Tallpaul69

Hello Again,

in my last post, I forgot to explain that during the operating cycle the trains will reverse.

On the layout, there are 4 up to down crossovers, two in the Bradenham Scenic area and two in the storage loops. So, for example, the Class 168 that starts in the up loops will at some stage move to the down loops and circuit there for a while, with it later reverting to the up side.

While this is easy enough for the multiple units, it is a little more difficult for the loco hauled trains, but there are sufficient LEs on the layout to make this not too difficult! Fortunately, for the freights, the modern removal of Brake vans has made this process easier.

In future posts I will detail the possible trains for the other eras of the layout.

Best regards

Paul

• Like 3

Good Afternoon, everyone,

Here are some thoughts on trains in use on Bradenham in 2007:-

The engineers sidings are a (temporary) home for a ballasting train (loco yet to be decided!). The crew will be ferried to/from Bradenham by a service train or a friendly freight crew. There may also be a few scrap wagons for variety!

So at the beginning /end of the day, the placing of trains might be as follows:-

Up loops (capacity 2 short + 2 longer trains with a combination of 2 short , or 2 LE and a short, or 4 LEs in the stub sidings:-

Class 166 Thames Trains Unit, Class 67+DVT +Wrexham and Shropshire Train, Class 31 with engineers wagons.

In the stub sidings:- Probably 2/3 Class 66s and a class 47. The aim will be to have them in different liveries and they will swap onto the freight workings or run LE during the session.  

Down loops (capacity 2 short + 2 longer trains):-

Class 166 First Great Western Livery Unit, First Great Western HST, Class 33 with tankers (to Thame). 

Up future links (capacity 2 short trains or 2LEs and a short train, or4 LEs in the stub sidings):-

Class 37+ coal wagons, Class 66 LE, Class 20 LE

Down future links (capacity 2 short trains, or 2 LE and a short train, or 4 LEs in the stub sidings):-

Class 57 + barrier coach, Class 59 LE, 1 x steam loco LE (not the same one as in 2019).

As in the 2019 version, prior to developing a WTT, running sessions could consist of running the trains from the loops around the system, sometimes one circuit at a time, sometimes more. These will be interspersed with the LEs and short trains running round, sometimes stopping at Bradenham to let another train past.  The up engineers train will pause at Bradenham to shunt/change its consist. The ballast train will come out from Bradenham yard from time to time. It may swap holding location with the engineer's train, or a short train or an LE for a while, returning to Bradenham later. Then all change, as the down trains gradually migrate to the up line and the up trains to the down line.

There are two things that I omitted from my earlier posts on the 2019 version of Bradenham:-

Firstly, it was only when writing up the above 2007 situation that I realised I had not placed anything in the Up stub sidings to the loops. So for now, I am placing a variety of LEs there!

I really must total up what locos and units I have for each era, both DCC ready and awaiting conversion. Hopefully, I will not need to buy too many extra!

Secondly, I had not written anything up on Wycombe End.

So below is a starter, which I will detail after doing the above check on locos and units, on Wycombe End suitable for both 2019 and 2007! 

As part of planning for the layout after Bradenham has been linked to Wycombe End, I have decided limited running at Wycombe End will consist of:-

Two trains + some LEs starting in the fiddle yard, and two trains + some LEs in the Wycombe End Yard.

One train at each end will be conveying wagons to/from the wagon repairers, and consumables/parts for them and the loco works.

The other will be vans to/from the distribution depot.

The LEs will be privately owned locos to/from the loco repair shops and others to work/after working the service trains.

Thus running will just consist of trains or LEs from the fiddle yard into Wycombe End yard and their disposal/stowage, interspersed with making up/ start up of trains/LEs from Wycombe End Yard to the fiddle yard. There will also be an 08 (different one in different livery for each era), to do some shunting.

I am also debating the use of something like a  class 153 to provide a workman's service to/from Bradenham. 

So here we are at the end of Bradenham and Wycombe End for 2007. 

Next time, we will move backwards again and see what the possibilities were in 1992.

