Heritage sector donation appeals (was SVR Urgent Appeal)

mdvle

• RMweb Premium

If they have compartment stock then one family per compartment, although you'll need to somehow deal with people milling around boarding and disembarking.

Or if they've got enough vans one group sealed in per van  (definitely not being serious there! :) )

• RMweb Gold
On 09/05/2020 at 16:42, Steamport Southport said:

I wouldn't be too pessimistic. I saw a thing before on the BBC earlier and they are planning on reopening museums and art galleries in the next few weeks.

Obviously when it's safe to do so.

Jason

some new guidance issued on reopening UK heritage lines when the time comes:

https://orr.gov.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0010/42877/heritage-railway-recovery-plan-in-response-to-covid-19.pdf

cheers,

Keith

• Informative/Useful 1

12 hours ago, tractionman said:

some new guidance issued on reopening UK heritage lines when the time comes:

https://orr.gov.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0010/42877/heritage-railway-recovery-plan-in-response-to-covid-19.pdf

Interesting in as much as it is a generic document covering restarting a heritage operation from a total shutdown.

Unfortunately it doesn't cover the big issue, how to actually safely carry visitors under the current circumstances, and instead says further guidance will come in the future on the issue.

Which sort of leaves the operators stuck - do they start spending the money to fulfill the requirements in the document in the hope that they can operate a profitable service, with the risk any future rules make running a service cost-prohibitive - or do they wait and see and perhaps miss out on some needed revenue.

I think if we look at the big railway and how that is adapting with both WCML and ECML intercity becoming all pre-booked seats plus a lot more cleaning of carrianges, then you can imagine how hard it is going to be for a heritage railway to adopt practical social distancing that probably has no government financial support behind it as the franchised lines have now.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

I think if we look at the big railway and how that is adapting with both WCML and ECML intercity becoming all pre-booked seats plus a lot more cleaning of carrianges, then you can imagine how hard it is going to be for a heritage railway to adopt practical social distancing that probably has no government financial support behind it as the franchised lines have now.

It was brought up in the HOC the other day by one of the MPs for NE Wales (wasn't paiding much attention to which one).

Funding is available, but like similar organisations it'll be interest free loans.

Boris even said he has photographs of himself at Llangollen with William Hague on his wall!

Jason

I do feel that people are over estimating how many people visit heritage railways at this time of year.

Unless it's an event or bank holiday they are virtually empty. I've been on trains where I've been the only passenger numerous times. That includes ones up to the size of the SVR.

Never mind getting a compartment to yourself, it's normal to get a carriage to yourself.

Jason

10 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

I do feel that people are over estimating how many people visit heritage railways at this time of year.

Unless it's an event or bank holiday they are virtually empty. I've been on trains where I've been the only passenger numerous times. That includes ones up to the size of the SVR.

We are talking about the summer, not now, as that appears to be a rough guess as to when they will be able to restart if they can.

Certainly that document is likely several weeks of work for most heritage railways to do before they can even consider opening again.