Hornby Announce a Re-tooled Class 91 for 2020

MGR Hooper!

Looks a beautifully engineered model, and an electrical step up from previous Hornby Electrics.

I'm amused that the first 'live' customer picture is with the body off and sound mods installed!

Any chance of some re-assembled pics from all angles?

Is there a close coupling mechanism (or scope for retro-fitting) at the pointy end?

I've removed the front coupling on my 91111 and fabricated a blank for the skirt. I've also painted over the clear corners of the lights. What an odd thing to forget to paint! Anyway; 

586194972_PXL_20220324_073048908.NIGHT2.jpg.7ab05223eaa535f66f54bd3ef90e2ebd.jpg

And the metal nameplates fitted over the frankly horrible printed ones. Spot the mouse! 

PXL_20220324_071712250.NIGHT.jpg.bfde26c2f5361b227d064e876f8a0f15.jpg

I have a few issues with the buffers on mine and how they sit, but I'll post my findings once they are fixed. 

Cheers,

• Like 6

Initial impression is very good. It feels very well made.  The side grill on the chassis is metal and even the pantograph is an improvement over the APT-P.

The livery looks quite good and nicely done but it's finished with, what I would say, is an unusual sort of textured translucent varnish which makes it a little fuzzy, especially the printed name plates.  On one side of mine the printed name plate is more fuzzy than the other side.    It makes it difficult to photograph because of this finish as the light reflects differently depending on the angle.  It's more noticeable when tilting it up towards the light as in my second image.  The finish doesn't look sharp like the Hornby images but it's still nice (apart from the printed name plates which are very fuzzy).  Not run it yet.

rm2.jpg.e6ae2df33a880712fb5a1fae4968d8a3.jpgrm1.jpg.067303548ccf56574ae7d3f105730459.jpg

rm3.jpg

rm5.jpg

rm6.jpg

rm10.jpg

Edited by NewSiding
'second' image not 'first'
  • Like 4

I'm generally pleased with the model - although my first has had to go back due to a really blurry side print on one side. It does seem to have a fair bit of body roll over points and corners which is odd - but my biggest issue is decoders - I've tried 4 Function Gaugemaster decoders (and the cab lights didn't work). I've now moved to Dapol Imperium3's as suggested by Kernow, and these do allow the cab light to illuminate, but it flickers and dims as the loco pulls away, but don't go off which is weird.

What decoders are other people using and how do your cab lights perform?

Cheers, Adam

I'm guessing the decoration on this livery is some sort of transfer (a la the prototype IEP that Hornby did a detailed video on), rather than normal tampo printing. This might explain the finish or the sealing of the finish.

I presume BBMF will be similar, which is a shame (especially as they did it OK on the old tool many years ago)...

But this aside, looks a lovely model. I have BBMF on order and will be getting '31 if and when it is announced (both of which are listed to end up in preservation)

13 hours ago, adamvb said:

I'm generally pleased with the model - although my first has had to go back due to a really blurry side print on one side. It does seem to have a fair bit of body roll over points and corners which is odd - but my biggest issue is decoders - I've tried 4 Function Gaugemaster decoders (and the cab lights didn't work). I've now moved to Dapol Imperium3's as suggested by Kernow, and these do allow the cab light to illuminate, but it flickers and dims as the loco pulls away, but don't go off which is weird.

Cheers, Adam

Gaugemaster didn't work on mine either.  Reading the blurb, and perhaps i have misunderstood this, some of the lights were operating on f22.   But even on f0, no lights lit on my Gaugemaster.

Time to pull the chip out and check they're ok on DC

• Like 1

Does anyone know of an available etch for the 91/1 bodyside grilles please? I've looked In the usual places with no joy. 

I'm wanting to model 91119 in her current IC livery and it would be significantly easier to add the grilles onto IC 91002 than it would be to repaint an LNER 91118.

I know they are fairly simple items to knock up from existing etch, but if there is an off-the-shelf option I would much rather buy those. 

FB_IMG_1649060250409.jpg.7fa252666ca35ada2759d4929dce1e48.jpg

Cheers,

Edited by 60800

16 minutes ago, scumcat said:

Sorry I sort of thought that’s what you meant.

Ah sorry, I should have been more clear. When the 91's were overhauled to 91/1 spec there were extra bodyside grilles added. 

You can see the extra half-size grille next to the cab door in my shot of 19 here; 

FB_IMG_1649063128917.jpg.b8586274e2a40a228ea08189d4ac1fdc.jpg

Cheers,

Edited by 60800

The refurb definitely makes restoration to original intercity livery impossible (and 19 has smaller a Intercity logo to match the reduced space of the extra grill). I wonder if we will see Locomotive Services buying one and cosmetically restoring it to as-built condition without the extra grills. 

I presume they will end up with a couple of Class 91s for charter use on the basis of their acquisition of 87s, 90s and involvement in the 89.

• Agree 1

I had wondered about the Intercity logo. That kind of puts a spanner in the works, unless of course suitably sized replacements become available (I imagine Railtec will do them in time)

Still, it remains easier than a repaint.

Cheers,

Or wait for Hornby to announce '19 in the range next year... 

I really can't imagine it is that far down their 'list'. Then again, stranger things have happened in terms of Hornby not producing very obviously popular liveries.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

The refurb definitely makes restoration to original intercity livery impossible (and 19 has smaller a Intercity logo to match the reduced space of the extra grill). I wonder if we will see Locomotive Services buying one and cosmetically restoring it to as-built condition without the extra grills. 

I presume they will end up with a couple of Class 91s for charter use on the basis of their acquisition of 87s, 90s and involvement in the 89.

