Late 60s Ice Cream Van companies on the South Coast

Geep7

On 26/02/2020 at 10:05, BernardTPM said:

I would imagine in Essex for ice cream Rossi would be the Status Quo. :mocking_mini:

There were also some small local companies. One, Fella Brothers, springs to mind in Essex. One of their vehicles was a Ford E83W with a coach built body, I'm in the process of creating a 4mm replica. I can't find a photograph so it will be built from memory.

Edited by Les Bird
additional info
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, Les Bird said:

There were also some small local companies. One, Fella Brothers, springs to mind in Essex. One of their vehicles was a Ford E83W with a coach built body, I'm in the process of creating a 4mm replica. I can't find a photograph so it will be built from memory.

I remember Fella's, many of their E83W's were ex wartime NAFFI vans.  

On 26/02/2020 at 19:53, Geep7 said:

My mother mentioned the parlour at St. Leonard's, as she spent most summers down there. I guess this would be the one.

Never mind mum, I have distinct childhood memories of sitting in that parlour looking out at the rain pouring down outside accompanied by my parents and little sister and my uncle, aunt and two cousins. I would have probably been four or five at the time c1950.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I remember Fella's, many of their E83W's were ex wartime NAFFI vans.  

I've seen the pictures like the one shown in Philj W's post but I thought the Fella Brothers' one was different. My memory is vague at the best of times so I may be wrong.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Fords provided E83A tea vans during the Blitz with distinctive bodies that extended only part way over the cab. One or two of these became ice cream vans. I remember these around Hornchurch in the 50's though I can't remember which ice cream vendor operated them.

image.png.3c77d998efd5b130c6b4f9d8f519d809.png

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 27/02/2020 at 16:45, Gwiwer said:

We lived briefly in Fareham during the mid-60s.  The regular ice-cream man then was from the local firm of Verrechia.  They traded between Chichester and Fareham and were based I believe in Portsmouth.  

There are or have been numerous Verrechia ice-cream businesses including one currently trading from Cambridge which might be the same business relocated.  

The vans were cream and orange.  A Google image search for "Verrechia ice cream" will produce a range of images which might prove useful to OP.  

On 27/02/2020 at 11:20, Al51 said:

The Ice Cream van brands I remember from the Havant area in the late 60's were Verrecchia and Tonibell. Bedford Dormobiles were commonly used. Are you going to have a sound file that plays the 'music'?

Al

As mentioned by the two contributors noted, Verrichia and Tonibell were the vans I remember in Fareham round the streets from the early sixties through to the seventies. Given the OP's stated area of interest, it seems that Verrichia would be the most typical for the area. I had seen also the Walls and Lyons Maid vans, but probably on visits to Southsea or Southampton events. I can't particularly remember whose vans paraded the streets of Gosport, though, nor whose vans entertained the crowds at Lee-on-the-Solent or Stokes Bay.

• Like 1