RMweb

Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

• RMweb Premium

Sounds a good result Peter, well done.

In other news the "rat" has had some of the excess dirt wiped off the ends and looks the better for it, and while I am not in a position to say any more for now I too am in discussion with one of the mags.

I'm off on a "shopping trip" very soon and will have to catch up some time when back on these shores.

Sounds a good result Peter, well done.

In other news the "rat" has had some of the excess dirt wiped off the ends and looks the better for it, and while I am not in a position to say any more for now I too am in discussion with one of the mags.

I'm off on a "shopping trip" very soon and will have to catch up some time when back on these shores.

Thanks Mate,

Good luck with your article too.

Post up a pic of the rat, I bet she looks great now.

Yes I did read that you are going over to the UK, and for quite a while too. Hope you have a great time and get everything on your shopping list. :locomotive: We are planning to go over in Sept/Oct as I have some long service leave. Let me Know when you are due back and we have to catch up it's been a while since I have seen penhayle Bay

I might have a get together here at some point too.

Cheers Peter.

That second photo my wife looked twice said nice photo and then said oh is that a model.

Nice job mate.

Thanks, and Thank your wife for me, I showed my wife a pic of an N gauge layout the other night and she wouldn't belive me when I told her it was N gauge, she has a good eye for detail too.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Dave,

Don't worry, the steamers won't be taking over. I do have a soft spot for things S&D but I don't have time or funds to do steam and diesel. The 4f and Standard will sit in a display cabinet. I actually have another old Mainline Standard 4 partly weathered too it was the first tender loco I got as a kid. The plan was to weather up a few bits and peices to put on ebay an old split box Peak and a Maroon Western are pretty much ready to go.

As for the layout I have been working on the backscene and have made up a couple of wharehouses to sit along the back, though I need to paint them yet.

I was asked by the boys on the BRblue forum if I could do an article for Traction, the last layout 'Slightly' was by another member of the forum and Llanbourne is due to be in the next issue, though I haven't seen the finished article yet. st admit I am quite looking forwards to seeing Llanbourne in print.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

I did find myself chuckling when I read your reply! First time I've thought of "steamers" as the dark-side! I have to admit to being a green diesel rather than a blue diesel freak. So maybe Llanbourne could undergo a timeshift to the late 60s ... a few choice green 37s/40s and 47s and your steamers warming up in the background!! Lol.

Keep the images coming. I have a collection of about half-a-dozen layouts I regularly check for inspirational ideas and very much enjoy what you are doing.

Jeff

Hi Peter,

I did find myself chuckling when I read your reply! First time I've thought of "steamers" as the dark-side! I have to admit to being a green diesel rather than a blue diesel freak. So maybe Llanbourne could undergo a timeshift to the late 60s ... a few choice green 37s/40s and 47s and your steamers warming up in the background!! Lol.

Keep the images coming. I have a collection of about half-a-dozen layouts I regularly check for inspirational ideas and very much enjoy what you are doing.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff,

I was born in 1968 so don't have any memories of green diesels though that time period is quite fascinating with the end of steam and the new green diesels taking over. If Llanbourne did go back in time it would have a change of location too. It would come alot closer to what was home and operate something like Bournemoth West. This would require a lot of stock so isn't going to happen, even less so now as over the last few years I have sold most of the steam stock I had.

I have been working on a few things so hopefully I will post a few pics later in the week.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Peter,

1968, eh? You are a relative youngster then! I was born in 1957 and I remember journeys to and from Lancashire to Devon on grotty black steamers. I've no idea where my affinity for green diesels came from, as I was never a trainspotter or modern image officianado 'til I took up modelling.

To be honest, Llanbourne wouldn't look right with anything but blue diesels. Your infrastructure is spot on - reminds me of all the journeys I made on BR in the 70s and 80s. Your future projects should be interesting.

Jeff

I photographed the last two-tone green Class 47 in North Wales in 1977. Have you got your trest train on the road yet? Here's one leaving Llanbourne. The 47 had come down on test when its brakes seized at Llandudno Junction. The next engine due out of Crew for testing was summoned to rescue the errant 47 and so 37429 was given an unusual test run...

post-6680-0-47452000-1334481909.jpg

Copyright photo by Larry Goddard

• Like 4

Hi Peter,

1968, eh? You are a relative youngster then! I was born in 1957 and I remember journeys to and from Lancashire to Devon on grotty black steamers. I've no idea where my affinity for green diesels came from, as I was never a trainspotter or modern image officianado 'til I took up modelling.

To be honest, Llanbourne wouldn't look right with anything but blue diesels. Your infrastructure is spot on - reminds me of all the journeys I made on BR in the 70s and 80s. Your future projects should be interesting.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff,

Relatively young yes, the wife thinks mentally i am about 14 though. lol

To run steam on Llanbourne I would have to change a few things but I don't need to worry as it's not going to happen. One day I will build a small exhibition layout which could have a change of era

I photographed the last two-tone green Class 47 in North Wales in 1977. Have you got your trest train on the road yet? Here's one leaving Llanbourne. The 47 had come down on test when its brakes seized at Llandudno Junction. The next engine due out of Crew for testing was summoned to rescue the errant 47 and so 37429 was given an unusual test run...

post-6680-0-47452000-1334481909.jpg

Copyright photo by Larry Goddard

Top picture Larry, never get tired of seeing your pics.

