LOCH DORE

sharkman

Please note: This layout has changed considerably since my original ideas!!!

After being involved in the build of 3 exhibition layouts with other people Loch Dore (yes lock door) is my first attempt at a go it alone micro layout. The original idea was to fill in the area I had spare in my workshop with a simple L shaped fiddle yard to station terminus layout covering an area of 12'0†x 8'0†with scenic on the 12'0†length.

Because space was at a premium I really had to restrain myself on what I could run and build. With its diversity of traffic and because I liked the region I chose the branch terminus scene in Scotland during the late 1980's as the basis. I've been given an idea of location as Peterhead north of Aberdeen which could also tie in with heavy oil traffic of that period.

Like anything it has grown and with the station the main centre feature. Initially I liked the Bachmann Scenecraft country station as the main building and working the station around that. But I just could'nt get it to work till I hit on the idea of using buildings and platforms from the Metcalfe range which do work with only minor slicing around. So now we have one long island platform forming platforms 1 and 2 which will hold 4 mk1 coaches and loco easily platform 3 a shorter one for parcels.

As the station can accommodate up to a four coach train it gives me an excuse to run the obligatory sleeper formed of two mk3 sleepers a Mk2 reception/buffet and Mk1 BG (for that period). Normal passenger services are formed of mixed mk1/2 stock or DMU's with haulage in the hands of class 26/37's and 47's. I can also squeeze in a 47/7 push pull rake (in Scotrail executive livery) if I drop one mk3 or substitute them for mk2 e/f's.

Although it has been hard for me to want to go to DCC the thought of wiring in loads of separate sections and a new fleet of DCC ready locos dedicated to Loch Dore has made it the preferred choice. DCC hardware is the Bachmann Dynamis partly as it came as a good deal! But I will change eventually to the NCE version so that I can bring in a second operator who already has one!

All track and point-work is Peco code 75 something I've been used to and looks good.

The following photographs give you an idea of what I'm up to and what, hopefully will follow!

Ian

PS Waverley West & Balbeggie Sidings are most inspiring!

post-7440-12741066928_thumb.jpg

post-7440-12741068757_thumb.jpg

post-7440-127410696551_thumb.jpg

post-7440-127410703811_thumb.jpg

post-7440-12741071467_thumb.jpg

post-7440-127410718325_thumb.jpg

This is looking good.

I used to feel quite isolated in modelling Scottish Railways but recently quite a few of us seem to have surfaced so it's great to have another one on RMWeb.

As a one time comitted kettle fan I have already been drawn into the early diesel period, and I have developed a real interest in the large logo blue period.

As far as location goes, are you troubled about when stations actually closed or is it important that the location was still operational in your chosen time period?

Passenger services apart, do you have a preference for goods traffic as that may help to narrow down the location a bit.

regards

Stewart

Good to see you getting going again after your recent tribulations.

I've already picked up a 26 at a price it was rude not to, I'll have a look to see what else I've got is suitable.

Looking forward to going on the road again!

Must get off my backside and build my own go it alone layout. Not sure if it'll be O gauge or East Anglian 60's backwater in OO yet.

Gary (the NCE PowerCab owner referred to above)

Good to see you getting going again after your recent tribulations.

I've already picked up a 26 at a price it was rude not to, I'll have a look to see what else I've got is suitable.

Looking forward to going on the road again!

Must get off my backside and build my own go it alone layout. Not sure if it'll be O gauge or East Anglian 60's backwater in OO yet.

Gary (the NCE PowerCab owner referred to above)

Hi Gary think I know an 0 gauge committed enthusiast down here!!!

Nice one about the 26 my sentiment exactly you got to.

Hoping the board builder will start work shortly so we can get started in ernest and that I can barter on the building rates, I wonder if a DCC 150/1 might be enough temptation?

The Dynamis price was rude not to!

Ian

This is looking good.

I used to feel quite isolated in modelling Scottish Railways but recently quite a few of us seem to have surfaced so it's great to have another one on RMWeb.