Meanwhile, stay safe, and keep that modelling output coming!

Cheers

Paul

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Nick Gough said:

It sounds like changing over eras at Bradenham could be quite a time consuming operation.

How often do you anticipate doing it Paul?

Not often Nick,

I will probably start by changing over once every three months so that I get round a complete cycle in a year. So this could mean 10-12 running sessions in each era's period. Winter will clearly be a bigger challenge than the rest of the year. 

I have to leave a good amount of time for all the major jobs that need doing on the layout. It may be that I have to reduce to three eras, which would probably mean the 2007 version being killed off!  This way, I could leave the middle of winter as a dead period and run three era periods of three months each.

Changeover is going to involve running all trains one at a time to an unloading place-not sure where yet. Then, they will need loading into their storage boxes. Finally, one loco will be needed to collect all the loose stock and bring it to the unloading place, ready for boxing.

Setting up the next era will be the reverse. However, I have not yet tried doing this process, so doubtless there will be difficulties that I have not anticipated. 

So keep your fingers crossed when I publish that I am biting the bullet!

Paul

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Good Afternoon, One and All,

Cricket and Toads

No, you haven't strayed into a zoological site, I will explain:-

This week, I am having a break from detailing the workings of Bradenham in different eras, as there has not been much time for modelling. Further things needed an extra pair of hands in squaring away our son Geoff's new house they moved into 4 weeks ago. However, they had a break from this today when Geoff and our grandson Lewis took part in their first match for the cricket team in Soulbury, the village they now live in which is three miles from us. Don't know the score yet, but Geoff bats and Lewis bowls.

And Toads?

Well this week I found on a certain auction site two WR Toad brakes which I decided had relevance and therefore should have a home on Bradenham.

One is a TMC weathered version, labelled for Princes Risborough to Chinnor (for the cement works coal trains). Now invoking Rule 1 I had already decided that these trains would (to relieve pressure on Princes Risborough sidings) run from Bradenham. Mainly to allow me to legitimately run a J15, alternating with an Ivatt 2-6-2 tank!

The second Toad, was labelled for a Stoke Gifford to Banbury freight, which I have decided would be diverted via Maidenhead, and High Wycombe rather than using the Oxford route. This one is in pristine paint, so will need toning down a tad.

I have my eye on a third, which is labelled "Theale, for engineers use only". I had planned that the engineers use of Bradenham Yard would start in my 1992 era, but I must investigate where the trains from Theale ran to and see if applying Rule 1 is reasonable?

When the Toads arrive, I will post some photos.

I will not get to post much this next week as Thursday is my wife's birthday and our second son Stephen who lives in Flintshire, is coming down for the bank holiday.

So enjoy your week, keep modelling and I will post again soon.

Cheers

Paul

• Like 3

10 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Used to enjoy visiting the Three Locks more than 50 years ago.

I don't think its altered much, externally at any rate, likewise my earliest memories of the Three Locks is some 60 years ago! My parents used to take me on United Counties evening mystery tours, and this stop was a favourite with the drivers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/05/2022 at 14:41, Tallpaul69 said:

I don't think its altered much, externally at any rate, likewise my earliest memories of the Three Locks is some 60 years ago! My parents used to take me on United Counties evening mystery tours, and this stop was a favourite with the drivers.

Following on from the comments about the Three Locks, I sampled another great Pub in the Soulbury area last week. This is called "The Boot" and unlike many pubs renamed over the years has stayed this name for many years as it appears so on my 1980s 21/2 inch OS!

Anyway a party of 9 of us enjoyed a Birthday Lunch for my wife, organised by our  son Geoff who has just moved to the village. 

Otherwise, we have now completed two weeks of Birthday, family visits, Jubilees and dog sitting, so I hope next week to get back to some modelling! I intend (finally!) to post some pics of my local to Bradenham Toads which arrived last week.

I think the first task will be to start installing magnets for the Kadee couplings, but I anticipate several days of testing before I fix these down. Above mentioned Toads will also need Kadees fitting.

