Removing a pressfix transfer

I have used methylated spirits and it does NOT work. I did not try turps because I was worried about damaging the paintwork but I will try it next time. At the moment I use the wooden end of a match and gently scrape it off. The gum residue is the biggest problem ; that stuff really sticks. Perhaps the turps will shift it.

I have used methylated spirits and it does NOT work. I did not try turps because I was worried about damaging the paintwork but I will try it next time. At the moment I use the wooden end of a match and gently scrape it off. The gum residue is the biggest problem ; that stuff really sticks. Perhaps the turps will shift it.

When I worked for a packaging company nearly ten years ago we always used turps/white spirit to remove the glue left from sticky labels. I have used it on model locos but as you say just don't rub too hard. It's best to lightly soak the glue for a few minutes to let the turps break it down and then give it a light rub. So long as the paint is hardened (and at least a couple of thin coats) there shouldn't be a problem.

Archived