As a one time comitted kettle fan I have already been drawn into the early diesel period, and I have developed a real interest in the large logo blue period.

As far as location goes, are you troubled about when stations actually closed or is it important that the location was still operational in your chosen time period?

Passenger services apart, do you have a preference for goods traffic as that may help to narrow down the location a bit.

regards

Stewart

Hi Stewart, have done previous Scotrail modelling of locos and rolling stock but never put it into practice on a dedicated layout.

Had thought about the Aberdeen area a sort of branch of somewhere, I'm about 87 and no thats not my age but period. Small yard with a few sidings and perhaps a trip working to a local industry. Oh forgot to mention this is a single track lead in layout from fiddle yard.

regards

Ian

Ian one of the most short sighted losses to the BR network was the Peterhead line, which closed just in time to miss the Klondike rush of the oil industry. Given some of the things you are looking for I would suggest a bit of thought on a modern (for the 80's) arrangement based on Peterhead. The logic goes;

• It would be a branch line.
  • Worked out of Aberdeen - so anything lying around Ferryhill (still open of course) would find its way up.
  • Potential for heavy freight to suit.
  • Pipe traffic (Little one for drilling and big ones for taking the black stuff ashore)
  • Increased passenger activity.
  • Local services to Aberdeen (27's/37's)
  • Through working to the South (47/4's etc)
  • Your sleeper would work as it could give the oil executives a through journey arriving in London (where all the oil money goes [sorry couldn't resist]) ahead of an early morning meeting.
  • For your 47/7 set, you could use early type Mk II's i.e. non air-con as the early Glasgow to Aberdeen extensions were not made up sets.
  • If you think about the current timetable has extended services to Inverurie. You could do the equivalent to Peterhead.

Food for thought.

Looking forward to finding out what you decide and watching progress.

John

For your 47/7 set, you could use early type Mk II's i.e. non air-con as the early Glasgow to Aberdeen extensions were not made up sets.

John

I don't know where you get the idea that the Glasgow - Aberdeens weren't "made up sets".

The early Mk2's were pulled by first Class 40s and then 47/4s until about 1982, even these had a recommended consist. (BSO, FK, RMB, 3 TSO, BSO). These were vacuum braked Mk2 stock apart from the Mk1 RMB.

From 1982 these were replaced by Mk2D air con stock with a Mk2a BSO and still pulled by 47/4s. (BSO, FO, TSOT, 4 TSO)

From early 1985 these air-con coaches were repainted ScotRail and the push-pull service started officially in the May. (DBSO, FO, TSOT, 3 TSO, Loco)

Even from 1982 some of the Glasgow - Aberdeen services used a Mk3a rake with a DBSO and a 47/7. (DBSO, FO, 4TSO, Loco)

Ian one of the most short sighted losses to the BR network was the Peterhead line, which closed just in time to miss the Klondike rush of the oil industry. Given some of the things you are looking for I would suggest a bit of thought on a modern (for the 80's) arrangement based on Peterhead.

I was just watching the BBC's Crude Britannia documentary and thinking that a what-if rail-link to one of the early platform fabrication facilities would make a fantastic model. You'd have shifts of workers coming in to a temporary station, massive amounts of steel, pipework and other materials being delivered and so on. Given the rate of building, you'd realistically be looking at several trains dropping materials every day.

If anyone could actually find the space to create a 00 version of an oil platform under construction, it would likely be even more impressive.

I don't know where you get the idea that the Glasgow - Aberdeens weren't "made up sets".

The early Mk2's were pulled by first Class 40s and then 47/4s until about 1982, even these had a recommended consist. (BSO, FK, RMB, 3 TSO, BSO). These were vacuum braked Mk2 stock apart from the Mk1 RMB.

From 1982 these were replaced by Mk2D air con stock with a Mk2a BSO and still pulled by 47/4s. (BSO, FO, TSOT, 4 TSO)

From early 1985 these air-con coaches were repainted ScotRail and the push-pull service started officially in the May. (DBSO, FO, TSOT, 3 TSO, Loco)

Even from 1982 some of the Glasgow - Aberdeen services used a Mk3a rake with a DBSO and a 47/7. (DBSO, FO, 4TSO, Loco)

Quite simple Flood - I watched them.

