Peco bullhead v scaleway

• RMweb Gold

So I will soon be thinking about what track to buy for my next adventure. In the past I have always used SMP scaleway, but now Peco bullhead is on the scene. Both are much the same price at roughly £100 for 25m. I need around 50m so price does matter. I will be marrying it to copper clad handbuilt paintwork. Does one have any advantages over the other?

I have also looked at c&l which is £145 for 25m. Is the price differential worth it?

And what are the relevant sleeper heights. With SMP I use their 1.2mm copper clad sleepers for an exact match. Is peco different?

Thanks

Have you considered using C&L chairs glued to plastic or plywood sleepers rather than solder and copper clad construction?

Advantages are; correct rail height above sleepers and not having to fit half chairs afterwards.  If you are worried about making adjustments use plywood sleepers as you can easily de-bond a chair with a razor blade and re-bond by flooding with glue.

• RMweb Gold

I've found the Peco bullhead easier to curve than SMP as there are more 'cuts' in the webs between the sleepers; I've had to manually make more cuts in the SMP track to form the curvature.

On the other hand, the sleepers can go out of alignment on the Peco track, again due to there being more cuts in the webs. So win some, lose some really....

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ramblin Rich said:

I've found the Peco bullhead easier to curve than SMP as there are more 'cuts' in the webs between the sleepers; I've had to manually make more cuts in the SMP track to form the curvature.

On the other hand, the sleepers can go out of alignment on the Peco track, again due to there being more cuts in the webs. So win some, lose some really....

Is there a difference in the depth of the sleepers?

• RMweb Gold

The SMP sleepers are slightly thinner, need to be packed up to meet Peco height. I'm using the SMP in my goods yard so set a slight downgrade at the start of the sidings, which I feel is acceptable to show a difference to the main tracks.

• Like 2