A Vintage Blue Pullman

14 minutes ago, roythebus1 said:

John, what did you use for motor bogies on your one? and can I buy a set of transfers from you? I've got 3 or 4 coaches bought built and will need to be stripped of paint and transfer.

Roy,

Two Black Beetles - one in each power car; High Level Models may well have something suitable if you can't get BBs.

The BP transfers are listed on the Cambridge Custom Transfers website - BL62 and BL63.

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Informative/Useful 1

Thanks, none of the UK suppliers seem to have Black Beetles in stock, no Tenshodo, I'll try High Level Models. Otherwise scratch-building! I've got a broken Bachy Hymek which may provide the answer of I can shorten the wheelbase! I'l have a look on your website for the transfer.

• RMweb Gold

This thread has prompted me to dig out my box of pullman parts, comprising 4 coaches (one is an early Triang, the rest are the later with moulded paint lines) and 4 power cars (two with the mould lines removed and Chris Leigh ends and two older Triang.  

I havent quite decided what I am going to finish it as, or for that matter if I will source another pair of coaches and do a Western Pullman.  When I last looked at the project I was in two minds as to whether I would chop up the spare powercars to get the doors and splice into a coach to convert to the kitchen, or if I would use the Southern Pride etches  (although it looks like the more useful kitchen etch is no longer in production).  Bogie frames are also going to be an issue given Genesis no longer trade, hopefully will not be too hard to draw up and 3d print...

Power wise I have a pair of Bachmann class 25 bogies which I will likely use, I also have a pair of 158 bogies which may also be an option.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Wonderful model John, I used to see it at Derby but from a distance as it bypassed the main station area and went via the avoiding lines next to Chaddesden sidings. It always looked very futuristic to my schoolboy eyes but like you my pocket money never even went close to a purchase:(:(.

Rgds.....Mike

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roythebus1 said:

Thanks, none of the UK suppliers seem to have Black Beetles in stock, no Tenshodo, I'll try High Level Models. Otherwise scratch-building! I've got a broken Bachy Hymek which may provide the answer of I can shorten the wheelbase! I'l have a look on your website for the transfer.

My Black Beetles were ordered directly from Australia - but that was some considerable time ago.

Avoid the Tenshedo bogies - a bit 'sprightly / gutless', by all accounts!

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold

In my mega to do pile, I have a triang blue pullman to do and I am going to be using Hornby class 67 bogies, the wheel base is approx 1mm too small, not too bad though. 

The clag.org site has a list of diesel bogie dimensions which are useful. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

In my mega to do pile, I have a triang blue pullman to do and I am going to be using Hornby class 67 bogies, the wheel base is approx 1mm too small, not too bad though. 

The clag.org site has a list of diesel bogie dimensions which are useful. 

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, rka said:

Thank you, 

I was looking at my stash of these thinking that the wheels in the kit are probably not much use. 

As for power, I used a pair of Black Beetle motor bogies which, contrary to popular belief, ARE still obtainable from the manufacturer in Australia.

John Isherwood.

• Thanks 2