Llanbourne North Wales in the 80s.

P.C.M

Thanks for the latest updates Peter, brings back fond memories!

Here's a couple of images from the area featuring some interesting locos:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/steveg37425/6647220579/ - flush front 37 on the Cambrian. 506 is going cheap in a certain model shop on Merseyside!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/isispics/6153233260/ - 37428 with pluffs!

Cheers!

Now now Peter! You now the rules about posting pics of the real thing and pretending they're your models!   ;)

That top pic of 37 428 looks particularly convincing. Very nice. :)

Thanks Jeff.

To be honest I am noy that happy with the quality of the latest pics, they seem a bit fuzzy. I might have a play with the settings.

Cheers Peter.

When I eventually get a BR Blue 47 I will be in touch for some help and advice!

Very nice Tractor Peter, I bet there were a lot of bashers on the Llanbourne to Cardiff service yesterday!

I think a 37/5 in Original Railfreight must be next........

No worries Alex,

There were a few bashers out for the 37/4, the gen is for a no heat one tomorrow.

I am very tempted to get a 37/5 but bought 37693 a few years back. I do like the Bachmann red stripe 37/5 but I am not sure if they were common on the North Wales Coast.

Cheers Peter.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/steveg37425/6647220579/ - flush front 37 on the Cambrian. 506 is going cheap in a certain model shop on Merseyside!

Cheers!

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the links, I was just saying to Alex above I do quite fancy Bachmanns 37/5 but there are other things I want. It is very tempting though.

37428 does look good with those ploughs, I will do a few Scottish 37s one day for another project so I will get my plough fix when I do those.

Cheers Peter.

Cheers!

Ok, thats a bit weird because over the xmas period i found some old photos of my dads which i am going to upload to flickr and one of them has 37506 on! The logo is towards the other cab though. Was planning to do it tonight but taking a photo of the old photo doesnt seem to work in artifical light so it'll have to wait for another day.

The last train of the year saw 37284 working the Llanbourne - Cardiff service. I think someone in the TOPS office is a class 37 fan, thats two days in a row with no booked Crompton.

Hi Peter,

Happy New Year to you.  Its nice to see some nb tractor action in North Wales... especially in winter, the passengers won't be happy with that - but I'm sure the enthusiasts will.

Please keep the pics coming in.

Cheers

Lee

Hi Peter,

Happy New Year to you.  Its nice to see some nb tractor action in North Wales... especially in winter, the passengers won't be happy with that - but I'm sure the enthusiasts will.

Please keep the pics coming in.

Cheers

Lee

Happy New Year to you Lee,

Sort of forgot it's winter over there, it's nice and sunny here mid 20s actually had my first swim of the year today after work. Either way you can't beat a bit of NB action.

Cheers Peter.

A few days off over Christmas have given me time to start a few more projects.

One is a new panel for part of the fiddleyard, the plan is to put some point motors on and under the board for the DMU sidings which are at the back and harder to reach. Also in the works is an old Lima 47, I have sold most of my Lima 47s and replaced them with Bachmann models but this Grey roof loco was the last Lima loco I did and I think one of the best. I was planning to have the loco as a dummy but I am now going to have a go at putting a Heljan drive underneath. I am also going to change the number and have already painted the headcodes black and add a Stratford Sparrow making it a true SF machine.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-11587000-1357120876_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-62953300-1357121068_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-91029600-1357121292_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Just a thought Peter: if you can get old of a ViTrains class 47 chassis it will fit under the Lima body with very little modification. It will mainly be the cab interior that needs modding to clear the light units.

The down side of this idea is that adapting the ViTrains for Kadee couplings  will not be as straightforward.

Edited by SRman

Just a thought Peter: if you can get old of a ViTrains class 47 chassis it will fit under the Lima body with very little modification. It will mainly be the cab interior that needs modding to clear the light units.

The down side of this idea is that adapting the ViTrains for Kadee couplings  will not be as straightforward.

Hi Jeff,

I bought a Vitrains class 47401 last year and gave it a try, I like the model but it just didn't seem to run as well as my Bachmann and Heljan stuff.

Cheers Peter. 

The resistance of the motor is a bit different but with DCC you can tweak a heap of settings to get it to closely match the performance of the other brands. Try it with your existing one first. :)

Guest jim s-w

Hi Peter

There's some thoughts on lima/vi trains combinations on my workbench

www.p4newstreet.com/category/workbench

Hth

Jim

The resistance of the motor is a bit different but with DCC you can tweak a heap of settings to get it to closely match the performance of the other brands. Try it with your existing one first. :)

Hi Jeff,

It's a bit late for that, I sold it. The running was actually pretty good the problem was more my code 100 track, the Vitrains 37 and 47 both clunked through my points a bit where as my Bachmann locos seem to glide through. I checked the back to backs and they were fine. I have orderd a Heljan 47 and will see how that runs hopefully as well as my 33s.