This will be followed by a first fix of the Bradenham engine yard and coach siding, which will also need magnets.

I also get the feeling that there might be some Manors hurtling down the delivery track in the next couple of months?

Happy Modelling All,

Cheers

Paul

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

Nearly two weeks have flown by since my last posting!

In that I was, unfortunately too quick in stating the end of a non modelling period, because soon after Covid struck.

Fortunately myself and my wife remained ok, but my brother and sister in law were not so fortunate. We think the infection came from an activity group in Caddington, the village they live in, which my sister in law attends.

We were affected because Chris, my brother in law had been scheduled to help our son Geoff with the one major job he is undertaking in the house he moved into at the end of May. This was to have been done by Nick who does a lot of building type jobs for us, but he has strained his knee and is off work for at least 4 weeks.

The job was to remove the existing built in wardrobes in the master bedroom and the similar units backing onto them in our grandson's bedroom, move the stud wall to be at the original front of the wardrobes in grandson Lewis's bedroom, and turn the space created in the master bedroom into a walk in wardrobe area.

We all agreed that as Chris had greater skills in such work than I, that he would help Geoff while Dorothy and I would provide support in the areas of dog sitting, meals etc. When Covid struck, and Geoff had a couple of days off booked for the work and the delivery of the new wardrobes was booked, the only workable solution was for me to step into Chris's shoes.

The majority of the work is now completed, with only a number of cosmetic jobs still outstanding, plus Chris and his wife, Ruth are on the mend. So provided we have a bit of luck, I may(?) get to do some modelling next week. 

Meanwhile, I hope to rest and recuperate by watching the third Test Match against New Zealand starting tomorrow.

Hopefully you all are making progress with your modelling,

Take care,

Cheers

Paul 

• Friendly/supportive 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

It is some ten days since my last posting and yet again, events have transpired to delay my modelling progress. However, I mustn't grumble as it has resulted in a job on our property being done a month earlier than I expected:-

Having enjoyed the 3rd cricket test, I was all set to get modelling when I took a call. It was a guy who had us planned into his work schedule for late July to do maintenance and painting on our fences paths and driveway. He wondered if we would be interested in him starting his six days work for us last Thursday, as another job due to start then had been delayed!

We didn't need asking twice, as this would ease a problem we had with our youngest granddaughter's birthday involving our youngest son and family staying with us during his planned July work period.

Anyway, the work has proceeded to plan and he will be with us for the final day tomorrow which will just involve a few minor items missed or delayed during the first five days work. 

I wasn't able to do too much on modelling while the work was in progress, as I always find it difficult to concentrate on such matters when a query on a job in progress might come up at any time.

So tomorrow, the works should be finished, and its also the last day of the 5th test match against India, delayed from last Autumn. My fingers are crossed that England can perform another of their last innings victories similar to those against New Zealand.

Take care all, and hopefully, in a few days, I will be able to resume updates on developments at Bradenham.

Cheers

Paul

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Good Afternoon ,one and all,

I am pleased to report that in the week since my last posting I have finally been able to carry out some modelling. I don't have any results yet to show photos of, so I thought i would put up some of the Bradenham area Toads.

Firstly, we have the Acton allocated XP labelled Bauxite example:-

bradenhamToads-5.thumb.jpg.981194e43637e4e05af915d9c4fd5de8.jpg

This would have been used on the Acton through express freights to the Birmingham Area

Next we have a local van, allocated to the Princes Risborough to Chinnor coal traffic, which in my Bradenham World, starts from Bradenham!

bradenhamToads-3.thumb.jpg.de809409ca37c0bd191d765720f0e0fc.jpg 

This second hand example was weathered by TMC.

Next, we have the fictional Bradenham to Wycombe End van, bearing a suitable restriction board.

bradenhamToads-2.thumb.jpg.deeb854e73ce9f60392c229622ecc035.jpg

This board, it is said, was knocked up by the two C&W lads allocated to Bradenham to keep the overnight stabled coach sets running!

