• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Northroader said:

You’m just being a lump-sucking scrimshanker, now.

I take it that's the nautical equivalent of calling someone a rivet counter?

4 minutes ago, Northroader said:

(Practising for Sept.19th)

I'm giving three short blasts of the horn every two minutes here, since I'm going backwards in a fog of incomprehension.

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Was the term gollywobbler applied to the staysails of a square-rigged vessel?

No, they're refered to by their stay - main topgallant staysail etc. The inner-most headsail is still the 'fore topmast staysail' in full, and then the quiver of jibs (typically 'inner', 'outer' and 'flying') as we go from the bow towards the end of the bowsprit/jibboom. Gollys are a schooner thing, a development of the "fisherman's staysail" as used by the Grand Banks schooners, and yachts, with their (comparitively) large crews and need for speed.

Sounds like five short blasts would also be suitable...!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Schooner said:

20160531104134-4894376e.jpg

Like I sort of said, it's not saddle tanks we need so much as working sheep and sheepdogs. Some animals - notably cats - are well-adapted to static modelling on our layouts, but others are intrinsically active. One might get away with sound only, for sheep. We're up against Rice's Law.

That's quite some gradient on the duck-under for Worcester Bridge:

18 minutes ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

WorcesterButtsSpur11.jpg.e933ff10042f96f67d8b78f6a03e41c3.jpg

Oozing... well, just oozing. Wonderfully damp.

20160531104136-eb36927d.jpg

That seems to be a standard GWR 4-plank loaded with timber, in the earlier lettering style with G.W.R at the LH end, but the runner appears to be a dumb-buffered one-planker. Equally dumb-buffered are the pair of gable-roofed lime (or salt?) wagons; a nice contrast in fresh-out-of-the-paintshop and in-traffic-for-a-while condition, right down to the faded and stretched tarpaulin cover. As for the barges with onboard huts...

?type=responsive-gallery-fullscreen

When was the Great Western bridge rebuilt? That looks from this distance to be a Dean Goods with original S2 boiler. But this photograph should warm the cockles of the heart of any would-be manufacturer of railway cranes, showing that for all the more interesting jobs you need a pair, not just one. I could multiply examples but they's all be Midland examples. The point is, things have to be picked up from both ends...

All this and vinegar too - albeit over the other side of town.

Not to mention Lea & Perrins, of Midland Road.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

When was the Great Western bridge rebuilt? That looks from this distance to be a Dean Goods with original S2 boiler. But this photograph should warm the cockles of the heart of any would-be manufacturer of railway cranes, showing that for all the more interesting jobs you need a pair, not just one. I could multiply examples but they's all be Midland examples. The point is, things have to be picked up from both ends...

The original 1859 bridge was replaced with the current one in 1905.

Also yes, considering how often the Severn likes to flood I'm not surprised the track under the bridge was given a bath fairly regularly 😉

Even now the area around the old warehouses on the south side of the bridge can be under water when the river is particularly high.

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

Some pics showing the original bridge, new bridge (both with the Butts Spur running underneath), and then a nice shot from the other bank showing the rebuilding process

Going to show that there's nothing new in elegance giving way to hideousness.

3 minutes ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

20161021160730-dbfe2b68-la.jpg.08bd7cfa9051d1ab64d1125f2232f37b.jpg

Saddle tank! (Which is where we came in.)

• Like 5

What a mess this thread is! Took a while to dig out this:

worcester-bridge.jpg?s=2048x2048&w=gi&k=

Which shows off just about all one could wish to model :)

6 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Oozing... well, just oozing. Wonderfully damp.

Ew. (-zing)

6 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Equally dumb-buffered are the pair of gable-roofed lime (or salt?) wagons; a nice contrast in fresh-out-of-the-paintshop and in-traffic-for-a-while condition, right down to the faded and stretched tarpaulin cover.

Nice aren't they, and I suspect salt. Is there anything to look for on the wagons which might give it away? The railway was in the process of taking over from 'wich barges in the period

dsc_41441.jpg

which had run salt downstream from Droitwich (obvs, sorry) to Bristol and Gloucester for onward shipment. In Harriet's case, also direct to France (Le Havre in 1886 IIRC*), in a voyage reported but only indirectly documented: she got a kicking on her return voyage and was said to have finally lost to the floodwaters just past Worcester, making the helm's job easy by setting herself approximately one boatlength from the nearest bridge. Likely related to this photo, but...

bd79815136d368cc71a4b89d1ee49c0444035161

*return cargo of gilt furniture and glassware, for sale at the Birmingham antiques shop owned by a member of the extended family. So goes the story I heard anyway!

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, Schooner said:

Nice aren't they, and I suspect salt. Is there anything to look for on the wagons which might give it away?

I think lime.

20160531104136-eb36927dlimeorsaltwagoncrop.jpg.eb99cc96af8b80c5d809cea4b0254577.jpg

Keith Montague's Gloucester book has three examples of lime wagons from the 1880s, all of which are similar in outline to these two, though two have sprung buffers and the dumb-buffered example has a sliding hatch rather than a tarpaulin cover. The light colour is also characteristic but these wagons differ from the Gloucester examples in having cupboard rather than drop doors.

The book has several examples of salt wagons of similar vintage; these are more-or-less ordinary opens though two have a timber sheet bar. They are painted black.

it may be that gable-roofed salt wagons came later. This photo shows ordinary opens and conventional covered wagons (vans):

saltunionwagon.jpg

[Embedded link to Railways in Worcestershire.]

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Gold

The scruffy old bear awakes from his November sleep and drowsily sniffs the air: Is that proper GWR stock I smell? Thank you for those Worcester photos everyone, very appealing.

Louis, is there a bridge like this in your plans, and if not then why?

15 hours ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

Some pics showing the original bridge, new bridge (both with the Butts Spur running underneath), and then a nice shot from the other bank showing the rebuilding process

20160905215852-1b1d25a4-la.jpg.ea125d2ba463bc0fc4d35efe715838b2.jpg

Edited by Mikkel
I did say drowsy
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Looking through my file of old prints, collected by my grandfather, to see if there were any trows in them, I came across this view of Gloucester Docks. I think that the Foster Brothers No.2 may be too small and un-named to be a trow. But it is an interesting scene.

The Docks, Gloucester 19792 JV.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 9