RMweb

Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

It's been a while since an update but I have been getting thins done, lack of laptop has made it harder to post but I found the time to load some pics onto the wife's laptop.

first up I have weathered up a Marina, my dad owed a few of these and later an Ital which I learnt to drive in.

Cheers Peter.

Wot, no vinyl roof!

My Marina at Clayton West June1981

post-6748-0-58144700-1370206922.jpg

It was like a tank to steer and needed the tracking sorting out every time I went near a pothole!

I traded it in for a Nissan Micra in 1985

Edited by flyingsignalman
  • Like 3

Thanks Mark & Cav, I am pretty happy with Llanbourne's class 08s I spent a bit of time finding suitable pictures of Crewe allocated 08s. I spent a bit of time standing on the front step back in the day so wanted to get them looking right.

Nice one Keith, I do remember Dad hiring one with a vinyl roof while I think it was his Ital was getting fixed. Would your V reg beast be one of the later Marina's I am sure my Dads Ital was a W reg.

Thanks Ian, It is quite tempting but I need other stock before I buy one, I already have two Bachmann class 47s in my to do pile.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the post on KL, Peter. It's very easy to misjudge the size of structures. I built the cuttings for bridges that had no wing walls. When I added the wing walls, the bridges wouldn't fit. Result - one slightly demolished hillside.

Scenic work is great fun, though - usually easy to correct when something goes wrong. Have fun with your plaster bandage.

Btw, great to see the Marina debate rumbles on.... 

Jeff

Nice one Keith, I do remember Dad hiring one with a vinyl roof while I think it was his Ital was getting fixed. Would your V reg beast be one of the later Marina's I am sure my Dads Ital was a W reg.

I bought the car in April 1981 when it was about 18 months old (according to the registration date) but if I remember right, some of the components had inspection dates on them from 1977 and 1978.

I think it was the last style before the Ital was introduced.

Thanks for the post on KL, Peter. It's very easy to misjudge the size of structures. I built the cuttings for bridges that had no wing walls. When I added the wing walls, the bridges wouldn't fit. Result - one slightly demolished hillside.

Scenic work is great fun, though - usually easy to correct when something goes wrong. Have fun with your plaster bandage.

Btw, great to see the Marina debate rumbles on.... 

Jeff

Thanks Jeff,

I think I have saved the tunnelmouth, which is good as I didn't fancy making up another one.

Funny how out of all the cars I have posted on here the Marina has had the most interest.

Cheers Peter.

My dad still has his Marina (which is also a V-reg job) at the back of the garage. It comes out in the summer for a few months when there's no salt on the roads, such is its tendency to rust! It's bright orange (or vermilion, as they call it) with black interior which I can confirm gets incredibly hot in the sunshine. I don't think there was much development work on the components over the lifetime of the Marina, so by the early-Eighties it really was a very dated machine. I'm sure they even had leaf springs on the rear axle! The Ital wasn't much better, with the same chassis and engine but with a bit of re-styling on the bodywork to eke it out for another few years. It is certainly a terrifying car to travel in: the acceleration is really impressive but the road-holding virtually non-existent!

Arp

• Like 1

Well Arp your Dad has a classic, don't let the Top Gear boys see it though.

I was going to post this pic the other day, I see Kangaroos most weeks while driving about for work but I haven't seen a Koala for ages. This little chap walked across the road then turned round and walked back, sorry about the quality of the pic.

Cheers Peter. 

post-7022-0-16397300-1370435901_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-34383800-1370435998_thumb.jpg

Edited by P.C.M
  • Like 10

During the week I have sorted the tunnelmouth which I finished of today, I have also made some loads for my Bachmann and Hornby Seacows and Sealions. I have also glued the nose grille back onto 08695, and done some more to a Cambrian Whale kit that I started last year, though it would seem I have lost two of the buffers. Any ideas on whitemetal or brass replacements.

Also another pic of 08472 taken with a better camera. 

Cheers Peter. 

post-7022-0-77510900-1370784904_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-29313400-1370784940_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-51098800-1370784973_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-42884200-1370785009_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-88346900-1370785041_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-96014500-1370785072_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-96507300-1370785103_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

Hi P.C.M,

I think you might find that MJT/Dart castings do supply the sort of buffers you need, maybe even sprung ones.  I bought some of the smaller Oleo (sprung) type from them recently and they are very good indeed.

All the best,

Colin

Thanks Colin,

Your mention of Oleo buffers got me thinking.

I had a rummage through my bits box and found some that I think will do the job, they are a good match with the buffers on my Bachmann Sealion so will do. I will still have to get some more as I plan to do another two Whales. The buffers I have are brass but no idea what make they are.

Cheers Peter.

I was going to post this pic the other day, I see Kangaroos most weeks while driving about for work but I haven't seen a Koala for ages. This little chap walked across the road then turned round and walked back, sorry about the quality of the pic.

Don't they teach the Green Cross Code down-under???? :mosking:

Cheers

Lee

Don't they teach the Green Cross Code down-under???? :mosking:

Cheers

Lee

They do but those Koala's are such rebels they don't give a f###.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

Paying my monthly (or thereabouts) visit to Llanbourne and have to compliment you Peter on the Marina as well as the 08 shot which others have also commented on.  Superb work.  The koalas look extremely lifelike as well ;)  .

Miserable weather is keeping me indoors for now and thinking whether I might need some sort of shed instead of the existing lean-to which is near the end of its useful life.

Do we see you on Saturday at the Thread Hijackers Gathering?

• Like 1

I expect PCM, SRman's and maybe even markg could turn up. One thing I will not be serving those vicious nasty creatures... Koalas or possums... Barbequed or otherwise... One thing I will need to do is tidy up the layout... Well the entire room needs a clean out... And clean up... There will also be a p4 and em test track if any one is interested. Don't think I will fire up the open fire place as the house will over heat with the small turn outs we get with BRMA

• Like 1

What can I say to that Sir?... Parking might be at a premium at the bottom of the court. I will say that 20 or so, is about is the average turn out at the moment. Just as well the house is big enough to get just about every one in.... Not too many sitting in the rain. It will be an enjoyable afternoon.

Are Kola,s tasty to eat?

In a word No, but Kangaroo is quite popular though I am not keen on it. Actually saw some today only a few minuted from home.

Cheers Peter. 

Paying my monthly (or thereabouts) visit to Llanbourne and have to compliment you Peter on the Marina as well as the 08 shot which others have also commented on.  Superb work.  The koalas look extremely lifelike as well ;)  .

Miserable weather is keeping me indoors for now and thinking whether I might need some sort of shed instead of the existing lean-to which is near the end of its useful life.

Do we see you on Saturday at the Thread Hijackers Gathering?

Thanks Rick,

As you say a bit of a wet one today, Leanne had a clothing party so I was out in the garage all evening, once the heaters been on for a bit it's quite snug. Back inside now with the wood heater on. 

I am planning to go up to young Mr Doug's meeting I can pick you up if you want. 

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

Definitely intending to be at Mr Doug's and was thinking of making more of a day out and combining it with a trip to Branch Line as I'm home alone this week.  I might even bring along a couple of goodies for show 'n' tell though they won't run too well on his nice DCC set up.

• Like 1