Finally, in this first selection, we have the van off the Stoke Gifford to Banbury return working.

bradenhamToads-4.thumb.jpg.6fe56147ecabe0eb90bcb5619d488285.jpg

In my Bradenham world, this train which in reality was routed via Oxford, runs via Maidenhead and High Wycombe or via the Greenford loop (to save reversing at Maidenhead).

In my next selection of Toads, I will cover my Oxford Rail examples based at Basingstoke and Bordesley Junction, and my Oxford based Hornby example (which only arrived in the post today!).

Meanwhile, enjoy your modelling,

Best regards,

Paul

• Like 4

Not sure, Nick,

I would like to go, I have supported it over a good few years, and it is usually a good show, but, two factors are against it:-

Firstly, with such high temperatures expected, it might not be prudent healthwise.

Secondly, the time might be better spent on my models, and I really need to conserve funds for the new models coming later in the year, with the Dapol Manors imminent.

I may not make my mind up until Friday, but if you and any other RMers are going that would be an incentive.

Cheers

Paul

• Like 2

Good Afternoon everyone,

I had hoped to go to the Milton Keynes Show tomorrow, but events have conspired against me!

The main preventative factor is that yesterday afternoon I got a bite in my leg from something.

At the time it just felt like I had brushed against a stinging nettle, but we don't have any in the garden. I didn't think any more of it until I felt an itch in my leg  during this morning. When I looked down at my leg, I saw an area of red blotches covering some 5cms  x 10cms. I treated it with TCP, and decided that as I was going to the post office after lunch, I would go to our local pharmacy and get their advice. 

The pharmacist has confirmed that it is a bite and that keeping it exposed to the air would be good, and that it should start to clear in a couple of days. He agreed that wearing long trousers or being in a crowded location for several hours might not be helpful!

He said that I should apply anti histamine cream if it got itchy.

So tomorrow will be a modelling day, as far as possible sitting at the table on the patio, with some visits to the Railway Room.

Thus its not all bad, but it would have been nice interacting with fellow modellers - but there are other shows and other years.

Best regards

Paul

• Friendly/supportive 5

Good afternoon All,

I have finally got round to a couple of extra photos so that I can complete my review of my fleet of toads running through Bradenham.

So, firstly, here is my newly delivered Oxford RU van.

bradenhamToads-8.jpg.cf4c9670eabfdf8ca304ff54a63f1252.jpg

This newly arrived Bachmann version, will run on the Hinksey to Taplow (and return) freights. Like all my Toads it has yet to receive lamps and Kadee couplings.

Next we have the first of my Oxford Rail Toads. 

bradenhamToads-7.jpg.00beaa18ac9d101f7359e1eeece7c12d.jpg

This six wheel version could run on Birmingtam to Acton freights, where it probably should be a bauxite van, as these were not slow freights. Alternatively, I suggest that the 1935 WTT overnight Bordersley to Morris Cowley (arr 6.52.am) freight continued to run until the 1960s and was extended to Bradenham. It would have left Bradenham in the early evening to get back to Morris Cowley for a 10.10 pm departure back to Bordersley!

Then we have the second of my Oxford Rail Toads.

bradenhamToads-6.jpg.1169f6154ecfbb85419a567e976e3eef.jpg

This Basingstoke based van, probably never ran north of Reading, and is an unlikely candidate for the GW & GC, but provides variation in my Toads. I could suggest a Basingstoke to Birmingham run, but again if such a freight existed, I think it would have been a bauxite van?

Finally we have a Shrewsbury based toad.

941635064_Bradenhamtoads-9.jpg.2a755dba6660838f06a0f32ebe30c91a.jpg

This van I suggest worked the 1950WTT 12.40 am Park Royal to Worcester freight which arrived at Princes Risborough at 1.50am and its return which left Worcester at 3.30pm and reached Princes Risborough at 11.55pm. It is quite reasonable for this train to be extended to Shrewsbury!

From a long ago planned but never built Cornish layout, I have a number of Cornish based toads which I may have rebranded for other Bradenham uses! 

