Sentinel railcar interior details

As the title says, really; I've failed to turn up any interior photos or info on the colour schemes used in the Sentinel railcars. Can anyone give me any pointers?

Hi jweallieans.

Are you asking about the Sentinel railcar that used to work the Devils Dyke, LBSCR branch ?.

If so, I have seen a highly detailed 4mm. scale model of this, on a club layout of the branch. Trouble is, I can't remember which club !. It 's possible it is a southern based club, as it was exhibited at the Eastleigh Eurotrack show, some years back. Also Iv'e got a feeling that the layout has featured in a past modelling mag,

I know it's a 'long shot', but, if it were possible to discover which club, they might be able to help.

Other than this, all I've got are two exterior b/w shots. The best? one is on p.114 of B.K.Cooper's' Rail Centres, Brighton', Publ'r Ian Allan 1991. In this Pic., the sun is shining directly into the interior, but, even with this, there is very little detail to be seen.

As you can see, I can't be of much help, I'm afraid.

Regards.

Hi Ceptic,

I was actually talking about the LNER ones as on my WB here, but any information is more than I have. I gather the seats were tramway ones which you could move to face either way, but apart from that I have precisely nothing to go on. If the LNER didn't specify a particular interior finish (which I guess they didn't) then whatever I can gather from elsewhere will do me.

I'll look into that one - I had no idea the LBSCR even had one.

Ah ! !, I see !!,

Wrong end of the country, and the wrong type of Sentinel railcar.--The Devils Dyke railcar was of a different design altogether (Steam powered but with tapered ends).

The only reference I've got on the GE/LNER's, is a Skinley drawing for a 'Sentinel-Cammell Steam Rail Car "Tally Ho".

Catalogue No. P.170, available from :-

Skinley Drawings

20A Rowe Avenue,

Peacehaven,

East Sussex,

BN10 7PF

Tel. 01273 581265

Email :- skinleydrawings@rowe-avenue.freeserve.co.uk

Hope this is of help.

Regards

• 3 weeks later...

I built a NuCast kit some twenty odd years ago and asked the question then. There was a general opinion that they were tram car seats and painted in a red with a hint of greyish colour. Nobody has ever hounded me for having this interior. If the red is kept dullish and not garish you will get away with it.

• RMweb Premium

Jonathan

Not too sure about the colours but this is the only interior picture that I have turned up so far. I am sure ther is another lurking somewhere. The seats were reversibleto face in either direction.

post-6751-127603582018_thumb.jpg

Some time ago I borrowed a copy of a publicity book (hardback) published by Sentinel-Cammell. I copied all the relevent information all photos, some text etc. This includes construction details, with photos, as well as shots of both the "normal" upright Boiler and the larger boiler that was used in the double railcars. I don't think that I will infringe copyright after this length of time so perhaps I could post some of these if they are of interest.

ArthurK

Jonathan

Not too sure about the colours but this is the only interior picture that I have turned up so far. I am sure ther is another lurking somewhere. The seats were reversibleto face in either direction.

post-6751-127603582018_thumb.jpg

Some time ago I borrowed a copy of a publicity book (hardback) published by Sentinel-Cammell. I copied all the relevent information all photos, some text etc. This includes construction details, with photos, as well as shots of both the "normal" upright Boiler and the larger boiler that was used in the double railcars. I don't think that I will infringe copyright after this length of time so perhaps I could post some of these if they are of interest.

ArthurK

Copyright may be a problem if this book was "Sentinel Loco's and Concrete Cases" as a reprint was published around the 1970's or 80's and I would imagine the publishers hold the copyright. There were at least 2 runs of it as the library copy I first borrowed and the copy I now own have different covers. My copy is out on loan at the moment or I would quote ISBN numbers etc.

Phil T.

I'm very pleased this thread had suddenly burst back into life and thanks to all who have contributed. There has been no progress on the model since I was forced to fit a new bathroom so all information is still welcome.

I am still awaiting RCTS 10b from the library and have been offered another source of pictures as well, but if you have no copyright issues, Arthur, I'm sure a number of people would be interested to see yours.

I now have the book in my hands!

Title, date November 1929. Publishers apear to be The "Sentinel" Works Ltd.

post-6751-127616605999_thumb.jpg

Any comments on Copyright please.

