What DCC controller for about £250?

rogerzilla

I'm leaning towards the Gaugemaster Prodigy Advance 2, which can be had for £260, but some people report usability issues when switching from one loco to another and it's not the best-looking thing.  If it has a lifetime guarantee like the DC controllers, that's a big selling point.

Or there's a Bachmann Dynamis Ultima or a Hornby Elite.  I imagine they're not as reliable, nor guaranteed, but they look better designed.

Or I could just use a spare laptop and something like Hornby's e-Link.  My issue with this is that the software might end up unsupported for a new version of Windows, making it basically obsolete unless the laptop is totally dedicated to the layout and never connected to the Internet.

This is for a small N gauge layout with three locos and DCC point control. 

Any other recommendations?

• RMweb Premium

From conversions I have heard, users of the NCE powercab swear by them, everyone else swears at theirs!

I do use the Bacmann Ultima as I like the ergonomics of the controller in my hand. Also using it now with RocRail software on a laptop and via a tablet so it is very flexible. Faults over time (6+ years including exhibition use) - one failed IR receiver and 2 joysticks replaced by Bachmann.

Edited by JimFin
  • Funny 1

If you have a spare laptop, have you considered the Sprog3 with JMRI software? JRMI is probably not as user friendly as proprietary software but is well supported.

My neighbour has NCE Powercab. It's proved reliable, although I don't think it is as easy to use as JMRI's DecoderPro.

You mention DCC control of points. That's where complexities come in. Do you need DCC?

1 minute ago, grriff said:

You mention DCC control of points. That's where complexities come in. Do you need DCC?

Simple, Cobalt IP point motor wired straight to your 'Bus wires' no soldering required, given DCC address works from NCE handset. 

• RMweb Gold

I chose the NCE Powercab over the Gaugemaster Prodigy as my DCC Starter controller. Being about £100 less was also a factor. You can always add the SB5 booster at a later date for additional 5amp power. It's easy to use and the support website is good too. 

1 hour ago, Nick G said:

Simple, Cobalt IP point motor wired straight to your 'Bus wires' no soldering required, given DCC address works from NCE handset. 

...and also, later on you can buy and just plug in a DCC Concepts Alpha Central to the NCE system and operate the points from there.

Very easy.

No complexity whatsoever.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, rogerzilla said:

I'm leaning towards the Gaugemaster Prodigy Advance 2, which can be had for £260, but some people report usability issues when switching from one loco to another and it's not the best-looking thing.  If it has a lifetime guarantee like the DC controllers, that's a big selling point.

Or there's a Bachmann Dynamis Ultima or a Hornby Elite.  I imagine they're not as reliable, nor guaranteed, but they look better designed...........

Unlike their own brand DC controllers, there isn't any lifetime guarantee on the Gaugemaster Prodigy DCC systems, accessories or components.

That's because they are not made by Gaugemaster, but are bought-in and rebadged products from MRC (Model Rectifier Corp.) in the USA.

However, from anecdotal evidence, Gaugemaster have a very good reputation for dealing with issues and problems, even after the warranty has expired.

Personally, I'd dodge the Hornby systems as they are far from being the best (being polite). Hornby are very much a fringe player in the DCC market.

The Bachmann System (also bought-in from ESU) is a marmite product for many. They also provide a computer control software package that can be used to control your points etc, as well as the trains.

There are a few options worth looking at, such as the NCE PowerCab mentioned by others above.

Note that NCE are said to be working on a total redesign of their DCC systems, to bring them out of the dark ages.

Have a look at the starter Roco z21 (lower case "z" in a white case) combined with a MultMaus WLAN wireless handset, or a wired MultiMaus.

If you can push your budget up a bit, look at the full fat Z21 (upper case"Z" in a black case) for greater functionality.

These are far more advanced systems, which can be used with iPad's, Android tablets and Smartphones.

Route setting and points can be operated from the screens of these smart devices.

