Layout nameboard lettering

Hi all....

I posted this little tip in Stubby47's Eureka Moments thread yesterday.

I found these on a visit to The Range....

Each letter two and a half inches high in 1mm card...

99p per pack... (full alphabet plus numerals 0-9)

I bought two packs!

They were sprayed with matt varnish before mounting and painting.

In retrospect, I might have glued two or three together to give more relief, but it still looks decent enough.

post-6897-127379312784_thumb.jpg

post-6897-127379310162_thumb.jpg

post-6897-127379316025_thumb.jpg

I thought useful, where's 'The Range' nearest store ..... Truro, just down the road from Stubby47 (well he's nearer than me anyway), but as Stubby47 will confirm, it's position must get little if any passing trade, in fact I never knew they were there and I visit the Treliske industrial estate / hospital regularly.

So interesting lettering, I will have to pop in there next week.

PS: 05.21am angry.gif - yup, just geting ready to travel up to ExpoEm in Bracknel - because yesterday's times set aside to pack up was scuppered by domestic chaos due to neighbours stone boundary wall collapsing our way........ fortunatly missing my 1934 Austin 7 parked nearby, but loosening the roots of one of our Cornish elm trees.

• RMweb Gold

The Rannge is just down the road from me. It used to be Madley's DIY, then Focus DIY. With the growth of the nearby trading estate (PC World, Argos, Homebase etc) there is quite a lot of business - so much so in the first few days they had bouncers on the car park !

For those of you unable to visit a local store, I can purchase & send such items on your behalf - PM me if required.

Stu

• 4 weeks later...

I paid another visit to The Range in Swansea, yesterday, and all stocks of these letters had vanished.

From around 50 sets on display last time, there are now none left.

Lots of RMweb modellers in Swansea, then?

Either that, or some smart cookie has snapped up the UK stocks and will be selling them for more than 99p on Ebay or at shows?

Just think...ready painted, 50p a letter?

Damn, now why didn't I think of that?

I'm gonna keep my mouth shut next time.

Randall

Archived