RMweb

DCC Wiring, multi track, multi points

model-trains

Hi guys

I am seeking guidance please.

Looking at this section of the track as a left to right, right/left layout... wiring every section with blue wire droppers farthest away rail and red wire droppers the nearest rail of the two as we look at them here, do I need IRJ's on the toe ends of points and inner 'V' of 4 ways?

I appreciate I need them for designed in blocks but with every track wired the same, blue/red - blue/red - blue/red, I am wondering if I actually need them. Electrofrog points probably being the only exception to this. (sleepers will be made right as I finish laying each part)

I look forward to your comments, thanks in advance.

191217_track.jpg.1f5b9ce284892909042e35efe654c43a.jpg

Thanks guys

I always view the points as the heel being the single end and the toes being the two alternate exits, as rocking on the heel of our feet.

I have added red dots for each IRJ in the image attached. I will have to re-check I think I may have missed some.

191217_track-2.jpg.5fd9959c89ef96919c5fd81a4a7038e6.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Tip.

Don't rely on metal rail joiners for tracks that are meant to be connected together electrically.

I notice you have several joined pieces of track on some routes, I would put droppers on all of them.

It's easier to do overkill at the start than add connections later.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, WIMorrison said:

You can never have too many droppers and yes, you will need IRJs on the heel of the frog for all connections.

That is the single best bit of advice for wiring (for DC as well as DCC), for 3 reasons:

Once the track has been laid, it is easy to add a dropper to a dead section. If you find a short & have to insert an IRJ, you will need to lift the track to fit it. If you simply cut the track, there is a chance heat expansion can cause it to close, or the track can become mis-aligned at the gap.

You effectively break the layout track into smaller sections. It makes problems less likely & easier to troubleshoot.

You reduce reliance on rails & metal rail joiners for carrying layout current. Nickel Silver rail is a relatively poor conductor compared to copper wire & the connection between rail/joiner is a weak spot which can deteriorate over time.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

A lot of those points are Insulfrog, I notice...

The "toe" and "heel" terminology is actually derived from just thinking about the point "blades" and the closure rails, not the whole turnout. Once you realise that it makes much more sense!

What actually is this bit of pointwork for? The trackwork is all spaced out so that it's not obvious which lines are up and which are down but from looking at your gallery I see there are several routes that can feed Up trains directly on to Down tracks running in the wrong direction and vice versa.

P.S. NSW commonly stands for New South Wales, the Australian state.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Thanks 1

Turnouts (Points in the UK) have their 'Heal' at the end of the moving point blade rails or switch rails, not as shown above at the turnout end of the point beyond the frog which BTW is technically the Crossing (Confused?)   See Turnouts in this item which explains it much more clearly.  Link to click on   This is what Harlequin is correctly stating.

• Thanks 1

The image is just a small section of the proposed layout

From the left comes a double loop with station and siding

From the right comes two hidden sidings and a number of platforms for a station, this section runs a good length before joining another two track loop with small station and sidings. (4 reverse loops in all)

I have included another image to help confirm the up down lines as they cross over to bye-pass to additional siding, which may be considered as up down lines had I not clarified this.

I appreciate there is a lot of work in this section of the layout, but it is done to allow lots of flexibility for the trains and interest for myself.  :good_mini:

Thanks for all your comments they are really appreciated.

191217_track-3.jpg

1 hour ago, Harlequin said:

A lot of those points are Insulfrog, I notice...

The "toe" and "heel" terminology is actually derived from just thinking about the point "blades" and the closure rails, not the whole turnout. Once you realise that it makes much more sense!

What actually is this bit of pointwork for? The trackwork is all spaced out so that it's not obvious which lines are up and which are down but from looking at your gallery I see there are several routes that can feed Up trains directly on to Down tracks running in the wrong direction and vice versa.

P.S. NSW commonly stands for New South Wales, the Australian state.

Hi Harlequin

As you are from Australia I understand your thinking, I am from the UK myself and my layout is being created because I love trains (as we all do), but I don't run to an set era, I like all trains, so I have a mixture of passenger and goods, steam and diesel, for different eras. 

As for the N-S-W the layout is in my garage, insulated and carpet down ;) the N-S-W stand for North, South and West, the 3 sides of the garage used. The board being shown here is the West side, linking the North on my right (next board to be made) and the South side on my left which has been done and will be connected once the West one is finalised. 

I was aware of NSW, but decided after playing with the 3 letters that it was the best option, for me, and that the layout was not for a specific era or specific rail network it was Ok for me. Sorry for any confusion, now which way am I facing. :o

Edited by model-trains
  • Funny 1

The reason I added 2 sidings was to divert trains down over the 4 way points, but as I am sat probably about 8 feet away and looking at it left to right I cannot see the benefit I would if I was looking down the lines as in this image, so my thoughts were a couple of sidings with coaches or goods wagons sat there would show interest in themselves, but also help me see the trains winding there way past them. Just me trying to visualise how it will look add trying to create interesting layout rather then just straight tracks. I have a long way to go yet.

191204_L1a.jpg

Edited by model-trains