No doubt other suggestions and personal preferences (biases??) will follow.

Edited by Ron Ron Ron

1 hour ago, rogerzilla said:

It doesn't have the lifetime guarantee, that only applies to the DC controllers Gaugemaster design themselves.  
That said, Gaugemaster are pretty good at fixing it should it fail, often for free when the cause is admitted user-abuse, and any repairs are handled in the UK. 

Visual design is no match for actual "in use" Ergonomics.  I'd put the Gaugemaster significantly above both the Hornby Elite and Bachmann Dynamis controllers on their real ease of use in the hand. 

The PowerCab is an option.  But if you're worried about support, its a US company to deal with if you have an issue.    I have mixed views on Powercabs, and with sound locos there is the same lack of flexibility of function key allocation found in most US designed systems. 

Other options not mentioned in the thread (until Ron put his answer in as I was typing):   Signatrak ACE (designed in the UK, small UK company),  Uhlenbrock Daisy II (German company, UK importing agent for support),   Digitrax Zephyr (US company).      Possibly "out of budget" would be a Roco Z21 plus Multimaus.    

- Nigel

4 minutes ago, Nigelcliffe said:

...... I have mixed views on Powercabs, and with sound locos there is the same lack of flexibility of function key allocation found in most US designed systems. 

Poor suitability for operating sounds is one of a number of reasons NCE and Digitrax are said to be ditching their legacy designs for a more modern approach.

It might be a couple of years before we see the results though.

7 minutes ago, Nigelcliffe said:

....Other options not mentioned in the thread (until Ron put his answer in as I was typing):   Signatrak ACE (designed in the UK, small UK company),  Uhlenbrock Daisy II (German company, UK importing agent for support),   Digitrax Zephyr (US company).      Possibly "out of budget" would be a Roco Z21 plus Multimaus.    

Some good suggestions there, particularly the Signa_Trak Ace.

Digitrax Zephyr....make sure it's the new DCS-52 model with improved usability.

The starter system (small "z")  z21 plus a wired MultiMaus, can be had for around £150 'ish.

Ease of access to all functions via a single touchscreen, coupled with the 5 Amp capability was the reason that I selected the Sig-na-trak ACE2 (https://signatrak.co.uk/products/ace-dcc-controller-accessories/dcs2044-ace-15-48) as my preferred choice.  That just fits within your budget.  There are plans for a separate interface board that will allow LocoNet and XpressNet capabilities along with a computer interface, but that is currently on hold at the moment and will be an additional cost.  I guess the question is what functionality you need now and what you are willing to leave until later?

• RMweb Gold

I have been an NCE user for many years, still have it for my display layout "Marshend", bu my home layout went through a big change recently.  I bought the Digikeijs DR5000 and a cable handset.  The handset was a PIko and only for backup in case of any wifi issues.

The new system worked well after a few very minor teething problems.  One of those issues was that my circuit protectors, 2 x PSX1's were not quick enough.  I have separated my track bus from my assessors bus so any short does not leave unable to change points.  So after a lot of help from James at DCC Control I bought a Digikeijs 5033 booster to run the track.

Now the system is rock solid and I have enough power to run my sound locos and assessors with ease.  The whole lot ended up costing me £340 but the quality and flexibility is fantastic.  With the new system all the functions for each loco are easy to see and transfer from handset to handset.  

Added to that I have got a trial version of iTrain to run my point work and signals, I am very impressed it is much easier to use than JMri although it can be expensive depending on the level you require.  I would need the lite version which is about £90 but you cannot use its app at the price.

Although there are plenty of options with the Dr5000, so I recommend it very much as a very modern DCC system.

regards

Doug

Lenz. Rock solid reliability over near 15 years now. Nothing goes wrong, falls off, fails to work; that's presumably the why of the ten year warranty. Excellent manual, everything you need to know very well described; I value quality documentation as reflecting a professionally competent approach. I feel I have had my money's worth since it is used every day I am home, so by now it has had a good work out. Looks neat too. By report - as I have not needed it - good UK support from the distributor should it be required.

