track inclination around curves ?

• RMweb Gold

Urban myth time....

A few years ago now, but in the diesel era, I recall hearing about a driver who had come to a red signal near Bromsgrove

(I believe, it was certainly West Midlands, and to the south of Brum.) the driver had descended from his cab on the outside of the superelevated curve, thus a bit of a drop in the ballast to get to the phone to call the signal box.

What he couldn't do, because he was not long in the leg, was climb back into the cab, in the end he had to ring the signal box again and they arranged for somebody to come and help him back up into the cab, yes there were delays in the area too.

Why didn't the box block the other road allowing him to safely access the cab from the other side?

Andi

Urban myth time....

A few years ago now, but in the diesel era, I recall hearing about a driver who had come to a red signal near Bromsgrove

(I believe, it was certainly West Midlands, and to the south of Brum.) the driver had descended from his cab on the outside of the superelevated curve, thus a bit of a drop in the ballast to get to the phone to call the signal box.

What he couldn't do, because he was not long in the leg, was climb back into the cab, in the end he had to ring the signal box again and they arranged for somebody to come and help him back up into the cab, yes there were delays in the area too.

Heard at one of the old Worcester HMRS meetings many years ago when we had proper railwaymen come and give us a talk about operating - engines, signalboxes, stations, etc, etc., great meetings.

Penlan

I would have gone around to the other side of the engine. I presume he would have had a key to get in the door!!!

• RMweb Gold

I would have gone around to the other side of the engine. I presume he would have had a key to get in the door!!!

Locos in service never have the doors locked

Andi

• RMweb Gold

Urban myth time....

Heard at one of the old Worcester HMRS meetings many years ago when we had proper railwaymen come and give us a talk about operating - engines, signalboxes, stations, etc, etc., great meetings.

Penlan

I suspect that it isn't quite an urban myth, but the facts of one I know about are slightly different. There was an incident some good many years back on the Western on a route where there had been a lot of reballasting and lifting over several years. In that incident a Driver got down on the cess side for some reason (I think it was possibly some sort of fault but can't be sure) and found that he couldn't get back up to the loco steps Eventually he found a way back into the cab from the 6 foot side after waiting for a train on the adjoining line to pass as that was the only way he could really be sure the line was clear.

There were also definitely instances where it was nigh on impossible to climb down on the 'high' side due not only to cant but also due to the depth of ballast below it and it started to really be noticed and taken care of in the WeS of England resignalling in the mid 1980s (and subsequently of course).

• RMweb Gold

Urban myth time....

Penlan

The lower tech solution was to use the other door :blink:

I think 'stationmaster' may well have an earlier (factual) story/tale of the incident before the Chinese whispers got under way to Worcester and all other points...

Many a tale I use to hear in the lounge late on a Saturday, at the crummy B&B's we were put up in when exhibiting around the M62 corridor area, back in the 70's.

I think Blackburn (for example) use to have some real old steam era men about with a tale to tell back then...

Now that we are put into decent hotels, there doesn't seem to be the same storytelling there use to be... :(

Penlan

• 2 weeks later...

Further along the line (Beyond Exeter) near Collumpton superelevatio or cant is 8 inches or 200mm through the reverse curves.

"Maximum cant in real life is 6 inches I think"

Collumpton is a special one off case, agreed back in BR days when the linespeed was being increased. As having 8" of cant there allowed a higher linespeed over a long length, rather than two sections with a restriction between.

Collumpton is a special one off case, agreed back in BR days when the linespeed was being increased. As having 8" of cant there allowed a higher linespeed over a long length, rather than two sections with a restriction between.

Been contemplating this one myself - here's my 'test' on my plank. Inner canted down - outer canted up. Jury still out!!

post-6870-127638093091_thumb.jpg

Archived