What I meant by not made up sets was the Edinburgh to Glasgow services were much more uniform. Glasgow to Aberdeen services often had non-aircon MkII coaches and given that that there was no need for special stock there were often odd coaches in the rake.

The OP wanted to be able to use a 47/7 and had restricted length. The point I was making allows him to do so as he could use shorter coaches and a shorter set.

Quite simple Flood - I watched them.

What I meant by not made up sets was the Edinburgh to Glasgow services were much more uniform. Glasgow to Aberdeen services often had non-aircon MkII coaches and given that that there was no need for special stock there were often odd coaches in the rake.

The OP wanted to be able to use a 47/7 and had restricted length. The point I was making allows him to do so as he could use shorter coaches and a shorter set.

Cheers guys for your help on the push pull sets - please no arguments here!!!

But I'm certainly now firmly basing the idea on the north of Aberdeen as the area. I'm not sure about a model of an oil platform that would be impressive but what about the room?

Ian

Got to admit Sulzer that you can't beat seeing the actual trains running at the time.

I can spend time checking marshalling documents and photographs but hands on experience is always best and I know from my own notes in other areas of the country that variances to the diagrammed formations occurred on an as required basis.

Sorry if I was a bit strong with my comment (I do get a bit obsessive about coach rake consists). Thank you for the clarification.

I like the idea of steel traffic for oil platforms etc, some very interesting wagons and loads there.

The way I intend to operate my own little terminus is to assume the local "industrial" customers are rail linked but "off site" and the station area is used as a marshalling yard to prepare the wagons for delivery, either by the train engine or a local shunter allocated for the day allowing lots of shunting to and from the fiddle yard with one or two wagons at a time.

That way the small branch station does not need to have the cranes or equipment to be able to handle large or heavy loads.

I trust "Bobby" will be one of the 47/7s, I thought that was a quality name for a large locomotive, along with 37s "Oor Wullie" and "Jimmy Shand"

Oor Wullie, The Broons and Merry Mac's Fun Parade on a Sunday morning, that takes me back, sadly for me, I'm old enough to remember Lobey Dosser and Elfie!!!

regards

Stewart

Hi everyone - new boards have been commisioned for Loch Dore to make it portable along with ideas for its location. I'll keep the forum updated with postings as this venture continues and can I thank everyone that has commented and given me help so far!

Ian

Hi Ian, Well another Scottish project, FANTASTIC, the more the merryer as far as I am concerned. Loved the Metcalf platforms don't they look good when laid well ! Keep it going and post more pics. Andy.  

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone just to let you know that my dormancy has been due to waiting for the arrival of the new boards for Loch Dore Mk2. The shed its in has proved to be some what of an odd size so I hope my measurements are correct (ugh if it does'nt fit in!). I know the wait will be well worth it as the builder has a good reputation and also a good modeller to! So if anyone in the East Anglia area requires layout boards and at a reasonable price then please contact me.

Let me explain how the new boards work although I'm limited to only 12'0" x 8'0" the layout being L shaped. The 12'0" section is the main station which leads into a corner tunnel and then to fiddle yard. An extra 4'0" board is available to slip in between tunnel entrance and station this will be a scenic board with bridge/viaduct being the central feature. This board will be only available to use should I put the layout up in the garden or should we be invited to a show! The fiddle yard with be a small 6'0" and a bit board although its been suggest to resurrect one of our traverser boards from our former exhibiton layout Latelee Town these boards have been stripped of track but still sound.

My ramblings leed me to admire the workmanship of Airthrey Park, Dunmar, Culreoch and Waverley West creators - such talent and all Scottish and no it does'nt make me biased. Ok perhaps it does as I'm half Scottish but I'm not telling you which half!!!

