Hornby Announce a Re-tooled Class 91 for 2020

MGR Hooper!

2 hours ago, 60800 said:

Sorry but this isn't true - The bodysides are mainly vinyl, just with patch painting of red on corners etc - the locos are still 95% EC Grey underneath.

The point I’m trying to make is that there is a distinct difference in the colour between the main body side and that surrounding the logo as the two were not applied at the same time. I can not find a photo of an LNER class 91 where the body side is one colour, which is how Hornby has modelled it. 

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, AndrewB7585 said:

The point I’m trying to make is that there is a distinct difference in the colour between the main body side and that surrounding the logo as the two were not applied at the same time. I can not find a photo of an LNER class 91 where the body side is one colour, which is how Hornby has modelled it. 

Oh yes I agree with that :)

The first 91 to be put into Virgin colours was 91124 in February 2015, so there's been plenty of time for the vinyls to fade. 

Somebody on a Facebook modelling group masked and sprayed a square of matt varnish to replicate the effect on an LNER HST so it might be worth trying on 91118.

Cheers,

2 minutes ago, 60800 said:

Somebody on a Facebook modelling group masked and sprayed a square of matt varnish to replicate the effect on an LNER HST so it might be worth trying on 91118.

Cheers,

That’s a good idea, I might give that a go. I might try it one side first and see how it looks. Thanks for the tip

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 60800 said:

Oh dear. 

PXL_20220426_170014333.jpg.043126fdf0b5903aa3eb5cc01395eb66.jpg

Edit: Looks like my red 91's will be getting a heavy weathering 

Blimey, that's quite a visible difference in the reds!

The red of the later LNER HST power cars (R3802) is essentially the same as the red of the earlier VTEC pairs (R3390TTS and R3502) pictured here.

So, assuming the forthcoming MkIV coaches and DVT are going to colour match 91118 (as one would hope???), there will be a significant difference between the reds on the LNER 225 and the earlier LNER HST - meaning they are going to look a bit incongruous together, which is somewhat disappointing... 😕

Just opened my Intercity one.  Very nice, with good sharp livery application.  I still struggle with the fact that that the prototypes are now at scrapping age though!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 minutes ago, 64F said:

Just opened my Intercity one.  Very nice, with good sharp livery application.  I still struggle with the fact that that the prototypes are now at scrapping age though!

My Intercity one is somewhere between Cornwall and North Yorkshire in the 'care' of Royal Mail...

Looking forward to opening it when it arrives, but at nearly 40 it makes me very sad to remember the 91s brand new and now being scrapped in a way Networkers going for cutting hasn't bothered me. 

• Agree 3

55 minutes ago, QuoitsPlayer said:

My Intercity one is somewhere between Cornwall and North Yorkshire in the 'care' of Royal Mail...

Looking forward to opening it when it arrives, but at nearly 40 it makes me very sad to remember the 91s brand new and now being scrapped in a way Networkers going for cutting hasn't bothered me. 

yes mines somewhere between Cornwall and East Anglia at the moment :)  and its why I went for the IC livery, as even though you could make a claim the GNER was the more longer lived and and classic operating style, I remember them being brand new in that IC livery, being launched as the "train of the future" on the BBC, and saw alot of the test runs on the ECML, just never got to ride behind them as often as the HSTs, and now yes it is a bit sad theyre being scrapped.

I hope Hornby do several batch runs of these going forward, as if the Mk4s are already becoming a bit scarce in the GNER spec, its going to make it a pain to get a decent rake of things later on if they dont.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stonojnr said:

I hope Hornby do several batch runs of these going forward, as if the Mk4s are already becoming a bit scarce in the GNER spec, its going to make it a pain to get a decent rake of things later on if they dont.

I've got the TSOE, Restaurant car and DVT  on order. I'm hoping Hornby do further runs of Mk4s in the future although expect we'll see EC and the GNER/Nat Ex or GNER/EC hybrids next. I'm blending the new Mk4s into my old scale length 225 set in the hope that the new 91 and DVT together with the missing items from the old tooling suite ie the TSOE and fully tooled Restaurant will make a passable train until I can add enough new Mk4s to retire the original.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, 64F said:

Would you be kind enough to post a few photos of your Intercity one please? Many thanks.

