Llanfyllin Railway Station

I am in the process of building a model of the station at llanfyllin as part of my P4 model

I thought it would be interesting to talk through how I built it

The Station Building is still in Llanfyllin, but, is now a private residence after spending many years as an "Office Block", when its internal layout was altered.

The present owner is trying to renovate the building to become a private residence although his work is very sympathetic to the origins of the building.

post-83-127377714293_thumb.jpg

Photo of part of the current building

I have loads of photos of the station building but, these are all taken from magazines and books, (scanned and printed on A4) and I don't have the copyright for any so can't really show those

I have visited the building and taken many measurements, though I wish I had taken more, I keep finding something I don't know the size of.

Using the photos and brick counting I have made a basic plan from which I am building this model.

Here is a photo of most of the component parts for most of the walls, I have also included one which does show a photo from a book, if this is wrong I apologise, and assume it will be deleted.

post-83-127377801674_thumb.jpg

post-83-127377811251_thumb.jpg

The next task is to finishe the window bars and make a couple more walls. I have installed supports inside the walls to support a floor to enable an interior to be built in a couple of rooms these can then be lit.

The inside needs to be painted matt black to prevenyt light bleeding through.

I think it should then be ready for the brickwork to be painted prior to window glass being added and construction starting

Hope you find this interesting and if you would like more info or photos please let me know

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at the original, your copy is looking decidedly good. Have you thought of sending photos of the model to the present owner? He/She may be rather flattered at the amount of effort you've made, and as they are sympathetic to the original purpose of the building, may well be willing to allow you to measure up for features which you can't size from the photos.

Dennis

Looking at the original, your copy is looking decidedly good. Have you thought of sending photos of the model to the present owner? He/She may be rather flattered at the amount of effort you've made, and as they are sympathetic to the original purpose of the building, may well be willing to allow you to measure up for features which you can't size from the photos.

Dennis

I spent the best part of a day there last Easter measuring and chatting, I also have photos from a guy who lives in Llanfyllin called Alun Evans who has put a lot of time and enrgy into photographing Railways in North Wales, esp West Highland Railway.

This is a link to his fotopic page of Llanfyllin Station

http://alunsphotos.fotopic.net/c1524506.html

My big problem is going to be the decorative bargeboards, I have acquired some card ones from Metcalfe Models for which I am very grateful and these will fit the roof line, but, I have a cunning plan to try and build them out of Evergreen plastic strip.

Will be door building today methinks, if I am allowed to come in out of the beautiful weather

My big problem is going to be the decorative bargeboards
Why not draw them three to five times larger than required in 4mm scale and have them etched. I've seen some somewhere that might be quite close ...Not sure if it was Mainly Trains or Bill Bedford lists.

• RMweb Premium

My big problem is going to be the decorative bargeboards, I have acquired some card ones from Metcalfe Models for which I am very grateful and these will fit the roof line, but, I have a cunning plan to try and build them out of Evergreen plastic strip.

How about using the firm that Barrow Road (see his blog for loads of pics) got his shed done by? York something; they do laser cut stuff from plans. Having gone to so much trouble yourself and with such good results it might be worth a try.

My brother & family actually lives in the village and I have visited; lovely place with loads of 'arty' types. I think that when you have finished your layout you could offer to show it at some relevant village event, of which they have many I believe.

Looking forward to seeing your progress.

36E

Firstly to reply to Mallard, I did check out the Laser cutting services and at over £60 for 6 bargeboards, (I need 8 large and four small)I thought it a tad expensive.

I have taken four photos of the current state of the building, the rooves are going to be a nightmare, but * want to fit a couple of lightbulbs in first, grain of rice yellow, which gives a cosy glow.

Looking at these photos I still have a lot of work to do tidying up the windows and doors, then start painting the brickwork

post-83-127491611807_thumb.jpg

post-83-127491617567_thumb.jpg

post-83-127491624013_thumb.jpg

post-83-127491630376_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking and I hope one day the model will be in a fit condition to take to Llanfyllin

• RMweb Premium

Firstly to reply to Mallard, I did check out the Laser cutting services and at over £60 for 6 bargeboards, (I need 8 large and four small)I thought it a tad expensive.

