RMweb

Minimum distance from edge of baseboards to track.

• RMweb Gold

In these difficult times, I’ve decided to bite the bullet and progress on my layout.  Can I ask what would be a recommended distance from the edge of the baseboards to the centre line of the nearest track?  I was thinking about 2 inches but is that a bit too close to the edge?  Any helpful suggestions would be much appreciated.

Depends if you have a sheer drop over the edge...  2" is the spacing between track centre lines in Peco Streamline OO/HO track.  Pretty good as a gap to the edge I would say but you could knock 9mm  3/8" off that to 42mm / 1 5/8ths " if you were desperate.

I would never risk even 4" gap without some barrier to catch the trains, Even a wire fence with piano wire threaded through old rails as uprights will do, I use all sorts, Rails soldered to uprights outside where there is a 3 foot drop to concrete, but  not less than 10mm above track level to keep trains running at sensible speed on the board but you need 2 or 3" to restrain a Hornby Smoky Joe at top speed.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

The track will usually curve before running parallel with the edge and if there’s a wall or backscene against the edge then the you should consider the outswing of your longest vehicles. 2” should be safe but you could get closer if you need to by using large radii and/or transition curves.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

You could get right up almost to the very edge, but in such cases, you really need to install a barrier to prevent anything falling off the edge. Perhaps some clear perspex would serve and also let you see the layout behind it?

• RMweb Gold

I'm not a fan of perspex; it reflects light and eventually scratches and fogs up, so you can't see the layout behind it properly.  There is no reason why the track can't project beyond the edge, but I wouldn't recommend it.  I would leave about half an inch clear of the outer ends of the sleepers, and have a fence or small embankment to dissuade any suicides.  If you are going to have perspex, mount it at an angle of about 30deg from level out from the board edge; it'll go long stop for any wayward stock and still enable you to see, and access, the layout.  About 4 inches will probably do, but if you can buy it in a size that's ball park suitable, use that.  Leave a ¼" gap between the perspex and the baseboard edge and mount it out on brackets, so that any detritus falls out and does not accumulate in there.

In addition to safety for stock, consider how the layout edge affects how you see the trains. It may affect any photos you take. If the track must be close to the edge, you could consider decorating the edge of the baseboards as if it were a viaduct or retaining wall.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

You could get right up almost to the very edge, but in such cases, you really need to install a barrier to prevent anything falling off the edge. Perhaps some clear perspex would serve and also let you see the layout behind it?

My layout will be a shelf style layout and is only 12 inches wide.  I’m trying to recreate Peterborough loco inspection point in the present day.  I’ve attached some pictures of what I’m trying to achieve and the line closest the edge is the line to from Peterborough to Lincoln so I’ll be running my East Midlands Trains Hornby Class 153’s, Realtrack 156 and Bachmann 158 back and forth.

Also there will be the usual freight loco’s running on and off the depot.B4AB1D69-5864-4BD9-A78F-794884E3A1A5.jpeg.721e9daf449e8c21b9b1907bc2ccc081.jpeg

9C2C3AFB-0BBA-44B5-B3CF-788405FD41D0.jpeg

A99A524E-C315-4B91-AD15-1CF17F085149.jpeg

966BE392-1FED-460A-BF5D-90D032BF5D2C.jpeg

• Like 1