Even allowing for the fact that copyright was quietly extended from 50 to 75 years a little while ago I would think you're in the clear with that one. As Rolls-Royce took over Sentinels I guess they are the people to check with if you think you need to.

I would be very interested in the information in your book, particularly if it covers the Ceylon Government Railway 2' 6" gauge railcars as I produce a kit for them in 7mm scale.

The reprint book I have only touches on the railcars and only standard gauge ones at that. Though it does have some photo's and diagrams of the boilers and engines, it is mostly concerned with the many and varied locomotives. Lots of useful diagrams and photo's of the mechanics of these, this too was originally published by the "Sentinel" works Ltd.

Regards

Phil T.

According to the UK Copyright Service page on copyright duration http://www.copyrightservice.co.uk/copyright/p10_duration copyright on anonymous works typically expires after 50 years. Given that this is a sales brochure from over 80 years ago, I would expect there to be no problems with reproducing it. It might be best to check with AndyY or the mods first though to check it's OK with them.

Paul

Further to the copyright, 1929 is clear for such literature according to a friend who works with legal queries for publishers, out of courtesy, as mentioned previously, by all means clear it with RR, but a simple credit is usual, and in case of subsequent catalogues repeating the same information add a tag that it came from the 1929 issue.

Stephen.

• RMweb Premium

I would be very interested in the information in your book, particularly if it covers the Ceylon Government Railway 2' 6" gauge railcars as I produce a kit for them in 7mm scale.

Regards

Phil T.

The book I have has two references to Ceylon but in 5'6" gauge. Two photos and one sketch.

Did you mean 2'6"?

ArthurK

The book I have has two references to Ceylon but in 5'6" gauge. Two photos and one sketch.

Did you mean 2'6"?

ArthurK

Yes, definitely 2' 6" gauge . Up until recently one of the cars was preserved in working order in Sri Lanka, from various snippets of information I have heard it appears it was restored by a certain amount of cannibilisation of it's two sister cars. It was in action in 1998 during a visit by a British group. I have some photo's of it in steam but not knowing who took them I am loth to publish them.

Some years ago there was a move by some of the Welshpool lads to investigate returning one of them to the UK but I'm led to believe the Sri Lankan Government were not happy about selling off their heritage and nothing came of it.

My info says that in 1927-28 six 2' 6" gauge cars were supplied to the Ceylon Government Railway, the 3 class V1 with 2 cylinder engines and chain drive, the 3 class V2 cars, numbered 331-333, were supplied in 1928 with the newly developed 6 cylinder,horizontal, underfloor engine and cardan shaft drive to one axle. The engine and boiler rated at 100hp were as those in the later LNER cars.

Regards

Phil T.

• RMweb Premium

Jonathan

I seen to be Hi-Jacking your original thread. Hope you don't mind I can start a new one if you wish but I can promise photos that I am sure will be of interest to you.

ArthurK

Phil

You are in luck a further search has one photo and one drawing of the 2'6" railcars. Here they are:-

post-6751-127620719497_thumb.jpg

post-6751-127620719252_thumb.jpg

Thanks very much, the kit isn't as far out as I thought!! Photo's are by the builder of this kit Frank Sharpe who as you can see has a wicked sense of humour.

I have now found my Sentinel book. For the information of anyone interested the Title is :- "Sentinel" Patent Locomotives and Concrete Cases. Publishers were EP Publishing Ltd of Wakefield and the ISBN 0 85409 958 1. Year of publication was 1974, the original was published by "Sentinel" in 1931

post-6862-12762139695_thumb.jpg

post-6862-1276214033_thumb.jpg

post-6862-127621408905_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

SENTENEL RAILCARS

Extracts from the Manufactures Brochure, November 1929

For those that like to get it all correct here is the detail that you need for the drivers compartment.

post-6751-127637188771_thumb.jpg

post-6751-127637188111_thumb.jpg

Hmmm... I may be some time.

The previous photo shows just how fine the lining on the cream panels was. I usually tend to thinking that lining is better overscale than missing (on coaches, e.g.) but in this case I think I'll probably skip it - once weathered it would be covered up and there's a lined one on the Vectis site at them moment which doesn't look very good at all IMHO.

Keep them coming, Arthur... I've been motivated to do some more work on the model so it' snot falling on deaf ears!

Archived