Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

Hi Peter, the recent pictures are superb - particularly those of Class 37 428. Although a bit before your layout's time period, viewing the photographs of Llanbourne take me right back to an enjoyable week's holiday at Deganwy in the summer of 1983 when I was only seven years old. Lots of time was spent just watching the trains go by at the foot of the garden of the guest house we stayed in. I also visited both Llandudno and the junction - lots of 40s, Peaks and of course DMUs, some of the latter still in refurbished white/blue I recall. Happy days...!

Jim

If you feel like doing the bridge, I have quite a few pics. without trains in. I had planned to build that bridge back in the 1970s. Don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers Merf.

Hi Merf,

Thanks mate that would be great, who knows when I might get around to it but some pic would be great.

Still enjoying you flickr pics, I liked the class 56s on fly ash.

Cheers Peter.

Can never have too many 37s....! Am going to do all the Canton 6 bar 428 for Halebank as per 1991.

The Canton ones used to work a Cardiff-Rhyl train in the 80s so good for your layout

True, they are nice locos, I will keep an eye out on your thread for the other Canton class 37s. It was always good to them them out working.

I did know about the FO cardiff Rhyl train, there are a few pictures of the train on the internet, I plan the do the train at some point it looks like it was normally made up of 3 or 4 MK2s.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter, the recent pictures are superb - particularly those of Class 37 428. Although a bit before your layout's time period, viewing the photographs of Llanbourne take me right back to an enjoyable week's holiday at Deganwy in the summer of 1983 when I was only seven years old. Lots of time was spent just watching the trains go by at the foot of the garden of the guest house we stayed in. I also visited both Llandudno and the junction - lots of 40s, Peaks and of course DMUs, some of the latter still in refurbished white/blue I recall. Happy days...!

Jim

Thanks Jim,

Funny thing is I didn't get up to North wales until the late 80s, 40s and Peaks had gone by then. I did get a nice bit of class 31 and 37 haulage though.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

Cracking photos as usual. Nice Tractor! They did look good in Large Logo.

If you don’t mind me asking, what was the base model used for your Gateshead 47418? I would like to get a BR blue 47.

Thanks Alex,

I am quite pleased with it. 47418 started out as bachmanns 47035, you still see them on ebay. One would look nice on boxenby, there were alway a few 47s hanging around Toton.

Cheers Peter.

Well you are ten years younger than me Mark.

Llanbourne has been without a 37/4 for way too long so I am looking forward to putting it to good use. I am quite tempted to do another actually, but I really have enough locos already.

Cheers Peter.

You can never have enough locos, Peter. :D It's one of the unwritten laws of railway modelling.

I love 37428. Nice work. Clean, but not too clean. A sort of "fairly recently ex-works" look. I must finish off my 37418. It's a fair bit grubbier than yours!

You've done a nice job on the 9F too.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 1

Hi Merf,

Thanks mate that would be great, who knows when I might get around to it but some pic would be great.

Still enjoying you flickr pics, I liked the class 56s on fly ash.

Cheers Peter.

Queens Rd. bridge, Llandudno Junction.

I will have to look for the others, but this one is to hand among the remodeling pictures. Taken about 1984 to show the new cable route we fitted to the bridge. It was done to save the cost of a gantry or underground route from the new power box to get to the down side. Mick and I spent a 23 hour Sunday re-routing the circuits through these during February 1985 with the help of Dave who spent most of the time scouring around for firewood, to keep a fire going alongside where we were doing all the cable joints.

Happy days !

Others when I find them.

Merf.

post-1625-0-09550800-1355916262.jpg

p s

Note the brick infill on the top of the bridge. This was once a gate to allow the postmen to access a set of steps down to the mail exchange aparatus.

Not that Llanbourne would need one as you don't get too many non stop trains.

• Like 5

Thanks Alex,

I am quite pleased with it. 47418 started out as bachmanns 47035, you still see them on ebay. One would look nice on boxenby, there were alway a few 47s hanging around Toton.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Peter, I will have a look out for one. I would like to keep it as a 47/0.

I did know about the FO cardiff Rhyl train, there are a few pictures of the train on the internet, I plan the do the train at some point it looks like it was normally made up of 3 or 4 MK2s.

Cheers Peter.

The 1M75 13.00 Cardiff-Rhyl was a short-lived Class 155 replacement service and brought with it the unusual sight of Class 37s on North Wales passenger services. This is 37407 Loch Long after arrival in Rhyl with a 4-coach train. Turn-round was pretty tight.....

post-6680-0-92584700-1355932227.jpg

37427 Bont Y Bermo drawing forward after unloading before propelling its stock across the station throat into the Up platform...

post-6680-0-00645000-1355932231.jpg

Having moved to the Up platform, the loco had run round its stock using the Up Fast line.....37430 Cwmbran waits to depart at 19.00 with its 3-coach 1V19 to Crewe.

post-6680-0-03612300-1355932234.jpg

My diary shows no more entries after May 1st 1989 so this might have been the last day it ran. This is the second attempt at posting - I pressed 'send' last time just as I temporaily lost an internet connection!

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 5

The 1M75 13.00 Cardiff-Rhyl was a short-lived Class 155 replacement service and brought with it the unusual sight of Class 37s on North Wales passenger services. This is 37407 Loch Long after arrival in Rhyl with a 4-coach train. Turn-round was pretty tight.....

