Peco code 75 bullhead double slips.

Robert Stokes

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

The exception being solid state discs and regular hard disks :D

SSD's are cheap now, I have loads for storage.  I used to bin HDDs as soon I upgraded, with SSDs I just add them to storage (there just so easy to stick together and to practically anything else).

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

SSD's are cheap now, I have loads for storage.  I used to bin HDDs as soon I upgraded, with SSDs I just add them to storage (there just so easy to stick together and to practically anything else).

They're certainly a lot cheaper than they used to be.

Still spent (for work) £16k on them last year though 🤪

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, dasatcopthorne said:

Just ordered and paid for a BH Double Slip from Hattons that they say is in stock.

£60.00

Finders crossed.

Dave

726A07FA-1031-47C1-BA69-A148E12A3DFA.jpeg.fda6c6f1355de3ce12e38d5aacfe5cbb.jpeg

They are available, and the quality is excellent, as indeed are the single slips and crossings.

• Like 4
  • Funny 1

• 1 month later...

A word of warning if you are replacing a Flatbottom version with this new Bullhead version.

1. The tiebars are in a slightly differing position.

2. The holes in the teirbars for the drive pin are slightly larger, possibly requiring more movement of the motor.  Especially Servos.

Dave.

• 1 month later...

Double and probably single Slips. A possible small problem.

Over the weekend whilst I was operating Elbow Lane at a show, I came across a small problem that other users may find.

During the afternoon I had a couple of instances where wagons were taking the wrong road as per the blades settings.

On inspection I discovered the one blade was failing to close completely against its stock rail.

My first thought was that a particle of ballast was trapped behind the blade but this proved to not be the case. So I put my glasses on!

I then realised what the problem was. Because the blade, at its pivot end, is 'loose', it had slid along and no longer fitted into the set/flat area in the stock rail. I am certain this movement was caused by track cleaning.

The cure is simple enough. Just push the blade gently back towards its pivot end and hey presto.

Keep a lookout for this and I hope it helps someone.

Dave

20220926_102447.jpg

• Informative/Useful 6

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 26/09/2022 at 10:40, dasatcopthorne said:

Double and probably single Slips. A possible small problem.

Over the weekend whilst I was operating Elbow Lane at a show, I came across a small problem that other users may find.

During the afternoon I had a couple of instances where wagons were taking the wrong road as per the blades settings.

On inspection I discovered the one blade was failing to close completely against its stock rail.

My first thought was that a particle of ballast was trapped behind the blade but this proved to not be the case. So I put my glasses on!

I then realised what the problem was. Because the blade, at its pivot end, is 'loose', it had slid along and no longer fitted into the set/flat area in the stock rail. I am certain this movement was caused by track cleaning.

The cure is simple enough. Just push the blade gently back towards its pivot end and hey presto.

Keep a lookout for this and I hope it helps someone.

Dave

20220926_102447.jpg

I had a similar issue with switch blades not closing tightly and derailing stock...caused, in my case, by an incorrect rail being used during assembly which meant that the switch blade's inset was on the other side of the rail (and at the far end of the rail the planing was the wrong way round).  It's going back to the retailer for exchange...

Otherwise an extremely impressive piece of pointwork.

Mark

uwncaicsk0otzbem304.jpg

• Informative/Useful 2

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 29/10/2021 at 07:13, Eveannessant said:

Necessity is the mother of learning new skills.

Did you build in OO or have you switched to building in O..?  Just curious, given your contributions regarding both gauges..!

Edited by NFWEM57

• 7 months later...

Question for those that are using the double slip

Are these useable on DCC straight out of the box without having to juice the frogs so to speak? I always attach droppers at either end of each turnout so will loco's negotiate these without stalling wired that way?

Tia  

• RMweb Premium

Depends on the locos - number of wheels, pickups etc. The frogs already have wires attached, if you keep these accessible then you can add juicers later if needed.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nile said:

Depends on the locos - number of wheels, pickups etc. The frogs already have wires attached, if you keep these accessible then you can add juicers later if needed.

Have had no issues wit SLW Class 24s or Accurascale Class 37s on the normal turnouts , don't think I had any issues with a new tooling Bachmann Class 20 either

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, sulzer71 said:

Question for those that are using the double slip

Are these useable on DCC straight out of the box without having to juice the frogs so to speak? I always attach droppers at either end of each turnout so will loco's negotiate these without stalling wired that way?

Tia  

Simple answer, yes.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3