Scalescenes Dock Edge - joining the sections together...

Ralf

• RMweb Gold

Hi all, 

Have been busy building the Scalescenes Dock Edge kit, and before I work out where I'm going to put the piles I realised it makes sense to work out how the sections will join together then work the spacing of piles out... BUT if you glue them end to end the right hand of each section has 1/2 a panel of concrete so when put together it doesn't match / line up... 

IMG_8742.jpg.3c67d2d9d86c55146030d8723ba27b4b.jpg

IMG_8743.jpg.7405260b7f5432408dc62046d43e5b58.jpg

How would you guys tackle this? Guessing trimming the 1/2 panel off the end - but what will give the neatest result now it's L shaped with the top and fronts... 

Many thanks

Ralf

I will use the piling to cover both joins and changes in direction of my dock walls, using the stone finish. However, if I was using the concrete panels I would trim the half panel off each right hand end, using a T square and a sharp blade.  Then join sections using the piling.

Let us know how you get on.

Steve

Edited by SteveyDee68
  • Agree 1

Ralf

Looking at your layout with this dockedge in place really drives home the difference the choice of finish makes - when I (eventually) build my bigger port layout, I shall use the concrete walls as these seem much more austerely functional than the stone walls, which seem somehow 'warmer'. It's all totally subjective, of course, but looking at Canute Road Quay and the use of concrete panels does say, at least for me, southern coastal waters!

Following your layout build with interest.

Steve S

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 23/04/2020 at 21:55, Roy Langridge said:

I would still remove the half panel using a cutting mat, a piece of wood to allow the overhang and a new blade. 

Thanks for that Roy and excuse the delay in replying, that's what I did and was very pleasantly surprised how neat and square I got the results! 

• Like 1