RMweb

Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

Crickey Peter, I thought I'd clicked on the wrong thread for a moment when I saw those steamies come up! SRman's right though - sound ,steam, you're teetering on the edge of a financial precipice, you know! :D

Seriously though, the disused siding is a nice touch. I think for most people (including me) the temptation to add another useful siding would be just too great.

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Peter,

Not had a lot of time to keep up with your progress of late. The Golf GTi does look really good. I also like the progress with the new scenic section - the disused track at the front is done very well especially the section at the end where the connection used to be. I am also very impressed with the grass you have added - it sounds so simple to do yet is very realistic looking with the varying shades added. Nice 31 as well! Now Bournmouth West is a cracking idea for a layout. I have bought a 7f myself after travelling behind it on the North Yorkshire Moors and having seen so many pictures of them in various books on the S&D I have they should be just as well suited to the West Highland line as the S&D with the gradients and curves! Just need to add sound at some point before it enters service!

Keep up the good work,

Mark

Your layout is amazing! please keep the photos coming. i have just ordered myself a class 45. where do you get/ who makes, the tail lamps for carrages? (white with a red lamp) i cant find them anywhere, though i have only found a limited number of shops online.

cheers

neil

Hi Neil,

Thanks, glad you like Llanbourne.:D The tail lamps I use are by Springside models, Nairnshire Model Supplies is where I bought my last lot, part number is DA20-5 BR tail lamps, Nigel also sells the modern square types one as well.

Cheers Peter.

Crickey Peter, I thought I'd clicked on the wrong thread for a moment when I saw those steamies come up! SRman's right though - sound ,steam, you're teetering on the edge of a financial precipice, you know! :D

Seriously though, the disused siding is a nice touch. I think for most people (including me) the temptation to add another useful siding would be just too great.

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave,

You don't need to worry about too many kettles turning up on Llabourne. I did have a few but as I said I sold them, they spent most of their time in boxes. My North Wales diesel fleet has priority, and finishing the layout. At some point I will go DCC and get a few more sound locos. This costs money which I don't have too much of so will do it over time.

It doesn't help that I recently bought a class 27 to go with a class 26 that I bought a few years ago, the plan is to make a small exhibition layout. It will be a small Scottish terminus which I know is not an original idea but its something I have wanted to do for some time. I remember seeing 'Carron Road' back in the late 80s and I have always fancied doing something like it. I might even try and build a bit of track, as it will only have a few points.

Anyway thats a while of yet, and I really need to finish Llanbourne, the disused siding was a bit of a last minute thing, the plan was just to have the grass going all the way along the front but once I had painted the plaster it didn't look right with a long strip of grass all the way along. the siding is intended to be the old headshunt for the stabling point or somewhere for a few parcel vans and yes for about a minute I was going to have it usable but hey I have enough track to clean already.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

Not had a lot of time to keep up with your progress of late. The Golf GTi does look really good. I also like the progress with the new scenic section - the disused track at the front is done very well especially the section at the end where the connection used to be. I am also very impressed with the grass you have added - it sounds so simple to do yet is very realistic looking with the varying shades added. Nice 31 as well! Now Bournmouth West is a cracking idea for a layout. I have bought a 7f myself after travelling behind it on the North Yorkshire Moors and having seen so many pictures of them in various books on the S&D I have they should be just as well suited to the West Highland line as the S&D with the gradients and curves! Just need to add sound at some point before it enters service!

Keep up the good work,

Mark

Hi Mark,

I am happy with the GTi and the new senic bit, I finish the stone wall at the weekend so it will be out with the paints this week. The grass has come up ok and best of all cheap.:D

Yes Bournemouth West would be great, I have always liked the S&D since seing an S&D layout at an exhibition when I was a young bloke, what I think got me in was all the double heading. I became friends with the owner a few years later when I joined the same club the layout had gone but he was happy to lend me books and then at a running session on the clubs layout he let me drive his DJH 7f before the end of the evening I had it double heading with an old Airfix 2p and a rake of Hornby MK1s in maroon and green. I got told off when I stole a 9f from a fright and stuck it on the front of a passenger train. I didn't care as it had done a few laps before anyone noticed.:lol: I think if there weren't so many things on the wanted list I would get myself a 7f.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Pete, like the new bits...! glad to see your still keeping busy...hows the depot coming on .?

Thanks Bruv, depot floor is ready for painting, just need to build the shed. :unsure:

Cheers Peter.

This thread has been a regular stop off point for me. Must be time for me to say how much I still love this layout!

One of the most inspirational layouts on the forums for me personally!

Regards

Lee :yes:

Thanks Lee,

I haven't done much this week it's been pretty cold out in the garage, I did finish my Parkside Grampus so thought I would take a pic of the wagons with its friends.:D

20121 & 20169 have set back into the headshunt on a short rake of Grampus wagons they will be left there until needed for the weekend engineering work.

I don't take enough pics of my DMUs so here is one of Chesters 108 arriving on a local service.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-04804500-1308362286_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-19023000-1308362423_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-68094400-1308362484_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-20359600-1308362534_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-26184800-1308362580_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-79062800-1308362626_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I have finished the stone wall and have been adding a bit of green stuff, not sure if I have over done it though. I am quite happy with the the buffer stop (thanks Doug) I saw a pic of one that looked like this so thought I would give it a go.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-01452300-1309439048_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-18885800-1309439100_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Spent a few hours reading through your thread and i think you have a stunning layout, i really like how the track looks so realistic and any layout with pairs of 20's running around is a plus in my book, superb work and look forward to reading more as the work progresses

Cheers for a few hours well spent

Neil

yet again.... wow! that dis-used track looks just right. the greenery is certainly not over done, infact in alot f cases i feel greenery is underdone on layouts, compaired with how fast nature re-claims ground in real-life and befor the mass weedkilling/ flail mowing that we have now. yours does look spot on.

Thanks for all your comments guys I really appreciate it, it helps to keep me going. Well done Neil, for reading the whole thread.

Yes Keith, houses next, well may be after a few other little projects.:D I have been tempted with some Pete Harvey etches that arrived last week.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-60583800-1309588581_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

PCM The photos really do come out well on the layout. I liked the bufferstop :rolleyes: I think the addition has added the air of space to the layout. You have captured the feeling of the era well.

I like your photos but that 'orrible bright green Crosville Wales thingy in the background is a reminder of Crosville's nosedive......You could always have a prewar Crosville Leyland TD5 in proper Tilling green hired one for a season in the late 1980's working Rhyl - Betws-Y-Coed.:pleasantry:

PCM The photos really do come out well on the layout. I liked the bufferstop :rolleyes: I think the addition has added the air of space to the layout. You have captured the feeling of the era well.

Hi Doug,

Thanks mate, I am happy with how it has turned out, the idea was to add a bit of space so that trains using platform 1 weren't so close to the edge.

Cheers Peter.

I like your photos but that 'orrible bright green Crosville Wales thingy in the background is a reminder of Crosville's nosedive......You could always have a prewar Crosville Leyland TD5 in proper Tilling green hired one for a season in the late 1980's working Rhyl - Betws-Y-Coed.:pleasantry:

Hi Larry,

I quite like the livery, but I think it's a bit late for my 86-87 time period. I didn't know that when I bought it.:( Merfyn put me straight on a few buses, it's something I need to sort out.

Cheers Peter.