• Like 1

On 26/04/2022 at 09:34, 60800 said:

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has the GNER version as to how the numbers and stripe have been applied, as I quite fancy picking up a 91117 and renumbering it to 91132.

Cheers,

I’m about to receive my GNER one today, however my plan is to turn it into 91118 ironically. (I have also purchased 91118 but that will become 91109 in Virgin Livery, I’m thankful that the LNER over vinyl isn’t a different shade on the model I was banking on Hornby not getting the detail right). 91118 was the last to go for a repaint out of GNER blue, it lasted until around the 9th of August 2014 when it was dropped off at Doncaster Wabtec. See my own photos, note the last bits of remaining GNER orange! Now just to figure out what the last set of Mk.4 stock was in that livery 🤣

CD31768D-514E-4B1A-AFE0-AE22B7BA784C.jpeg

BD0C5453-BE96-454A-A6C7-49EAF06C72C7.jpeg

3 hours ago, cravensdmufan said:

Would you be kind enough to post a few photos of your Intercity one please? Many thanks.

Luckily I've got it with me at work as I'm going straight to my club this evening.  Apologies in advance for the quality of my photos.  Despite talking of the quality of the livery application yesterday there are small blemishes in the red/white stripe on each of the blunt end cabsides, and no doubt others will notice other things I've missed, but generally I'm happy with it.

20220427_123502.jpg

20220427_123521.jpg

20220427_123608.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

saw an IC one in my local (ish) shop yesterday. It's a really nice model but i was not blown away, could not really pick fault with it (maybe some cab detailing would be nice) just did not wow me, back in the 90's this was my first loco and so was really excited about it (i do have one on order). The pics of the LNER 91 wow me more, maybe it's the livery?

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Markwj said:

Don't think I have seen it mentioned but the next release of the 91 has been put back to spring 2023 (battle of britain livery etc).

Both 91101 and 91110 pushed back to Spring 2023, but 82205 is still listed for Autumn 2022.

I wonder if the increased production of the Jubilee Taw Valley has caused this? 

Anyway, thanks for the heads up as this has cleared up funds for other stuff this year for me 😁

Cheers,

• Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, 64F said:

20220427_123502.jpg

Absolutely gorgeous, thanks for sharing her with us. 

Just waiting to hear back from Railtec on the decals to do 91119 and I'll be getting my order in...

Cheers,

2 hours ago, XChris said:

I’m about to receive my GNER one today, however my plan is to turn it into 91118 ironically. (I have also purchased 91118 but that will become 91109 in Virgin Livery, I’m thankful that the LNER over vinyl isn’t a different shade on the model I was banking on Hornby not getting the detail right). 91118 was the last to go for a repaint out of GNER blue, it lasted until around the 9th of August 2014 when it was dropped off at Doncaster Wabtec. See my own photos, note the last bits of remaining GNER orange! Now just to figure out what the last set of Mk.4 stock was in that livery 🤣

CD31768D-514E-4B1A-AFE0-AE22B7BA784C.jpeg

BD0C5453-BE96-454A-A6C7-49EAF06C72C7.jpeg

I started Railway photography as a hobby in 2013, so I only ever caught two in blue (excluding 125 in Sky blue);

91119 on 28/04/13

FB_IMG_1651068827449.jpg.66164f612393a36d158e3b818c80ffc2.jpg

91119 on 07/06/14

FB_IMG_1651068816258.jpg.a2c3f331018a3fb28752b1b2b18bc12b.jpg

119 looked well worn but clean, whereas 118 looked very tired by the time I caught her. Ironically if 119 were not currently in IC livery I would be modelling her as the above. 

If I do pick up a GNER one, it will have to be done as 132 as she was the first I rode behind. 

Despite it's age, the photo of 118 above is still one of my favourites and my first successful attempt at panning. 

Cheers,

Edited by 60800
Added note on 91125
  • Like 2
  • Round of applause 1