Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Heljan class 28

class29returns

Do any one of you think it's fair to compare a fifty year old "toy" to a modern CAD "toy". I'd say that the die cutters that made the moulds for the H/D model did a good job for that time. I'd like to see what the same people could do with all of the modern gear.

OzzyO.   

Do any one of you think it's fair to compare a fifty year old "toy" to a modern CAD "toy". I'd say that the die cutters that made the moulds for the H/D model did a good job for that time. I'd like to see what the same people could do with all of the modern gear.

OzzyO.   

No, its not.

I can remember when my dad got me the HD version, back in the 1970's after I saw TDB968006, aka D5705, at Bristol Temple Meads. That model saw only limited use on our layout because it was heavy and as Arthur has noted it drew alot of power, not to mention that when it did run it made a growling noise that upset my mum because it was so loud.

With this Heljan version I guess the HD version will be retired, although I will keep it. However I do admit that I have thought about reworking it but as it is in original condition it may be best to put it on display.

Fair or vaild?

If we didn't compare things how would we measure progress?

OK, valid maybe a fair point. but as I said if the die cutters of fifty years ago had the modern tools how much better would the model be now? The skill was in the hands of the M/C man not a computer.

OK, valid maybe a fair point. but as I said if the die cutters of fifty years ago had the modern tools how much better would the model be now? The skill was in the hands of the M/C man not a computer.

Fair point indeed, and well made sir!

If your HD CoBo drew a lot of power it was very likely to be a degraded magnet.

I changed such a HD magnet  in a CoBo for one of the Super Neo magnets,  the loco was transformed, it will pull a house down and for slow shunting speed operation the loco will crawl but at the same time generate high torque which means stalling is very  rare.

The CoBo Crossley diesel  engines were very unreliable,  but  I read that while they serving  penance at Barrow,  the crews knew how to get the best out of them and they became decent enough work horses, there is an incident in a book, a driver of a Cobo received an instruction from a Traction Inspector riding in the cab, to notch up to full power, the driver challenged the instruction which was reaffirmed and  dutifully acted upon, a few miles later the Crossley seized!

I am lucky in that I have seen a CoBo at work, standing on the footbridge to  Carnforth shed in 1967 or 68, a CoBo pulling a  train of oil tanks  

• Like 1

Inspired by reading this thread, I ordered a Neomagnet for my HD version on Thursday, which arrived this morning and has now been fitted. Result - performance transformed and bags of power for longish trains on my gradients. Like Arthur's mine had a strip and respray some years ago, along with a bit of detailing. I didn't however change the wheels, and whatever HD variant they are they run fine on Peco code 75, with just the odd clunk on points.

As part of the process of fitting the new magnet, and taking the motor assembly to bits, I was really struck by the quality of the construction - such as screws made of decent metal that go into threaded holes in metal castings. There's no reason with a bit of TLC that the loco shouldn't last for another 40 or so years - longer than me no doubt! - but I wonder if this will also be true of today's offering by Heljan - excellent as it is in terms of detail?

Thanks to all of you in the thread for showing the way!

John Tomlinson.

Edited by John Tomlinson
  • Like 2

The Neomagnets came from a supplier on ebay, Eyespydublo, www.ebay.co.uk/sch/eyespydublo/m.html . Alternatively  www.superneomagnets.co.uk   should give a direct link. There are different magnets for different locos and he seems to carry a range. The one for the CoBo is apparently also the one that suits the Deltic.

I have edited this post several times as the links didn't work, I think it now does!

John.

Edited by John Tomlinson

In the pics above the 'face' of Arthurs excellent detailed/conversion D5702 looks better or more convincing than the Heljan one below ...or is it my fading

eyesight??

The HD loco with flush glazing and weathering does have a presence.  The Gibson wheels make a big difference,  the Heljan model rewheeled to 18.83 may make a quantum leap in appearance

The HD model lacks underframe details, the simple representation of the battery boxes is very poor, S/H  prices of the HD model were always high £75 - 100 25 years ago,, a discouragement to many to take a hacksaw to the body   some versions of the Hatton models are down to £89. Iam happy to own examples from both makers.

Edited by Pandora

Hello Pandora -would not disagree with a word of what you say, but would add that the ends of the HD class 28 where

the roof meets the front looks more rounded and prototypical than the Heljan model.

Incidentally Heljans class 58 always looked too 'flat' overall as well,though they have made some good 'uns too

in case you think I am Heljan bashing!

Paul

• 1 month later...

Great to hear praises of the HD model... it was way ahead of its time ,and as mentioned really good with flush glazing. As many will know its a noisy model,i have found that cork squares as used to protect mirrors and glass are brilliant sound mufflers and just the right size being postage stamp sized.    

• Like 1

Can  anyone  offer  advice  on removing  the  body  on the  Heljan C0 B0,  I am attempting to  fit a decoder to one  and   have  founf  it seems impossible to remove the body,  I have followed the  instructuions to the letter  ( ie insertin credit  card  at  the 4 corners  and  then parting the body sides,  grasping  the battery box  on removing the body,  but  it  just  wont  come off!!

The daft  thing  is  i   did   a C0 B0  some months back  without  problems,  and  have fitted decoders to several Heljan locos  without  problems,  it  almost  seem  that  this one's body is  glued in place!!

Edited by Stevelewis

• 1 month later...

Having um'ed and ar'ed too long back in 2011 and missed out at Hattons, I managed to pick up the blue weathered version at TrainWest today courtesy of Modelmania - didn't twig it was s/hand until getting home and needing to shovel the dust off its roof :no:

Anyway - it's a lovely thing and I'm very happy with it :sungum:

Edited by Southernman46
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

Slightly off track, but has anyone built or have pictures of a ''Q'' kits class 28 ?

( I have bought a complete kit with motor etc.....knowing that it will be rather like an MTk challenge, partially as it was a bargain and never having seen one before... May be a reason for that !

• 1 month later...

Finally have my HD class 28 with me. Stood it next to the Heljan version and had a good look at them. No need to go into detail about the differences but it has got me wanting to get the HD working again. Need new wheels and a neomagnet.

Edited by jsp3970

Slightly off track, but has anyone built or have pictures of a ''Q'' kits class 28 ?

( I have bought a complete kit with motor etc.....knowing that it will be rather like an MTk challenge, partially as it was a bargain and never having seen one before... May be a reason for that !

Oh, I did, about 20 years ago...I built a chassis for it from plasticard, iirc. I did get the thing to run using the 'as supplied' motors, but they didn't last long, and it was put away 'for a rainy day rebuild' which I've never got round to...

As for the castings supplied...*shudders at the memory*. A lot of work was needed, that's for sure.

If I do try & resurrect it I'll probably use a modern power unit, although the High Level Kits gearboxes are definitely an option too.