South Eastern Finecast building materials

Has anyone any experience of the Southeastern Finecast building sheets, in particular, their slate one? I've just bodged a goods shed roof using Slaters slating (!) in 4mm so I am looking for an easy alternative. The Wills sheets are too small and I doubt if I can get an invisible join between sheets, but I notice that SE Finecast offer a 14" x 9" sheet. This would be ideal.

Can the sheets simply be stuck down (as per the Wills sheets) or do they have to be cut into strips and overlapped, like the Slaters' styrene? I understand the Finecast sheets are vacuum formed, so was wondering if the slates may be a bit rounded.

I'm also curious about the brick sheets. One of the problems with both Slaters and Wills brickwork is that the vertical courses are not aligned at at all, so at corners and window and door apertures, you can get some very funny sized bricks ...

Has anyone any experience of SE Finecast materials? I'd be grateful for any comments.

David C

• RMweb Gold

I havent seen what their roof meterials are like (I did look at the weekend but couldnt see any)

The south east finecast embossed brick work is a lot better than the slatters stuff in my opinion though.

I did end up buying a sheet of the slatters slates at Expo Em yesterday, and really not impressed with it. So will be interested to hear if you do find another good method for doing roofs.

Thanks for responding. In truth, slates aren't mentioned in SE Finecast's catalogue, but they are in the price list. I think I'll wait until the Chatham show where they usually have a stand.

The problem with the Slater's slates (!) is that each strip needs so much solvent applying to make the strips lie down properly that you can end up with a goo-ey mess which is what happened to my goods shed. What I should have done was use short lengths of strip rather than try to lay strips over the whole length of the roof. Hopefully, if SE Finecast have some slating sheets, life will be a lot easier!

Best wishes

David C

I am the most awkard moddler I know, and I have managed to make a couple of roofs useing the Slaters slate.

To avoid mess, something I am highly qualified to make, I have laid each strip, except the first[bottem] one, dry, hold with 2 finger tips, [think peace sign, or if your in a bad mood...] then useing plastic weld, and a fine brush stroked the solvent along the whole length of the strip,

FINGERS OFF at once, adjust position with the tip of a knife if necessary, check it's straight, if happy,on with the next one.

I am more then aware that there are much,much better moddlers on here then me, but if this helps....

Archived