Skarloey Railway's coaching stock No. 5 'Beatrice'. Built by Brown, Marshalls and Co. Ltd of Saltley, Birmingham in 1866.

EU6q5ZwWsAA9M0k.jpg.c7f3fc1cba115a86cad52d147837227b.jpg

EU6q5ZtXsAAd4WF.jpg.456893ca813ceee4d01d26e6ea40c0c9.jpg

EU6q5ZvXkAApb3Y.jpg.2140f2d37b460c5ca03220fa76793c6c.jpg

EU6q5Z1XQAIeCOg.jpg.cf1bf94f10b1741c5046a2d65c715252.jpg

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

13 hours ago, Nile said:

Looks very nice, but those couplings are going to snag on anything between the rails.

Trialled so far and generally it's been fine.

Only one coupling dangles and that is on the brake van as it has two hooks. All other stock has one which is in use when running.

I've not liked the visual look of any of the couplings out there, and I'm just pleased I've come up with something that appears to work and visually look better.

Edited by Tom F

Here is a little something I've been playing around.

Using Awdry's writings about 'Skarloey' (the place) and the Sodor Maps as reference, here is a drawing of what the back scene of the layout will be (in due course).

Scan_2.jpeg.4c6c96be8256a35b074ddb4859337790.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

19 hours ago, NeilHB said:

That is superb Tom - very well done.

Cheers Neil. I hadn't drawn in years, so it was a nice little project to do. It makes it feel more real.

• 2 weeks later...

A bit more progress since I last posted just under a week ago.
95090641_10157516559437984_4593948705438040064_o.jpg.48df6d4af3780aea08db899949476c31.jpg

This is pretty much the condition No. 3 will be depicted in, minus buffer with Corris coupling. Of course in my case it's a Mid Sodor coupling and the loco will be in Skarloey Crimson.

Abergynolwyn_station_geograph-3278206-by-Ben-Brooksbank.jpg.110c26eae2836453d07764772e8947ab.jpg

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, BritishGypsum4 said:

Stunning work Tom. It is a joy to watch the progress happen. Now if only the TR fleet were available in 7mm....

Join the 7mm Narrow Gauge Association... there are lots of Talyllyn kits now available.

Baz

30 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Join the 7mm Narrow Gauge Association... there are lots of Talyllyn kits now available.

Baz

I notice you have mentioned this before in my thread Barry, care to give some examples of what Talyllyn kit's are available? I know a number of people who would be interested.

Thanks

Edited by Tom F
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Barry O said:

Baz

So is there a Dolgoch including a chassis available? Or a Midlander as delivered to the TR or even a model of Tom Rolt? Also, I know there are some parts for the carriages but we are not all fantastic modellers who can scratch build or even have an interest in scratch building parts for kits or the whole thing so are there any kits available for the Brown Marshalls? Not that I am too bothered as I managed to get Coach 1 and 2 but a 3 would be good and a kit of the Lancaster coach.

I am trying to find time to learn a CAD program so that I can do my own eventually but would happily settle for any kits now. Wagons are fine as I know where I can get them

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

PECO have provided a kit for the Body of the Fletcher Jennings loco (Branchlines do a very nice etched chassis for this)

Wrightlines supplied kits for the ex Corris Loco as well as Dolgoch. You can still occasionally get these.. but they are out of production

The 7mm Narrow Gauge are reissuing the Port Wynstay kits. I did have a recent list but I have mislaid it and they are, as yet, not on the Association website.

Worlsey works do a fair few Talyllyn coaches. From their website-

Talyllyn Railway Coaches in 7mm Scale

1/2     Brown Marshall 

3         Brown Marshall  

9         Rebuild on WG Allen U/frame  

10       Brake Rebuild on WG Allen Underframe  

14/15  First Ex Glyn Valley Rebuild  

17        Ex Corris Coach **-  

18        TR Built ** 

19        Composite Coach **30'1969   

20/21/23   Third Class Coaches *28'2" 

22        Brake30' 1972 Bogie 

* Sides, ends, floor and roof
** Sides and ends only

These really are not difficult to do - fasten together 4 sides, add floor, roof and bogies. A good way to head towards scratchbuilding. Mine are built using Ratio bogeys and standard O gauge seats

There some items on the Shapeways site. Most are based on Talyllyn stock.

Shapeways example

But, if you are a member of the 7mm Narrow Gauge Society news is more readily available (such as the Port Wynstay re-introductions as well as the Societys' own Slate wagon kits.

Baz

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, BritishGypsum4 said:

So is there a Dolgoch including a chassis available? Or a Midlander as delivered to the TR or even a model of Tom Rolt? Also, I know there are some parts for the carriages but we are not all fantastic modellers who can scratch build or even have an interest in scratch building parts for kits or the whole thing so are there any kits available for the Brown Marshalls? Not that I am too bothered as I managed to get Coach 1 and 2 but a 3 would be good and a kit of the Lancaster coach.

I am trying to find time to learn a CAD program so that I can do my own eventually but would happily settle for any kits now. Wagons are fine as I know where I can get them

Join up.. find out more easily...

Baz