Point taken re the cost - that's expensive! Wonder if there is some board out there already?

Good luck, 36E

Looking at these photos I still have a lot of work to do tidying up the windows and doors, then start painting the brickwork

It is looking nice, my apologies if I've missed it earlier but are you using embossed card for the brickwork and if so who's?

Adrian

It is looking nice, my apologies if I've missed it earlier but are you using embossed card for the brickwork and if so who's?

Adrian

Embossed Plasticard is SE Finecast, vacuum formed which gives a slight rounded form to the bricks. This is useful when joining at corners as you have a definitive edge to scrape which transfers the brick to the edges of the other piece.

Rounded bricks can be rubbed down to make them less prominent, but, I find once I fill up the mortar course with paint it makes little difference.

Besides on a normally viewed layout, (my station building will be at the back behind the Goods Shed) you would not notice the difference.

• RMweb Premium

Trying to sort out the roof lines this evening, nightmare they go in all directions.

Think I've managed to erect some supports/rafters.

Away for the weekend to Ashbourne in Peak District, so all the glue can set over the weekend

Don't forget to visit the Ashbourne Tunnel on the railway path; great fun. If you get as far as Parsley Hay the little bike hut has a snack bar nearby.

36E

• 2 weeks later...

Don't forget to visit the Ashbourne Tunnel on the railway path; great fun. If you get as far as Parsley Hay the little bike hut has a snack bar nearby.

36E

A few more phots of progress.

The interior walls and strengthening pieces have ben fitted, Doors and windows all fitted and as you can see two of the five chimneys have been built and fitted.

The under roof has been fitted in places and is being tacked in place in others.

Lighting has been fitted into two rooms.

post-83-12760341778_thumb.jpg

post-83-127603410693_thumb.jpg

post-83-12760341637_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

post-83-127923201124_thumb.jpg

post-83-127923205531_thumb.jpg

Progress so far, more or less ready for painting.

I need to draw the bargeboards to enable an etched brass set to be made, nightmare prospect, but at least they will be identical, which I don't think I could have done by trying to whittle them out of plasticard

It seems to have taken ages to get this far, but, because of my dodgy back, if I bend over the table for too long before it starts aching, the tiling was particularly arduous

• RMweb Premium

Progress so far, more or less ready for painting.

I need to draw the bargeboards to enable an etched brass set to be made, nightmare prospect, but at least they will be identical, which I don't think I could have done by trying to whittle them out of plasticard

It seems to have taken ages to get this far, but, because of my dodgy back, if I bend over the table for too long before it starts aching, the tiling was particularly arduous

Looking even better.

Just a thought on those barge boards. If you have to draw one could you not be 'cunning' and copy that onto some slightly thicker card and use the card instead of having to pay for an etch? Would the cutting out be too difficult even using a REALLY sharp art blade? You could use the 'Superquick' Kit method and reinforce the cut out.

On the other hand, if you have an etch produced and it is successful, you can advertise it as a 'cottage industry' product or sell it on to a kit manufacturer which might be a better option. OK, you certainly won't make a fortune BUT you might save some other poor*** all the trouble of producing a similar item!

Sincerely, Phil R.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Have you checked out the Scalelink range? Homepage is here and theres all sorts of goodies in the etched frets section. In This section fret SLF033 is listed as GWR, LMS, and general bargeboards. There may well be others, the catalogue is huge.

Your station is a stunning piece of modelling,

Cheers,

Dave.T

Thanks Dave I bought a pcket of those a while ago on the off chance they are similar, but, they look nothing like it. I am hoping to get my drawing done this week, so I can get the etchings done and the station finished by the end of august.

I am painting it at the moment, will try to post a few more phots tonight

Archived