working on it and the release dates have been pushed out for whatever reason, it doesn't even matter if it's as vague as "The 2nd half of the year" it helps to set the expectations.

------End Rant------ 😛

I wonder what sort of response you might get if you tell them that you are considering the British Finescale equivalents when they become available.

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Budgie said:

I wonder what sort of response you might get if you tell them that you are considering the British Finescale equivalents when they become available.

Probably a polite and appropriate shoulder shrug.

If you’re going to use Finetrax/C&L then you’re not matching the Peco geometry, so they’re not in the same market, and you’re clearly not held up waiting for them.

At Heaton Lodge show at Bath & West the production crossings and slips were on show

https://albionyard.com/2022/04/09/peco-bullhead-crossings-and-slips/

Edited by PMP
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

19 hours ago, Budgie said:

The British Finescale 1:7 crossing and double slips are available. And a monstrously large and imposing piece of kit they are, they're not far off twice as long as the PECO slips. Absolutely stunning piece of track combined with the B7 turnouts, but you do need to factor in the significant amount of room you need to use them. I hope Wayne does a range of more compact 1:6 turnouts and slips next to be honest, the 1:7 kits are sublime.

The PECO slips still have their place given their more petite geometry making them more useful where space is at a premium.

Edited by Zunnan
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

FWIW the medium BH turnouts were also on show at BBMR and they were definitely a development on from the versions I saw at Newton Abbot in (I think) November.

Chris

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I emailed Peco and they replied that slips and crossings are currently in production and will soon be with stockists.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Latest June 2022 (Platinum Jubilee) issue Railway Modeller has full-page ad for the bullhead diamond and slips (page 14a).

"Arriving at your local model shop this Spring!"

No prices shown.

Martin.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, martin_wynne said:

Latest June 2022 (Platinum Jubilee) issue Railway Modeller has full-page ad for the bullhead diamond and slips (page 14a).

"Arriving at your local model shop this Spring!"

No prices shown.

Martin.

Ah, but which Spring?  Astronomical Spring ends on 20 June where Meteorological Spring ends on the last day of this month, 31 May.    The idea of manufacturers giving arrival dates by the season can work to their advantage because in, for example, this case the slips etc could arrive in what some people call 'summer' whereas on one definition that would still be 'spring'.  Good here innit😁 

PS I have no doubt whatsoever that in fact they will be 'here' once they have been distributed and have arrived in the shops - whatever we might care to call the season at that time.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

Last time I popped into the shop at PECO I was told that the crossing would be out first and they were busy making them then, once they have made enough to satisfy their orders from shops they would be sending them out. There has been quite a bit of COVID in East Devon recently which must have slowed manufacture down.

As Mike says above they will be here soon - I am eagerly awaiting their arrival as well!

all the best

Godfrey

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Call me a cynic but if either a Bullhead single or double slip can be bought legitimately before midsummer's day I'll be amazed.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if we have to wait until autumn to see them. That would put the release just within a year of the statement made by Steve Haynes in RM that they would be available "in the coming months"...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Harlequin said:

Call me a cynic but if either a Bullhead single or double slip can be bought legitimately before midsummer's day I'll be amazed.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if we have to wait until autumn to see them. That would put the release just within a year of the statement made by Steve Haynes in RM that they would be available "in the coming months"...

Yes but they'll still be here once they have arrived - that is the one definite thing we know.   I think my single slip has now been on pre-order with my 'local' model shop for the better part of 2 years (or is 3?).

BTW it is quitea while since I popped into teh shop at Pecorama (last Autumn) and all they could say then was that they din't havea clue what would arrive when from the new poitwork items - honest answer to s straight question.  But they're coming - some time - and i bet somne of them will sell like hot cakes whenever they arrive.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1