I’m sure there must have been good reason for adding the extra grill originally  I would have thought? Improved cooling and therefore reliability I would imagine.

I can’t imagine LSL, should they ever have any, wanting to make them less reliable by removing the grill just for a very slightly larger logo? But who knows! 

13 minutes ago, Global said:

I’m sure there must have been good reason for adding the extra grill originally  I would have thought? Improved cooling and therefore reliability I would imagine.

I can’t imagine LSL, should they ever have any, wanting to make them less reliable by removing the grill just for a very slightly larger logo? But who knows! 

I didn't mean 'unrefurbing' a working example. But if they bought one as as a spares donor, and then cosmetically restored it after donating useful parts (similar to what has been done with D9016 and 47841, both now in Margate), this could be an opportunity to externally restore the loco to 'as built' condition.

Just now, G-BOAF said:

I didn't mean 'unrefurbing' a working example. But if they bought one as as a spares donor, and then cosmetically restored it after donating useful parts (similar to what has been done with D9016 and 47841, both now in Margate), this could be an opportunity to externally restore the loco to 'as built' condition.

Agh I see! 

2 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

Or wait for Hornby to announce '19 in the range next year... 

I really can't imagine it is that far down their 'list'. Then again, stranger things have happened in terms of Hornby not producing very obviously popular liveries.

It would doubtless be at an even higher price with an unknown build and decoration quality though. 

Examples of 91002 have already appeared online and the decoration on it is fantastic. Recent batches of locos that have been good in the past (HST's for example) have been hit and miss with decoration so I'd much rather buy a good 91002 now and modify it than wait and see if Hornby does a poor job of 91119 next year - and as you say that's if they even do it. 

Cheers,

Edited by 60800

2 hours ago, 60800 said:

It would doubtless be at an even higher price with an unknown build and decoration quality though. 

Examples of 91002 have already appeared online and the decoration on it is fantastic. Recent batches of locos that have been good in the past (HST's for example) have been hit and miss with decoration so I'd much rather buy a good 91002 now and modify it than wait and see if Hornby does a poor job of 91119 next year - and as you say that's if they even do it. 

Cheers,

fair reasoning

• Agree 1

On 02/04/2022 at 19:06, adamvb said:

Cheers, Adam

Just as an update to this - I've now tried with a LAIS DCC 860019 6 function and everything works perfectly. Not sure why the Dapol Imperium 3 causes the cab lights to flicker (accross multiple decoders and multiple 91s) - but this has solved the issue for me. Kernow are recommending the Imperium3 for the 91 so others might come accross the same issue - would be interesting to know!

• Thanks 1

On 02/04/2022 at 10:34, NewSiding said:

Initial impression is very good. It feels very well made.  The side grill on the chassis is metal and even the pantograph is an improvement over the APT-P.

The livery looks quite good and nicely done but it's finished with, what I would say, is an unusual sort of textured translucent varnish which makes it a little fuzzy, especially the printed name plates.  On one side of mine the printed name plate is more fuzzy than the other side.    It makes it difficult to photograph because of this finish as the light reflects differently depending on the angle.  It's more noticeable when tilting it up towards the light as in my second image.  The finish doesn't look sharp like the Hornby images but it's still nice (apart from the printed name plates which are very fuzzy).  Not run it yet.

rm2.jpg.e6ae2df33a880712fb5a1fae4968d8a3.jpgrm1.jpg.067303548ccf56574ae7d3f105730459.jpg

rm3.jpg

rm5.jpg

rm6.jpg

rm10.jpg

On 02/04/2022 at 20:41, G-BOAF said:

I'm guessing the decoration on this livery is some sort of transfer (a la the prototype IEP that Hornby did a detailed video on), rather than normal tampo printing. This might explain the finish or the sealing of the finish.

I presume BBMF will be similar, which is a shame (especially as they did it OK on the old tool many years ago)...

But this aside, looks a lovely model. I have BBMF on order and will be getting '31 if and when it is announced (both of which are listed to end up in preservation)

Yes that decoration will be physically printed onto the model rather than traditional style Tampo printing, hence the texture. 

Jo

16 hours ago, Steadfast said:

Yes that decoration will be physically printed onto the model rather than traditional style Tampo printing, hence the texture. 

Jo

Does anyone have an idea what the finish is called and how I could touch it up?
Mine has a small scratch in the finish under the cab window. 
The paint underneath is ok, it's just the surface finish so that scratch is glossy instead of matt.

It's only really noticeable when tilting the body towards a light.

I think it may have got rubbed in the ice cube packaging.

p2.jpg

thanks.  yes I'm thinking that might be what's best to do - send it back.  The retailer don't have anymore in stock though and Hornby can't help, eg. they don't have replacement bodies, so it would be return and purchase somewhere else.

4 hours ago, NewSiding said:

thanks.  yes I'm thinking that might be what's best to do - send it back.  The retailer don't have anymore in stock though and Hornby can't help, eg. they don't have replacement bodies, so it would be return and purchase somewhere else.

Can't Hornby just replace the whole model for you? They have stock in their warehouse.

If it will cost you more to return and purchase elsewhere, I would certainly ask Hornby to replace. Or can you retailer order more stock?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 04/04/2022 at 13:33, G-BOAF said:

Given the extra grills were installed for sound ENGINEERING reasons there is absolutely zero chance of them being removed if anyone has any desire to actually run it (as opposed to being permanently restored for static display.

In my view the bigger issue with the extra grills is the way one straddles the white diagonal by the cab. I’m not sure if it would be possible but painting said grill slats + surround in a ‘half and half’ setup of black and white would go some way to mitigate its placement with InterCity livery applied. 

• Agree 1