Hornby Announce a Re-tooled Class 91 for 2020

MGR Hooper!

9 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

satin varnish?

Personally I would send it back for a replacement....

Id send it back even without the scratch, that just looks an awful textured finish,for a £200+ locomotive remember, I dont care if from 10 metres away its not that noticeable, thats a bad level of livery finish imo, Ive never had a model that I used a varnish coat on end up looking like that, thats almost like the application has partially melted the plastic surface.

apparently R3890 is due within the next 2 to 4 weeks, I hope the InterCity Executive livery is not similarly afflicted.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, stonojnr said:

Id send it back even without the scratch, that just looks an awful textured finish,for a £200+ locomotive remember, I dont care if from 10 metres away its not that noticeable, thats a bad level of livery finish imo, Ive never had a model that I used a varnish coat on end up looking like that, thats almost like the application has partially melted the plastic surface.

apparently R3890 is due within the next 2 to 4 weeks, I hope the InterCity Executive livery is not similarly afflicted.

Have to agree with you, that finish is horrendous - even allowing for the light and being close up it looks awful!

It reminds me of my first, and only, attempt at spraying when I was a teenager! That came out all mottled and lumpy, and clogged up all the detail! I realised I didn’t have the patience for it so have never tried again. I certainly wouldn’t want to spend 200 plus on something new with the same finish! 

I’m glad I cancelled mine back in January now, whilst I’d liked to have the livery that finish is really disappointing.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• 2 weeks later...

Just asked my retailer and he says that the LNER and GNER ones are due to them early next week. Hopefully I should have my hands on mine this time next week! So I can send them both off for reworking 🤣

• RMweb Premium

Took delivery of my GNER version today, I was nervous given Hornby’s recent track record, but pleasantly surprised that all was well. Nice crisp livery application, all detail present and correct. Just awaiting delivery of the Intercity version and the Mk4’s to match. I am hoping the new forth coming HST is just as well produced. 

• Like 2

I’ve received an email from Hornby today to say the Class 91s had arrived in stock. Considering the loco was announced in 2020 I’d say the email was written quickly. 91117 has a 16 pin DCC socket while the others have the more conventional 21 pin. 91002 was decommissioned in 2009 and 91118 revived the name Robert Louis Stevenson in 1993, and kept it from 2000 until 2009.

Having had a chuckle at that I am looking forward to my 91 turning up. However from photos the LNER logo appears to have been printed directly onto the loco body. On the real thing it was a large sticker (vinyl) placed over the VTEC logo with a distinctive difference in the shade of red. From photos I’ve seen of the models so far this appears to be missing. 

FDA4C5FA-1AA7-4B7B-AA27-EA2DE8459FDD.jpeg

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, AndrewB7585 said:

However from photos the LNER logo appears to have been printed directly onto the loco body. On the real thing it was a large sticker (vinyl) placed over the VTEC logo with a distinctive difference in the shade of red. From photos I’ve seen of the models so far this appears to be missing. 

I think that's the case with the HSTs they did a while ago too?

• Agree 1

46 minutes ago, AndrewB7585 said:

I’ve received an email from Hornby today to say the Class 91s had arrived in stock. Considering the loco was announced in 2020 I’d say the email was written quickly. 91117 has a 16 pin DCC socket while the others have the more conventional 21 pin. 91002 was decommissioned in 2009 and 91118 revived the name Robert Louis Stevenson in 1993, and kept it from 2000 until 2009.

Having had a chuckle at that I am looking forward to my 91 turning up. However from photos the LNER logo appears to have been printed directly onto the loco body. On the real thing it was a large sticker (vinyl) placed over the VTEC logo with a distinctive difference in the shade of red. From photos I’ve seen of the models so far this appears to be missing. 

Yes, as @TomScrut says, the LNER HST power cars did not have a representation of the vinyl on the bodysides.

I was also a bit mystified by the email - clearly it was not proof-read before being sent! Let's hope more care has been spent on and more attention to detail involved in producing the models themselves!

I also wonder why it mentions 'City of Leeds' (which was 91108)....

Edited by scouse889
  • Agree 1

49 minutes ago, AndrewB7585 said:

FDA4C5FA-1AA7-4B7B-AA27-EA2DE8459FDD.jpeg

It is the same red, the red on the body has faded . The vinyl was matched with the correct shaded of red.

Al Taylor

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

Well I've finally fallen foul of the 'Hornby limp' 

Opened up 91118 which arrived today and the front bogie tower flopped out, just held on by the wires. 

Marks to Hornby though, the livery application on 118 is perfect, the first time I've had a visually perfect model from Hornby in the last three or so years, so I decided to fix it. 

I had hoped to modify / detail 118 in the same way as I have 111, but alas that will have to wait as it's taken about two hours to fix and then reassemble the loco this evening.

