Security Bars On Station Buildings

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

The prototype station building that I've based my model on had security bars on the rear windows fitted ,as shown in a 50s dated photo I have.Would these have been fitted when the building was first built or was there more honest people about then so there would be no need.Just want to get the detail right.

The prototype station building that I've based my model on had security bars on the rear windows fitted ,as shown in a 50s dated photo I have.Would these have been fitted when the building was first built or was there more honest people about then so there would be no need.Just want to get the detail right.

A location would help, city center or out in the sticks?

OzzyO.

• RMweb Gold

A location would help, city center or out in the sticks?

OzzyO.

It was a quiet country junction GW station [brent]and on the ticket office/waiting room.Thanks.

It often comes as a surprise that old buildings and property were just as closely fenced and guarded as today, even more so on warehouses, stores and shops. Grills and bars were common, and public spaces fenced. A lot of this was removed in the wars for iron scrap, and never replaced.

Station offices dealing with parcels etc would have bars set in the frame, and extensive fencing separating public and company areas. The railway property was private after all, limited access, and security of parcels etc., was important.

Barred windows were only fitted on ground floors, and later became illegal on upper stories to allow fire escape as regulations came in. Exceptions existed, breweries, and some types of warehouses had all windows barred.

A small country station would have the cash office barred, and also the parcel office barred, and often had a surrounding fence as well to allow access for window cleaning, but no access to the public or travellers.

Most windows sills would also be fitted with spikes to stop people sitting on them, and have bars, mainly it seems to stop people falling in through the glass windows.

Stephen.

Most windows sills would also be fitted with spikes to stop people sitting on them, and have bars, mainly it seems to stop people falling in through the glass windows.

Stephen.

Sounds a load of balls to me or it could just be a pain in the arse. Photos please. Do not use modern railways for this!!!!!!!!!!!!

OzzyO.

Spikes on windows sills were very common, I have no reference photos, but there were still lots fitted in the 1970's on Railway property. They date from the Victorian period. Many Victorian shop fronts had spikes as well to discourage people sitting on the window sill, and leaning against the glass panels. Many shops had permanent bars as well, up to about 4 foot up the windows.

I personally know Tonbridge Station in Kent in the 1960's had spikes on window sills, old parcel offices etc., old Victorian cast iron, not modern anti pigeon spikes. Same applied to Sevenoaks.

In the Victorian period it was far more common to bar windows as the panes were multiple, and small, and a simple hard push could break the frames, so the bars acted as security. As larger plate glass thicker glass came in from about 1870 windows could be made larger and thicker, and more secure. But Parcels offices remained barred, as did any Cash office. Many offices had the bars fitted inside the windows, sometimes both inside and outside.

The Second World War saw lots of bars, spikes and fences removed in the rush for iron scrap. Only parcel offices etc remained barred, but also many older iron fences around stations vanished. The Southern used more concrete for posts etc., never replacing the iron work removed.

I should add I professionally built architectural musuem models, and researched details like this very closely indeed.

Stephen.

Archived