Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

The BBC News site and its wondrous use of English

spikey

1 hour ago, tetsudofan said:

Regarding local accents have no problems with that except when our local station (Radio Kent) has an announcer from north of the border with a  very heavy accent doing the traffic news. Very confusing...….

You mean someone from Essex? :D

John P

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

I did have a laugh at Japser Carrott (native of Wolverhampton but widely considered a "Brummie")

2 hours ago, AY Mod said:

He was definitely a Brummie, never Black Country or Wulfrunian.

Born in Shaftmoor Lane, Acocks Green I understand, about half a mile from where Mrs SE was born. He went to the primary school later attended by my children for their first two years. He attended Moseley Grammar School with Bev Bevan of The Move and ELO.

• RMweb Premium

What really grates on me about the One Show is the pointless chats with presenters of other programmes and the fawning interviews with “celebrities” who are, of course, just there to plug their latest masterpiece. That and the terrible blaring theme music - IMHO just a truly horrible racket. 

Edited by Colin
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, melmerby said:

Still need a licence for live TV & iPlayer

'Your home TV Licence will usually cover you to watch live TV on any channel and BBC programmes on iPlayer on any device away from home if it is not plugged in to the mains.'

So this could be ok for UK students living away from home watching tv on their phones or tablets.  Anyone else could just put their phone in their pocket when the man calls.

I wonder if the inspector can demand to see phones or tablets for evidence of illegal watching.

10 hours ago, Free At Last said:

'Your home TV Licence will usually cover you to watch live TV on any channel and BBC programmes on iPlayer on any device away from home if it is not plugged in to the mains.'

So this could be ok for UK students living away from home watching tv on their phones or tablets.  Anyone else could just put their phone in their pocket when the man calls.

I wonder if the inspector can demand to see phones or tablets for evidence of illegal watching.

Students not living at home do need their own license, whether they have one is a different matter !!

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Free At Last said:

Not true

See licensing regulations:

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/for-your-home/students-aud1

• Like 1

14 hours ago, tetsudofan said:

Regarding local accents have no problems with that except when our local station (Radio Kent) has an announcer from north of the border with a  very heavy accent doing the traffic news. Very confusing...….

Keith

Watford gap?

18 hours ago, hayfield said:

I think the BBC is too concerned to be seen as politically, culturally and gender correct to be too worried about how things are said or written.

Radio Two's 500 Hundred Words competition is a good example. It is, actually, a very good competition to encourage children to read and write. 

Officially, Al Beeb says:

Entries will be judged on the following criteria:

- Originality
- Plot
- Characterisation
- Language
- Enjoyment

If I heard correctly, the announcer said not be judged on spellink or granmar.

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Free At Last said:

I wonder who this applies to then... https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/faqs/FAQ129

People who take a tv on holiday. That's always been part of the regs.

Students are considered to be living at a different address (they don't pay council tax at their "home" address).

18 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Radio Two's 500 Hundred Words competition is a good example. It is, actually, a very good competition to encourage children to read and write. 

That's 50,000 words!

Edited by Coppercap
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Radio Two's 500 Hundred Words competition is a good example. It is, actually, a very good competition to encourage children to read and write. 

Officially, Al Beeb says:

If I heard correctly, the announcer said not be judged on spellink or granmar.

Too many people these days rely on phone Spill-Chuckers and GrandMa checkers.

Just look at the text in many social media posts.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Free At Last said:

Stephen Nolan show?

I was on the local BBC radio phone in a few years ago about me not having or needing a licence as I don't watch Tv when the presenter's side kick tried to catch me out, saying I must be listening to the radio as I am listening to their show. I told her a licence hasn't been needed for having a radio for some years now.

Would students have a Tv set when they can watch it all on their phones/tablets now?

It's also not quite having a TV set either, I didn't need a TV licence for the set when it was sitting in storage with most of the rest of my stuff for a year. I suppose technically it wasn't capable of being used as a TV with no aerial to connect it to.

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Reorte said:

It's also not quite having a TV set either, I didn't need a TV licence for the set when it was sitting in storage with most of the rest of my stuff for a year. I suppose technically it wasn't capable of being used as a TV with no aerial to connect it to.

Indeed so - you need a licence to use any device to receive live TV broadcasts, or to watch iPlayer. It's perfectly legal to own a TV but only use it for playing DVDs, or watching non-iPlayer streaming services. Of course if you had one plugged into an aerial socket it'd be pretty hard to prove you weren't watching live though!

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, Nick C said:

Indeed so - you need a licence to use any device to receive live TV broadcasts, or to watch iPlayer. It's perfectly legal to own a TV but only use it for playing DVDs, or watching non-iPlayer streaming services. Of course if you had one plugged into an aerial socket it'd be pretty hard to prove you weren't watching live though!

You would have a problem arguing the point over that.

If you only want to watch DVDs a non tuner fitter PC monitor would do.

1 minute ago, melmerby said:

The part about a non-tuner PC monitor is true, but if the PC can use the web-based iPlayer, are we are still caught?

Has anyone successfully challenged the TV license enforcers to prove they were watching iPlayer (without a TV license). Or is another one of these laws where we're guilty unless we can prove our innocence?

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Is there really much of a difference between a monitor and a TV these days, other than size and maybe having built-in speakers? I use a monitor for a TV, via a Freesat box (there's no functioning aerial on the house), which I was doing with the TV before I got rid of it because I wanted to use that corner of the room for something else.

A once admired public servant that now increasingly displays the belief that it is our master. It is our property. Time for those we elect to do the job they are paid for, and correct this.

My favoured solution is to 'push it out into the real world', sell the existing operation as a going concern to the highest bidder, no more licence fee. The BBC product is so wonderful (so the BBC claims at least) that we will be falling over ourselves to buy their access packages. Retain all the past material (created with our money, it's the nation's property) and have a not for profit licencing operation to obtain extra income for - ooh - the NHS.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, hayfield said:

It was a case that when selling a new TV you had to give the BBC the buyers address, I doubt if that still happens

Retailers are still obliged to give the names and addresses of anyone that purchases a TV to the licencing authority, though obviously that is difficult to enforce if sales are via eBay or private sales.

jh

21 hours ago, hayfield said:

...quite often the best speakers are those whose first language is not English...

The explanation is simple, those who learn English as a 'second' language are taught it like we (people in the UK) are taught French or German, from first principles.  I have an English Language O level and I don't remember being taught anything very technical about the language.

Also many UK TV shows are shown in other countries, though explaining the expressions used in "Only Fools and Horses" or "Minder" to a German with my limited German is fun.

jh

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Reorte said:

Is there really much of a difference between a monitor and a TV these days, other than size and maybe having built-in speakers? I use a monitor for a TV, via a Freesat box (there's no functioning aerial on the house), which I was doing with the TV before I got rid of it because I wanted to use that corner of the room for something else.

A TV has a built in tuner and as such is a TV "receiver" a PC monitor isn't, (Most PC monitors have speakers, all my 4 have)

Just as a Freesat box or Freeview box is also a TV receiver, the fact there is no screen doesn't matter.

It's the TV receiving equipment that is licensed. If you use a device (PC/phone/tablet) to view iPlayer, then it is classed as a receiver.