Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

i have put up a new feeding station as next door are building an extension so the fence they where on is going 

feeders

the feeding station at the other end of the garden has had two ivy's plants planted at the base of the posts 

and an extension with some netting on to hide the next doors kids windmill as it was spoking birds that has had a honeysuckle planted at its base 

feeders

the Hedgehogs must have notice that it has been a bit cooler as they food intake has gone up  we also have loads of spiders 

spider

Edited by jbqfc
spelling and for the post to make sence
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

well first update of the year 

the hedgehog is awake and bussy nest building 

blue tits are nest building in the nest box 

blackbird is nest building in our bay tree 

also seen a few bees around too 

so good news on the wildlife front not so good on the plant front 

I have lost most of the oxeye daises the rosemary and the bay is looking a bit brown and battered in places 

they are a few other plants it is a bit to early to tell yet 

John 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

10 hours ago, jbqfc said:

well first update of the year 

the hedgehog is awake and bussy nest building 

blue tits are nest building in the nest box 

blackbird is nest building in our bay tree 

also seen a few bees around too 

so good news on the wildlife front not so good on the plant front 

I have lost most of the oxeye daises the rosemary and the bay is looking a bit brown and battered in places 

they are a few other plants it is a bit to early to tell yet 

John 

It is nice seeing stuff wake up again but I've lost quite a few things due to the freeze we had early December. I planted some more Buddleia and cut all my others back, seen a few bees around too. 

• Friendly/supportive 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

front garden area 1

the front side bed is coming along well the erysimum is just coming into flower 

front garden area 2

The Hypericum is coming along better got a bit battered over winter in the back corner i have planted a Escallonia to replace the elderberry as someone kept 

snapping the soft stems  this is now in the back garden most of the oxeye daises died off over winter but i had enough seedlings spread over the garden to replant the bed 

front garden area 3

in this bed the echinacea and rudbeckia have not made it through the winter 

front garden area 4

the area by the path the Kidney vetch did not make it through the winter and the hardy geraniums have been moved to the back garden a lot of the wallflowers have also died due to all the wet 

Edited by jbqfc
spelling
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

now the back garden 

back garden area 3

the drumstick primulas are in flower the few wallflower the made through the winter are just coming in to flower with the elderberry now planted just be hide the pot

back garden area 4

the poor bay tree took a battering over the winter even some of the teasels have died 

back garden area 5

the ivy's and the honeysuckle planted last year are getting away well bottom right you can just seen the poor rosemary that has died 

back garden area 1

the drumstick primulas and the muscari are in flower every thing in this bed has come through the winter also have got a few self seeded foxgloves 

John  

• Like 4

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The garden is coming along well the bee hotel is buzzing and nearly full the blackbird raised at least one chick and now started on the second lot the blue tits are still feed the chicks a lot 

the front side bed is coming on with the potentilla fruticosa erysimum and the red and white campions now in flower 

front garden area 1

the main front garden is growing well with the marsh marigold variegated Ajuga and Aquilegia now in flower i have also added geranium Orion this is one of the cranesbill geranium and Pulsatilla vulgaris alba in the front by the path 

front garden area 4

John 

• Like 6

• 5 weeks later...

Our wildlife garden is maturing/filling out with various new perennials, alpines, annuals etc attracting all manner of bees, butterflies, moths, flies, birds and other insects...many spiders live among the slate/pebble dressing too. We have two small ponds, the one behind the flowers to the right doubling as a bird bath. I've tripled our rainwater storage potential by adding two more water butts to the original one...

BeRTIe

IMG_4760.jpeg

IMG_4747.jpeg

IMG_4751.jpeg

IMG_4266.jpeg

IMG_4762.jpeg

Edited by BR traction instructor
  • Like 8

...it is actually a steel firepit reappropriated and is around 6 inches deep. Watching Gardeners World tonight it may be a little shallow but it is certainly popular with the wildlife. We have a deeper plastic one around the front which is a similar diameter but around 18 inches deep and came from an aquatic garden centre.

BeRTIe

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

the garden is doing very well this year and is buzzing all the time 

what a difference a year makes 

front garden area 4

front garden area 4

front side bed 

front garden area 1

back top end 

back garden area 3

back middle this pond was not even dug this time last year 

back garden area 4

back bottom the honeysuckle  is getting away well  the bay is recovering well from the frost damage 

back garden area 5

the other side of the back is coming along well but the acer is struggling with the heat 

back garden area 1

that is the good bit the veg plot is not so good the wet then the sudden dry had made the shallots Lettuces and spring onions to go to seed carrots put in late but may make something

only the toms are doing well  

John 

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, sb67 said:

@jbqfc What plants do you have in your pond John? 

the back pond has  Marsh Woundwort (Stachys palustris)  Lesser Water Plantain (Baldellia Ranunculoides) water forget me not (Myosotis palustris)
Penny Royal (Mentha pulegium)

the front pond has marsh marigold (Caltha palustrisin)  mini bulrush (Typha minima)

John 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 27/06/2023 at 09:16, jbqfc said:

the back pond has  Marsh Woundwort (Stachys palustris)  Lesser Water Plantain (Baldellia Ranunculoides) water forget me not (Myosotis palustris)
Penny Royal (Mentha pulegium)

the front pond has marsh marigold (Caltha palustrisin)  mini bulrush (Typha minima)

John 

Thank you John. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

something new to the garden this year is wild parsnip you have to be carful with this as the sap can burn the skin when in the sun 

been lots of hoverfly's and bees on it 

parsnip wild

John 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I just let parts of the garden go wild.

All sorts of plants will appear and the wildlife to go with them.

The hedge between my garden and the chap next door has also, mainly due to not having the time to trim it, grown to about 3m high.

It consists of about 8 different species of bushes, so is very nature friendly.

• Like 4

Gorgeous evening sat out in the deckchairs by one of our ponds in Silloth just now, the cycling circuit was adapted earlier to collect a couple of bottles of decent Pinot but still amounted to around 20 miles...

...the tortoiseshells are everywhere and landing on us.

Young ladybird and larvae on achilliea.

A pig's snout rather than its ear...

BeRTIe

IMG_4903.jpeg

IMG_4911.jpeg

IMG_4913.jpeg

IMG_4914.jpeg

IMG_4917.jpeg

• Like 6

On 08/07/2023 at 12:11, tigerburnie said:

Apart from a bit of the liner still showing it looks like it's always been there, so much different wildlife comes to the garden these days. It's a video if you click on it with a bit of commentary.

52888523272_f98162b281_k.jpgWildlife pond by tigerburnie, on Flickr

Afraid I'm not able to see the video, looks like a nice pond. 🙂

• Like 1