Stanier tenders on BR 4-6-0's

I am trying to figure out the type of Stanier (I think) 4000-gallon tenders which would have been coupled with some ex-LMS 4-6-0's I am modelling - Black 5's and a Royal Scot. It seems there are three types - rivetted, part-rivetted/welded and plain welded tenders. As the Black 5's were such a numerous class, it would take the purchase of possibly three publications, in order to find out the tender type for my intended Black 5 locos (one of each of three variants within the class), apart from the Scot. Can anyone enlighten me with regard to some accurate information as to which tender types would have been coupled to loco numbers 45030, 45127 and 44994 please? Any information on 46146 'The Rifle Brigade' would also help; as far as I can ascertain, availability of the books with relevant Royal Scot details seems to be scanty. Any help would be much appreciated, including comments on the quality of the Comet Stanier tender kits, and ease of building.    

The details of what tender they were built with is on the Comet website. They did get swapped around, but they always had a 4000 gallon tender.

http://www.cometmodels.co.uk/modules/downloads.html#Stanier Class 5 tender allocations

Best bet would be Googling and Google Imaging the individual locomotives and seeing what type of tender they have. Put the number in and something like LMS, Black Five or 5MT 4-6-0. You would be surprised at the amount of information and photos that turn up. Also search the RCTS and Colour Rail photo archives.

Comet are up there with the best kits available. Ease of building depends on what experience you have. If you look at this website it has the instructions on it and I think it's worth checking to decide whether they are for you.

http://www.cometmodels.co.uk/

I would recommend them to someone who has done some modelling of kits, but not a total beginner. You do need to be able to use a soldering iron though.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1