Spalding Station buildings

TravisM

• RMweb Gold

After a lot of contemplation, I’ve decided to model Spalding station in the present day and I was wondering if there are any plans available?  I was also wondering if there is kits or readymade models as my scratch building is like my wood butchery, awful :fie:.

Any help would be wonderful.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jools1959 said:

After a lot of contemplation, I’ve decided to model Spalding station in the present day and I was wondering if there are any plans available?  I was also wondering if there is kits or readymade models as my scratch building is like my wood butchery, awful :fie:.

Any help would be wonderful.

Hi Jools

Had you asked me 35 years ago when I built this mirror image version I could have said yes, well my hand drawn ones but sadly they are long gone. As the station was on a curve the single story building and gents were on the other platform. 164942939_wulvesford1.jpg.f2e3ab9c04de75cdc4eb050b4b77f42e.jpg

1760994559_wulvesford2.jpg.abb5acbe55df7f50e6857d9189183e8d.jpg

I didn't have any official or non official drawings but one of our club members took a series of face on photos and using the count the bricks method I was able to do a set of drawings. Only to be asked to make the station a mirror image. The platform canopy was never made as I could work out how to have one edge straight and one curved.  It was my first attempt at a building. It was made in embossed plastic card with brick paper for the roof slates as I find embossed slates look more like tiles.

Good luck in building it.

I was more pleased with the RAF chaps getting off the lorry to go on leave than the station building.

1957057654_wulvesford3.jpg.2d02270cf1c0b50dbd261b9e00384f79.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Yes, the main building is based on Spalding, but the island platform buildings and over bridge are based on Sleaford. Funnily enough I was looking at pics of Sleaford last night from this set off the web.

http://www.davesrailpics.bravehost.com/sleaford/sleafordarea3.htm

...and Spalding here.

https://www.geograph.org.uk/stuff/list.php?label=Spalding+Station&gridref=TF2422

I certainly can’t take the credit for them as they were built by Allan Downes for Gilbert Barnatt for his forerunner of Peterborough North.

You will find several pics in my layout thread or PM me should you need any more info.

Edited by gordon s
  • Like 3