Middleton Top and the C&HPR

JustinDean

• RMweb Gold

More cottage work in progress. Tested out the two techniques Rob and Geraint suggested for render on some plastic strip. The talc was great for a concrete/cement style render. The ‘clumpy’ nature of it lends itself very well to that. White pepper, just looked too flat overall for my cottage although the surface was a good representation. After pondering this I realised on my cottage this would be render over stone and that the surface underneath would definitely not be flat. So now I have white pepper over a thin layer of DAS shown in the photo below. I still need to clean up around windows but I think this is somewhere close. 

The right hand side is DAS clay rolled flat to 1mm with a mini silicon rolling pin, glued to the board, trimmed and allowed to dry. I’ve marked horizontal courses in pencil as a guide for scribing.

Jay

3F8C04E0-B0DF-4A46-B387-7C1A20B30AB2.jpeg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

All round good egg Dan Evason has painted a set of Modelu figures for me and he’s done an amazing job. This lot includes me and my missus, Cazz who will be residing at Middleton Top once the cottage is finished. 

Jay

A66B5B85-CC3C-4167-A89B-6BE74FCC5346.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, JustinDean said:

Having a play around with the position of the cottage relative to the engine shed. The corner passes through the side of the shed meaning I have to get the height and angle bob on. 

042FB5B5-D4DF-48F1-BD8E-A5FBF8438EE8.jpeg

Hi Jay..

I wouldn't know where to start with that. Hats off to you !

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Hi Jay..

I wouldn't know where to start with that. Hats off to you !

Rob. 

It gets worse. The engine house, which I haven’t built yet, also has to be a specific distance and angle from the engine shed. Both of these buildings have to align with the track. I really hope I’ve laid the track correctly now!!!

…to be continued….

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Middlepeak said:

Jay,

Away with family at the moment, but when I get home I think I've got a detailed plan of the site which shows the relative position of the three buildings, if that’s of any use.

G

That would be grand mate. 
Thanks!

Jay

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Location for the cottage, engine shed and engine house. 
I’m considering marking up some foam board, using the layout baseboard as a guide, then constructing the cottage, gardens, sheds, back yard and reservoir as a diorama off the layout.

Jay

6A7EF4B5-3681-47D4-B411-4F2D695D4140.jpeg

• Like 10

Didn’t manage to visit Middleton Top when I was in the Peak District last week, but judging by those last two photos, your layout definitely captured the look and feel of the C&HPR!

It might be your camera, but does the water tank have a slight lean away from the track? Also, what’s the origin of the five plank wagons in the first photo?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Didn’t manage to visit Middleton Top when I was in the Peak District last week, but judging by those last two photos, your layout definitely captured the look and feel of the C&HPR!

It might be your camera, but does the water tank have a slight lean away from the track? Also, what’s the origin of the five plank wagons in the first photo?

Thanks for the compliment!

Yes it’s the camera; when set to wide angle anything off the center of the image tilts away. When I get the layout set up properly I’ll attempt some decent shots!

Those wagons are Ratio kits although I can’t specifically remember which one I’m afraid. 

Jay

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Middlepeak said:

Jay,

Back home tonight, so will hunt out the plan for you.

Layout looking good now, but I was a bit confused by the plant posing as a rather tropical tree in Redhill Quarry!

G

Ay, it’s Day of the Triffids up here pal!

Cheers mate. 
Jay

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

A piece of foam board has been suitably marked up for the base of the cottage ‘diorama’ along with a piece of acrylic sheet cut to form the reservoir. More of this to come over the next few weeks. 
While I have some time with the layout of added another layer of undergrowth to the man made embankment that runs in front of the water tank and coaling stage. In late summer photos this area has an abundance of depth and texture. I’m taking it slow with the layering; I don’t want it to become looking unnatural by overdoing the scenic products. On the photos below I’ve added some patches which are layers of WWS 6mm winter grass (which is quite brown) and Noch dark leaves. Next time I may add some more full leaf shrubs but this will do for now. 

Jay

00BAC7DD-AB12-4DA7-A9A1-8FEAA49B854D.jpeg

F7B2311E-BB36-4926-B8FE-962B2A86340B.jpeg

8F63B10F-7CB1-442B-86A1-8128F80C300F.jpeg

• Like 11

The first photo is the real thing and not the layout. You are to be applauded for carrying a ladder up the Middleton incline and perching it on the wall in order to get the shot.

By the way, how did you do the wall?

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

The first photo is the real thing and not the layout. You are to be applauded for carrying a ladder up the Middleton incline and perching it on the wall in order to get the shot.

By the way, how did you do the wall?

I cheated! The walls in the most part are some fairly cheapo plaster mouldings off eBay. I’ve made some DAS clay ones elsewhere on the layout and all the walls near the engine house will have to be handmade but it takes a serious amount of time and is a test of patience. 
Jay

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Spot of painting this morning. Dry brushed the cottage stonework and used a thinner wash over the render. I also finally got round to getting some paint onto the grounded MR brake van body that resides behind the water tank.
I’m doubtful I’ll get any more modelling time this coming weekend but I’m very much looking forward to meeting fellow RM Webbers at SWAG in Taunton on Sunday. 

Jay

CC804E69-9F96-4BC4-B85F-610C267C9250.jpeg

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

More work in progress on the engineman’s cottage. Not far off with this now…it’s taken two and a half weeks to get to this point and all that’s left are gutters (Modelu) and weathering. 
Small windows are scratch built using microscope slide glass, plasticard strip and paper. Chimney pots are by Modelu and the roof slates are Intentio laser cut card. 
This is the first time I’ve built a building of this type and I’ve learnt a lot, which is a good job as the engine house is next and that has a myriad of materials and strange shapes and angles. The cottage stone walls could be better - I marked horizontal lines on in pencil using a ruler then free handed the scribe using this as a guide. I think it’s made the mortar lines a little to random. For the chimneys I scored using a ruler as a guide and they look way better so that will be the technique going forward. The pair of downstairs windows with the gothic style framing that match the engine house; well I would get these etched if doing this again. I also feel the rendered section is too textured due to the bottom layer of DAS not being flat enough. 
Despite my own criticisms I still like it. It’s got the feel of the prototype so it will go on the layout. Plus no one will ever get as close as these photos!

Jay

49A566B2-E7E6-4268-A3D1-AC91FF44D9CD.jpeg

B4D62990-02BA-4593-9F63-50F723393AC9.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2