At last the new baseboards arrived last Sunday and they fitted in just like a glove which amazed me considering I'd done a lot of the measuring! The following shots show them in place and with some track placed on them just to play around with ideas. Note the PECO asymetric 3 way point something I've not used before but does save a bit of space. The last shot shows the drop in board that will contain a small viaduct across a river this will extend the layout by 4'0" and will be usefull for shows (should this happen) and by adding a key scenic feature this will also make stock moves easier with in the station. This board sits between the tunnel board (leading to fiddle yard) and station.

This weekends work is to move the boards outside and to paint all surface to seal joints and edges. The weather looks good so a good excuse also to top the tan up!!!

post-7440-127870393174.jpg

post-7440-127870395262.jpg

post-7440-127870397167_thumb.jpg

post-7440-127870399447_thumb.jpg

post-7440-127870400829.jpg

post-7440-127870402345.jpg

Ian,

I hope you don't mind me asking ....

Did you get the baseboards made professionally? If so would you mind saying who made them please as I am looking to order some in the next couple of weeks :D

Many thanks,

Dave

Hi Dave, no probs with questions yes they where made proffessionally but only because we have a very good railway modelling mate who is also a carpenter by trade. He will make baseboards up to requirements but ideally you do need to be within the East Anglia area but if this isn't a problem private me with a message and I'll give you contact info.

Hi Dave, no probs with questions yes they where made proffessionally but only because we have a very good railway modelling mate who is also a carpenter by trade. He will make baseboards up to requirements but ideally you do need to be within the East Anglia area but if this isn't a problem private me with a message and I'll give you contact info.

Thanks for the reply Ian but Cardiff is a bit far away; have tried getting a quote from one of the professional company's - they haven't responded as yet :(

Regards,

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

I thought it was about time I showed how the state of play was and also with being asked to exhibit at possibly the first of the local clubs show in May next year panic will soon set in.

Much track is down and although the accompanied photos show track in situ most has now been firmly pinned down and one board totally wired! Unfortunately I've had to create a right angled board to gain access to the fiddle yard and this using second radius style curves although it will be hidden by the trusty tunnel solution should'nt cause to much problems.

Another board is planed in order to extend the goods yard and to make more facilities for loco storage and re-fuelling. This board will be only available if the layout goes out of its present home and was to be exhibited.

Although at present the tunnel goes straight into the station the idea is that when the layout goes out an extra scenic board slots in here and now a second one is planed and as I said will give better loco facilities and extend good yard.

post-7440-128070148616_thumb.jpg

post-7440-128070154123_thumb.jpg

post-7440-128070158457_thumb.jpg

post-7440-128070163201_thumb.jpg

post-7440-128070175462_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

The past month has seen much activity with boards going from just track to now the station and throat area completely ballasted! The station plan has somewhat been changed with an extra platform added to hold either DMU or parcels traffic along with a centre road. Also the sation buildings themselves modified to fit the situation, by the way any gaps in platforms are their until everything is finally fixed in permanently. The main station building is actually low releif and may seem to "float" at the end but it will have a scenery board backing it. The platforms I intend covering with plasticard paving to hide the colourations in the Metcalf platform sheeting and also to strengthen them. I have to by honest I got the idea from Simon Stevens excellent Birmingham Moor Street layout ( R.E. September issue).

The ballast will be weathered although I did this time spray all the track first Sleeper Grime so as to get the rails a rusty appearance, some ballast has already been weathered as some photos show.

By the way yes that is a Mk 2a Scotrail branded coach I did a few Hornby ones some years back I believe their Replica rub on lettering.

I'm looking for suitable station signage for the mid 80's period and thought their was available a download that would allow you to enter your own station name and then print a sheet - anyone able to help??The new Bachmann Sation Modernisation pack is excellent (44 052) one is waiting to go on.

I will continue apace as now I've been given a dealine of 21st May next year to exhibit at the Bury St Edmunds MRC new show their first for many years I just hope I can come up to standards for it!!!

post-7440-128372904001.jpg

post-7440-128372905155.jpg

post-7440-128372906635.jpg

post-7440-128372907935.jpg

post-7440-128372909096.jpg

post-7440-128372909896.jpg

post-7440-128372950212.jpg

Archived