I did plan on doing a test train but lack of room in the fiddleyard and the fact that I sold all my old Lima MK1s means this may not happen now. I can still run loco's on test in normal passenger trains though.

Cheers Peter.

Hi all,

About time for an update me thinks, I think I mentioned that I was getting a few bits ready to sell, the pic below shows an old Lima Western that I have sloshed a bit of paint on and is now ready for ebay.

A while back I improved my BRUTES by adding some papers and on two the curtain bit that goes along the open side, I also painted one red. I am not sure if they were seen on the stations along the North Wales Coast but I am sure there would have been a few at Crewe.

I have also lowered a 2Cv and dulled it down a bit. When I saw this car on the Hattons website I just had to have it. I have a vivid memory of following one through Preston in the early hours after seeing the Wonderstuff ( a band from the 80s for you young chaps, still doing a few gigs these days though) Anyway my mate nearly crashed because we were laughting so much as this thing was going round coners and roundabouts almost on two wheels it was leaning so much.

I have been working on the Backscene of Llanbourne and have made up a couple of warehouses, I did get some ID backscenes but I have decided to paint the sky which I think still needs a bit more white and a touch of grey. Part of the ID backscene will be used so it's not a total waste. The gutters on the terrace houses are now done too, I just need to do the down pipes and tone down the doors a bit.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-67451900-1335271054_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-39483800-1335271087_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-37990100-1335271116_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-11725300-1335271150_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-64836400-1335271173_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-31068000-1335271198_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-66985100-1335271228_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

Hi Peter, the BRUTES look great. Many an hour used to be spent on the end of a platform sat on one of them!

2CVs, it is amazing the angles that they can achieve without rolling over!

The warehouse is looking good as is the concrete hard standing. I am looking forward to seeing some BR blue traction stabled up on there. Any ideas for a depot shed yet?

The layout looks great, like the Citroen. Can I ask where the BRUTES came from?

Thanks,

The BRUTES are by Shirescenes, they are a fold up etch and go together quite well.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Hi Peter, the BRUTES look great. Many an hour used to be spent on the end of a platform sat on one of them!

2CVs, it is amazing the angles that they can achieve without rolling over!

The warehouse is looking good as is the concrete hard standing. I am looking forward to seeing some BR blue traction stabled up on there. Any ideas for a depot shed yet?

Thanks Alex,

Great to hear from you, yes spent a bit of time sat in the old BRUTES myself.

The concrete area that is slightly lighter is the area that will be covered by a shed, the plan is to build something like the shed that used to be at Holyhead.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

I'm loving that shot of the BRUTES, its one of those scenes that sets that period without even having any loco's or stock in sight.

I spent my teenage spotting years around Chester and Crewe, I definately think the gang would have made the trip along the N Wales coast to Llanbourne (especially if there was some 40 haulage to be had!)

I'm loving that shot of the BRUTES, its one of those scenes that sets that period without even having any loco's or stock in sight.

I spent my teenage spotting years around Chester and Crewe, I definately think the gang would have made the trip along the N Wales coast to Llanbourne (especially if there was some 40 haulage to be had!)

Thanks Bangor Blue,

Lucky you, Chester and Crewe would have been great back then. I didn't actually get to the North Wales Coast until the late 80s early 90s so missed the class 40s and 25s etc. If you have any pics from back then feel free to post them on here. :locomotive: Best class 40 haulage I can do for you is D200. The others still in service by this time were 97s and as far as I know didn;t work any passenger trains.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-93780800-1335429547_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Lovely stuff Peter.

Liking that concrete hard standing...how did you make it?

The backscene is looking excellent now...really works well :yes:

Thanks Pete,

The concrete area is Plaster/Cornice adhesive which is mixed with water and a bit of PVA plus some black powder paint to make it a bit grey though I stilll painted it.

If I was going to do a smaller area I would use plasicard I think it would be quicker. The plaster mix has to be sanded down and I normally have to make up more to fill the lower areas which all takes a bit of time.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

Peter, Looking at your green Class 40, the bogie sideframes look to be too outboard. Is this an older model and has it been upgraded since with better bogies?

Hi Larry,

It's a standard Lima class 40 though I added the pipework that sits on the top of the bogie and the MW cables on each side of the bogie at the front. Though some class 40s had these removed, That might make the bogies look a bit wider but otherwise it's the standard Lima bogie.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Bangor Blue,

Lucky you, Chester and Crewe would have been great back then. I didn't actually get to the North Wales Coast until the late 80s early 90s so missed the class 40s and 25s etc. If you have any pics from back then feel free to post them on here......

Unfortunately Peter, I seem to recall that all I had at the time was either an old 110 camera or a 126, it was more about the numbers in those days plus pocket money didn't stretch to buying lots of film and getting it processed! What few photos I did take are probably gathering dust somewhere in my parents loft. Oh to have had a)the foresight to take more photos and b)the technology that we have today!

I have the DSLR, now all I need is the Time Machine :D , failing that I'll just have to enjoy the excellent BR Blue layouts on RMWeb!

Dougie

Edited by Banger Blue