7mm O gauge 3 way asymmetric point diagram/plan

Hang on a minute - if you are looking for an asymmetric 3 way, does that imply there is there such a thing as symmetric 3 way points?

[space reserved for the "thinking" smiley that I couldn't find]

(I don't think those things on monorails and raised garden railways where the whole section slides out count).

• Adrian T changed the title to 7mm O gauge 3 way asymmetric point diagram/plan
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 26/01/2020 at 12:05, StuartMc said:

Hang on a minute - if you are looking for an asymmetric 3 way, does that imply there is there such a thing as symmetric 3 way points?

Hi Stuart,

3-way turnouts are divided into 2 types:

tandem turnouts -- quite common on the prototype

3-throw turnouts -- very rare on the prototype and never used in running lines, for sidings only.

More info about all this here: http://templot.com/companion/3_way_tandem_turnouts.php

cheers,

Martin.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 26/01/2020 at 10:54, Adrian T said:

I need to build a 3 way asymmetric point (7mm, O gauge) for a new layout and I need a track template to build over - does anyone know a source for one of these and any other track templates?

Hi Adrian,

You can create and print 3-way and other track templates, and design your new layout, in Templot (free). See: http://templot.com

cheers,

Martin.

• Like 1

I made a 3 way turnout for which I used Trax 2 (sorry Martin).  My method was to overlay a LH curved turnout and Wye turnout, cutting away the parts I didn't need and drawing in missing bits.

P1010001-017.JPG.e6cb8ae6453fda553baeaa02c1b0f35f.JPG

This shows the timbers glued to the template.  I made a jig for the vees and you can see these laid on the template.

P1010001-020.JPG.ce4d9adab76e53d1912cc981dc23fb44.JPG

Here is the turnout almost finished.  Martin spotted a missing checkrail which was corrected. 

Peco rail, timbers and chairs.  I've moved on to wooden timbers from Intentio now.

I never did use this since the layout was abandoned for something simpler.  The exercise of building the thing was very useful.

HTH

John

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info and sorry for the tardy reply - been working overseas, now back home to track building again.  The layout space is quite small, hence the need for 3 way point and is now located on two walls of my study/office.  Really annoying is that  I can't re-use the large radius points, slips  etc. from my old double garage sized layout.

• RMweb Premium

I built one by printing off a left and right hand template from the Peco website onto OH transparency clear film and overlaid one over the other. Said point is now bedded in on our club layout.

I've since built two more from Marcway template that the people who wanted them supplied me with.

All three were O gauge.

I'd previously built three for my domestic OO layout using Templot drawn plans.

I would warn that the Peco turnout geometry is not compatible with Marcway so you can't form a crossover using one Peco and one Marway point and expect the straight tracks to end up parallel.

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Adrian T said:

Sadly Templot only works on PC, not Mac OS?

Hi Adrian,

There are several ways to run Templot on a Mac computer. The most popular and least expensive way is to use CrossOver:

https://www.codeweavers.com/products/crossover-mac

For other ideas, see:

http://templot.com/companion/for_you.php 

and scroll down to "Q. What about an Apple Mac computer ?"

cheers,

Martin.