Meanwhile, modelling progress is slow, our having to do more dog sitting than planned due to our brother in law's continued poor health. Having recovered from Covid successfully, he has been taken to Hospital during each of the last three weekends with chest pains which have resulted in minor ops to clear clogged arteries. It seems unsatisfactory that they have not been able to treat this once and for all, but perhaps the ops prevent the application of blood thining drugs, that I would bhave thought were the answer?

Anyway, the start of the school holidays gets us out of this situation for the next six weeks as our teacher daughter in law will be at home to take care of the dog should our son need to go out to meetings.

Best regards to you All,

Take care,

Paul  

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Tallpaul69 said:

From a long ago planned but never built Cornish layout, I have a number of Cornish based toads

Paul, if they are surplus I could be interested in some! Please let me have a list.

On 21/07/2022 at 17:18, Graham T said:

I was wondering about the collective noun...

Now there's a thought!

Off the top of my head, and acknowledging Nicks thought of a knot, maybe a pond?, or a croak?, or a yard?, or .......???

There's no price for the best answer, but  there has to be a good answer out there both for the amphibians and the brake vans!

So don't be shy, I am wondering how all your minds work??

Cheers for now,

Paul

• Like 4

Hi All,

I am waiting for the delivery of two new steam locos for Bradenham:-

Firstly, a Hornby Star class 4021 British Monarch in early BR green livery that is DCC fitted. While this loco was scrapped in the early 1950s it was an Oxford loco, so is appropriate for Oxford to London via High Wycombe trains, particularly as having already a number of early emblem BR locos, I am thinking to run  Bradenham in both early 1950s version as well as my 1960-2 version. 

The second loco is a bit more tenuous in its Bradenham link! It is an A3, 60035 Windsor Lad, again in the early BR livery. While not DCC or Sound fitted, it is DCC ready and I have an A3 TTS chip in stock. Now this loco has an intriguing  connection to the GW&GC, as while it was throughout its life a Scotland allocated loco, there are stories of it visiting the GC line in 1949 and again in 1959/60. The first story relies on a poor quality photo, the second on an observer's notes. So it is an interesting talking point.

Following on from the Star, I am also investigating a Saint. This is a more difficult project as Hornby did make a model in the 1980s based on the original Triang Hall. The downside of this is that the loco was tender drive, never DCC ready and only one BR version was made Cleveland Court in BR Black.

When the Saint and A3 arrive I will post photos, and keep you updated on my "Saint" hunt!

Cheers for now,

Paul

• Like 3

Good Morning All,

We have just had an enjoyable family weekend, which was less stressful than past ones as our youngest son and family were staying with elder son and family rather than us. Thus we saw them at eldest sons for youngest granddaughters eight birthday on Friday and we hosted a lunch, tea and football watch (or celebration as it fortunately turned out to be!) yesterday.

Unfortunately, instead of being sble to clear up and relax today, we had to have an early start as the contractor booked to repair our sitting room ceiling from a water leak earlier in the year, phone on Thursday to say due to another job being delayed, could he come to do ours this week!.

Just lately, we seem to have the effect on contractors of them wanting to come earlier than planned, but I would rather that than jobs being delayed.

So for the next three days we are camped out in our conservatory, and just glad the weather is fine as to get to our kitchen and upstairs we have are having to go outside via the patio and decking.

On the modelling front things will be a bit disrupted this week with the work and the subsequent clearing up, although the house will remain disrupted until we can get the new ceiling painted.

My Saint and A3 have arrived, but may not get photos until next weekend.

Also arrived is a Hornby Saint, Cleveland Court. This is a bit of a punt, as it is tender drive and very pre DCC. Opinion on RM Web seems to be that this will both be a challenge to get to DCC operation and is a unrealistic model at best!

It was not expensive and to me looks good so if it can't be made DCC, then it will be a display model.

More on this later, I have yet to talk to Anthony at AGR about the conversion.

Cheers for now,

Paul

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1