37427 Bont Y Bermo drawing forward after unloading before propelling its stock across the station throat into the Up platform...

Having moved to the Up platform, the loco had run round its stock using the Up Fast line.....37430 Cwmbran waits to depart at 19.00 with its 3-coach 1V19 to Crewe.

My diary shows no more entries after May 1st 1989 so this might have been the last day it ran. This is the second attempt at posting - I pressed 'send' last time just as I temporaily lost an internet connection!

Tight turnround !

I have some video in my collection (must be yours) of the train setting back over the crossover at frightening speed. If it was OO it would have been off the road.

Merf.

• Like 2

Tight turnround !

I have some video in my collection (must be yours) of the train setting back over the crossover at frightening speed. If it was OO it would have been off the road.

Merf.

If it was P4....definitely! Some of the drivers must have enjoyed themselves propelling over the points, slips and super elevation...... They certainly made those coaches sway around. As for braking to a stop, good job the guards had a sense of humour!

If it was P4....definitely! Some of the drivers must have enjoyed themselves propelling over the points, slips and super elevation...... They certainly made those coaches sway around. As for braking to a stop, good job the guards had a sense of humour!

Crewe blokes no doubt, somebody I am sure has quoted it went out of the Up bay at Rhyl once. Another Coast oddity was the Derby Llandudno service which was a pair of 20s....

Edited by JBM37404

Queens Rd. bridge, Llandudno Junction.

I will have to look for the others, but this one is to hand among the remodeling pictures. Taken about 1984 to show the new cable route we fitted to the bridge. It was done to save the cost of a gantry or underground route from the new power box to get to the down side. Mick and I spent a 23 hour Sunday re-routing the circuits through these during February 1985 with the help of Dave who spent most of the time scouring around for firewood, to keep a fire going alongside where we were doing all the cable joints.

Happy days !

Others when I find them.

Merf.

post-1625-0-09550800-1355916262.jpg

p s

Note the brick infill on the top of the bridge. This was once a gate to allow the postmen to access a set of steps down to the mail exchange aparatus.

Not that Llanbourne would need one as you don't get too many non stop trains.

Thanks Merf,

Thats a great pic, I am not sure what it is about working on the railway, but we always used to have a fire going in a spare Brake van up Eastleigh yard.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Peter, I will have a look out for one. I would like to keep it as a 47/0.

No worries Alex,

I have done 47106 from the 47035 model, the hardest job is to improve the underframe, there are some pics somewhere on the thread on how I did it.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks for the pics Larry,

I haven't seen those before, I might have to model the quick run round d propelling move.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

You can never have enough locos, Peter. :D It's one of the unwritten laws of railway modelling.

I love 37428. Nice work. Clean, but not too clean. A sort of "fairly recently ex-works" look. I must finish off my 37418. It's a fair bit grubbier than yours!

You've done a nice job on the 9F too.

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave,

Sorry missed your post.

The plan with 428 was to have it fairly clean, sort of opposite to the 9F.

I have a pic of 37418 somewhere I will dig it out for you. The Scottish ones certainly did get very dirty.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Peter,

I thought I'd return the complement and visit your thread. You are no doubt basking in sunshine at 30C+ while us poor bu**ers in the UK are being washed into the Atlantic with all the rain. I blame the Mayans myself!

Anyway, scanning through the last few pages of Llanbourne has been entertaining, as usual. Some great pics from Merf and Larry. I can never understand why some people don't like 37s - they are magnificent (in green, of course, not blue.... :O Lol!).

Are you planning on acquiring the odd new Bachmann class 40, or two? I've 2 on pre-order already...

Time to wish you a very happy Christmas. Thanks for your input on KL. A couple more months and the track will be fully active!

Cheers,

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I doubt Pete will spend too much time on Llanbourne today; 39 degrees C predicted for today!

I think we get a temperature like that about once a century! Nevermind, pity the residents of Moscow at the moment where today's temperature reached the heady heights of - 20C!

I hope you guys in Australia include decent sized expansion gaps in your track - or at least lay the track in the summer. 

Phew - too hot for me!

Anyway - sorry to hijack the thread Peter - happy Christmas to all of you "Down Under"!!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

It's already cooking nicely here and Peter's shed does get quite warm inside!!!  On the other hand we're off to a wedding requiring black tie dress code which is going to be pretty stuffy in this heat!

Thanks for the Christmas wishes, Jeff. I would like to wish everyone all the very best for Christmas too.

Things are now starting to cool down a little so hopefully both Rick (gwiwer) and Peter will be back to normal operations soon ... if Rick survives the black tie wedding!

Regards to All. :)

Jeff.

• RMweb Premium

I was simply going to reply "Thanks Jeff, from Jeff".....

There are clearly a few of us Jeffs around on the forum. A high-class name!

I don't envy Rick in his shirt, tie and tails at 40C. Or Peter melting in his "oven". We have a heatwave in northern England today: it's 11C in my garden - and blowing a gale!!

Cheers,

(You guessed it) Jeff

Hi, I've follwed the instructions to delete history but it's not working and I can't reply to anything. Help please. My darling wife is letting me use her laptop to ask for help

Edited by P.C.M