Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Weymouth Harbour tramway countdown

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, 009 micro modeller said:

Croydon Tramlink? But apart from that I think you’re right, also the flangeways are larger than for normal trams as they’re designed for heavy rail vehicles.

Croydon is North of the M25.

• RMweb Premium

When I travelled over the tramway on the Push-Pull Farewell tour in 1988(?) there were problems with cars blocking the route then.

Sad to see it go, but unless it's being used and either bringing in enough revenue or providing an essential service to the community, there's no case to keep it. Having the old rails rusting away and in the way of other roadway improvements can't be practical in the long run.

• Agree 2

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 06/03/2020 at 13:14, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Has any work actually started yet? Nothing in the local rag (Dorset Echo) since last weekend's piece.

The track still appears to be intact along the entire length of the line from what I could see when I walked (and drove where permitted) along it on 27th September 2020. 

Images from my visit available here for anyone interested; Weymouth Harbour Tramway

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I don’t know why there bothering as it’s not actually causing any problems traffic wise and it doesn’t need any work on the infrastructure.  The money their spending could have been spent on something more beneficial.

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, jools1959 said:

I don’t know why there bothering as it’s not actually causing any problems traffic wise and it doesn’t need any work on the infrastructure.  The money their spending could have been spent on something more beneficial.

Say that to the people injured or have sustained vehicle damage as a result of the slippery rails. Yes having the rails in was a historical legacy but they were a risk in the highway, especially to cycles and motor cycles that the County highway bosses finally decided was to be alleviated by removal. Many locals are glad they are going. 

• Informative/Useful 2

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've only been along the harbour railway once, back in Feb 1980, on a boat train to get the get across to the Channel Islands. It was dark, and I don't really remember it. Somewhere in my dad's video collection there is some footage of a Crompton on it in about 1987. Here's a photo I took in May 2013.

IMAG0839.jpg

Those rails are easy enough to lose your footing on in the dry, treacherous when wet, and given the amount of alcohol consumed nearby, I can well understand concerns over the risk posed by leaving them.

It's all very well moaning about "elf & softy", but it's not so funny when you've got a twisted or broken ankle, or worse still, a head injury. Bad enough if you're young and fit, potentially fatal if you're old and infirm.

Edited by rodent279
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, rodent279 said:

It's all very well moaning about "elf & softy", but it's not so funny when you've got a twisted or broken ankle, or worse still, a head injury. Bad enough if you're young and fit, potentially fatal if you're old and infirm.

And the arrows on the road suggest another possible issue with operating a reversible single line on this section...

• Like 1