Signaling and Turnouts at the exit from Tunnels

scottystitch

11 hours ago, big jim said:

Allow me to help....

Image285.jpg

Image286.jpg

the signal is still standing, complete with the head bagged up! 

That whole area around Ratcliffe PS, the tunnel. the bridge over the river and the Trent junctions would make a superb model....

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, WillCav said:

Hi all

There is a standard for how banners and distant signals are named now but there are many still out there that don't comply to modern rules.  I am a signalling designer so I know some of the history etc but others I'm sure can fill in my gaps.

Banner repeaters are now #BR where # is the signal they are following.  Previously these could be #R.

Distant signals are a different number to the 'home' if they are operated by a different control.  If they just follow the aspects ahead, they can still be #R but we are often asked to rename them during review of schemes.

Even in the same signal box area you can get a mixture.

Cambridge has #R & #BR for banners and different number & #R for distants.

New distant signals have a plate with the triangle (to represent the semaphore distant notch). Otherwise it could be difficult for a driver as most modern signals have a single aperture.

Distants in 4 aspect area could be #RR then #R .

Confused yet? I know I am and I'm supposed to understand it...

Will

Exactly so and this is the situation I was talking about.  Whether or not it will change is another thing entirely although I have been told about one way in which it might go.