But none of the above matters if you don't enjoy using it. This is a hobby, and the kit should provide enjoyment in my opinion. Try the systems on offer at a show (Coastal DCC usually have a table full to try, and should be at the CMRA show in Stevenage early January) to assess which interface nicely falls under your hand.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Lenz. Rock solid reliability over near 15 years now......

Unfortunately, the Lenz Set 101 is at least £80 or more over the OP's budget if bought from Germany and £100 or more over budget if bought in the UK.

Edited by Ron Ron Ron

Roger

There's a lot of useful advice above. If you can get to a good shop specializing in DCC (or a show), I would do. Hopefully you could see some of the systems in action. They should be able to give you the cost involved in getting a system up and running, including DCC point control and any boosters. If you can, look at the manuals - how easy are they to use?

My experience with my neighbour's NCE system is that you cannot select locos from a list, you have to know the address of each loco. His handsets only store the details of two locos, although I think this has now increased to four. I would check out how easy it is to change points using the handset. As has been mentioned above, the NCE system is now rather dated and you may be better off considering one which links to a smartphone and computer. I think NCE has an option of a USB interface but don't know how easy it is to set up.

Support has also been mentioned above, if you haven't already done so, it's worth looking at the forums on each manufacturer's website to see the problems others have encountered. 

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, grriff said:

Roger

There's a lot of useful advice above. If you can get to a good shop specializing in DCC (or a show), I would do. Hopefully you could see some of the systems in action. They should be able to give you the cost involved in getting a system up and running, including DCC point control and any boosters. If you can, look at the manuals - how easy are they to use?

My experience with my neighbour's NCE system is that you cannot select locos from a list, you have to know the address of each loco. His handsets only store the details of two locos, although I think this has now increased to four. I would check out how easy it is to change points using the handset. As has been mentioned above, the NCE system is now rather dated and you may be better off considering one which links to a smartphone and computer. I think NCE has an option of a USB interface but don't know how easy it is to set up.

Support has also been mentioned above, if you haven't already done so, it's worth looking at the forums on each manufacturer's website to see the problems others have encountered. 

With regard to loco selection you are almost bang on, it was one of the reason I changed.  You have to select the loco from the address which you must know and once selected it does not reflect the actual situation with the loco.  So if it was moving make noise etc it will be all clear when you select it again.  However having said that there is a function to recall up to 6 last loco entries which is fine for most people with low number of locos.  

As I said above the old style of the NCE was why I changed, but it is a good system that was fairly cheap a while back.

regards

Doug

• RMweb Premium

It very much depends on what you are planning to do.  If you are going to be constantly switching between locos then the NCE will be a pain to use.  You would be better off with a list to scroll through, or a touchscreen selection.  However, if you will be using only one loco for a period of time, or multiple operators where each will be allocated their own loco, the "insert address" system won't be a problem. 

Also it will come down to your style preference.  Some handsets are a mass of buttons (which I find awkward to use) you might prefer touchscreen, or simply a large speed knob and direction switch like the Lenz.  We have a Signatrak in our group, where you have the choice of touchscreen operation or allocating a loco to a simple knob & switch handset.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

NCE, like Digitrax, is a US product catering to a very different sort of market. The early adopters of DCC in that country were people for whom wandering round a large layout in a basement was the way they ran trains. Multiple operators, each running just their one train, shunting, obeying signals, typically waiting the Dispatcher's authority for single-line sections. And some of us do that in Europe, too. But most European layouts, particularly home layouts, tend to have a single operator who has a central console. For them, the ability to access many trains in sequence is important. Hence the emergence of Starship Enterprise-style displays with lots of locos and everything backlit. Horses for courses. 

• Agree 1