Anyway, photos;

462579849_PXL_20220425_220757942.NIGHT2.jpg.731517c3a6cc31d6dbdebf3c8477c906.jpg

395085218_PXL_20220425_220822445.NIGHT2.jpg.4429bc7e30ab42a3406694a5ecb5bafe.jpg

210837637_PXL_20220425_220840685.NIGHT2.jpg.eb5982c01cefff3fb7e03eb05ecd73a8.jpg

1079057350_PXL_20220425_220920589.NIGHT2.jpg.c50ced1d62e1756f674736f8263332c5.jpg

The livery application is also nice and flat, so I'm reconsidering picking up another for a repaint into 91119 as very little exterior prep work will be necessary.

Does anyone know which sound decoders / projects will work properly with the lights on these please? 

Cheers,

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

These do look good, makes me regret cancelling my LNER rake. I might get the LNER Flying Scotsman rake though in due course since it is still active.

You'll have a problem finding coach B in LNER as it appears to be sold out everywhere, even with Hornby.

Cheers,

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, 60800 said:

You'll have a problem finding coach B in LNER as it appears to be sold out everywhere, even with Hornby.

Cheers,

Ah that maybe makes my mind up for me then. B is the one we can't really do without on a rake less than full length isn't it.

• Friendly/supportive 1

7 hours ago, 45125 said:

It is the same red, the red on the body has faded . The vinyl was matched with the correct shaded of red.

The vinyl is colour matched to the original paint which had already been on the locos for a few months when the new logo was applied. Even when fresh there was a distinct line between vinyl and paint which has become more pronounced over time. Even modelled in pristine condition, there should be a noticeable line between the two areas

Edited by AndrewB7585
Clarity

3 hours ago, AndrewB7585 said:

The vinyl is colour matched to the original paint which had already been on the locos for a few months when the new logo was applied. Even when fresh there was a distinct line between vinyl and paint which has become more pronounced over time. Even modelled in pristine condition, there should be a noticeable line between the two areas

Sorry but this isn't true - The bodysides are mainly vinyl, just with patch painting of red on corners etc - the locos are still 95% EC Grey underneath. 

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has the GNER version as to how the numbers and stripe have been applied, as I quite fancy picking up a 91117 and renumbering it to 91132.

Cheers,

10 hours ago, Ncarter2 said:

That LNER version looks very nice indeed. 

How is the colour match on 91118 with the previous Hornby LNER HST and Mk III coaches? The second and third releases of the Mk III coaches had a distinctly more orange tint to the red, but the LNER power cars (R3802) and first release of the Mk III coaches looked better to my eyes...

1 hour ago, 60800 said:

Sorry but this isn't true - The bodysides are mainly vinyl , just with patch painting of red on corners etc - the locos are still 95% EC Grey underneath. 

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has the GNER version as to how the numbers and stripe have been applied, as I quite fancy picking up a 91117 and renumbering it to 91132.

Cheers,

If you look carefully you will see the edges of all the vinyls where they meet and the edges where they meet the paint. I said in my early post the LNER add on was matched to the original red vinyl/paint. It shows how much the vinyl has faded with general wear and tear.

Al Taylor

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, 60800 said:

Cheers,

Model Railways Direct, The Model Centre, Cheltenham Model Centre and Collett's Models still appear to be accepting pre-orders for these (R40192) coaches - no connection, just four suppliers I checked, so seems there might still be some available....??

• Informative/Useful 2

41 minutes ago, 45125 said:

If you look carefully you will see the edges of all the vinyls where they meet and the edges where they meet the paint. I said in my early post the LNER add on was matched to the original red vinyl/paint. It shows how much the vinyl has faded with general wear and tear.

Al Taylor

The original photographer's name was hidden as this was leaked during 19's rebuild and was all over FB / twitter - EC Grey (with a lot of filler) and patch paints of red, mainly on the corners and grilles;

FB_IMG_1650970187671.jpg.d1b7742f7c1a8f399dbefcc094e4821e.jpg

Cheers,

Disclaimer - If the original photographer does come forward to claim the image and wants it removing I will happily do so. As it stands, this is the only photo 'out in the wild' of a 91/1 in LNER ownership stripped down, hence my sharing of it for educational use.

Edited by 60800
Typo
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, scouse889 said:

How is the colour match on 91118 with the previous Hornby LNER HST and Mk III coaches? The second and third releases of the Mk III coaches had a distinctly more orange tint to the red, but the LNER power cars (R3802) and first release of the Mk III coaches looked better to my eyes...

I only have the first and second release Powercars (both VTEC versions) but a rake each of first and second release Mk.3's. 

I'll unbox them tonight and take some photos :)

Cheers,

Edited by 60800
  • Like 1