While on the subject of DCC I have been putting a few decoders into my locos and tonight put a Gaugemaster OPTI decoder into my Hornby powered 101. It's the DCC ready one so I plugged it in and the DMU runs really bad and judders at slow speed. Any tips?

They seem to work well in my Bachmann 20 and 25s with no adjustment, even a Heljan class 33 seems ok but does need to be at notch 3 or 4 before it moves.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter

There's some thoughts on lima/vi trains combinations on my workbench

www.p4newstreet.com/category/workbench

Hth

Jim

Thanks Jim,

I had noticed your class 47s, very nice too.

Cheers Peter.

Hello Peter,

Further to your question about the decoder in the Hornby Class 101, I have found that with my Hornby motored ex Lima models (Class 59, Class 101, Class 121) it is those pesky Feedback Parameters that need tweaking to obtain a smooth response from the motor. 

CV 53 was lowered slightly to a value of 50, CV 54 to 20, and CV 55 was bumped right up to a value of 55 to emulate a large flywheel. These numbers could obviously be improved upon with a little trial and error as not all motors will respond the same.

By the way, I love your railway, I have just been selling off all my current era models to go back to my beloved BR Blue period, just waiting for Hornbys much delayed blue and yellow HST pack!

Geoff.

• Like 1

Thanks for answering that, Geoff (good name, that!).

For the class 33. Peter, try adding values into CV2 (the startup voltage). I generally find Heljan locos can start fine with a value of 0 but keep adding in until the loco just moves on speed step 1. Try a value of 3, then 6, then 9, an so on, then fine tune it from there (if it doesn't move with a value of 6 but moves too fast on 9, try 7 or 8, for example).

I have a couple of locomotives (not Heljan!) that have required quite high starting values (in the order of CV2 = 35).

While it all sounds fiddly and complicated, it is actually one of the pluses of DCC in that you can tweak locomotives to behave similarly to each other or to a particular performance specification for a particular type of Loco (eg an 08 shunter).

Thanks Geoff & Jeff,

I will have a look at the manual and find where I have to go to change CVs and let you know how I go.

Welcome aboard Geoff, best of luck with getting back into the BR Blue period.

Cheers Peter.

Just after sending that last post of mine, I had to do the very same thing with a Heljan class 33 that I have just fitted a Zimo sound decoder in. I ended up with a value of 9 in CV2.

Peter, if you set up the loco on a programming track, press 'esc' then number 4 (or just repeat pressing 'esc' until you see ... ) => programming track. The NCE interface should then give you a choice; the one of interest here is '2. CV'. It will ask you which CV to change (type '2', 'enter') then what value you want (type in the number you wish to try then 'enter'). Once entered, escape back to the operating mode and try it out. find out what speed step causes the loco to just start to move. If it isn't speed step 1 ...

Repeat until you achieve the desired result. It is easier than it sounds.

One other thing: make sure you are programming only the one locomotive on an isolated bit of track otherwise you'll reprogram all of the locos that are on the layout at the time!

Just after sending that last post of mine, I had to do the very same thing with a Heljan class 33 that I have just fitted a Zimo sound decoder in. I ended up with a value of 9 in CV2.

Peter, if you set up the loco on a programming track, press 'esc' then number 4 (or just repeat pressing 'esc' until you see ... ) => programming track. The NCE interface should then give you a choice; the one of interest here is '2. CV'. It will ask you which CV to change (type '2', 'enter') then what value you want (type in the number you wish to try then 'enter'). Once entered, escape back to the operating mode and try it out. find out what speed step causes the loco to just start to move. If it isn't speed step 1 ...

Repeat until you achieve the desired result. It is easier than it sounds.

One other thing: make sure you are programming only the one locomotive on an isolated bit of track otherwise you'll reprogram all of the locos that are on the layout at the time!

Thanks again Jeff,

I will try and get out to the garage tomorrow morning before it gets too hot and have a go.

What do you think of the Zimo sound? I am thinking of getting one for one of my 08s.

Cheers Peter. 

I like the sound set but haven't got the ideal speaker set up yet. Sound is a bit mushy with a single ESU 4 Ohm round speaker in the fuel tank. It was slightly better (slightly sharper) with a CT 8 Ohm speaker wired in series but I really need to get at least a bass enhanced speaker in the fuel tank, possibly in parallel with another speaker in the body. The only other 4 or 8 Ohm speakers i have in stock right now are too big to fit the 33 (two are bass reflex and one is a 20mm x 40mm standard) so I have ordered a few more different types to try out.

I am enjoying the manual notching method of driving (the decoder has two sound sets loaded and you change from one set to the other by changing the value in CV 265, which can be done on the fly using programming on the main). 

As with all such projects, there is a bit of guesswork and trial and error to get the best out of it. The decoder costs around three quarters of the price of an ESU LokSound decoder so represents good value, although you have to add the cost of speaker or speakers to that.

Once I'm happy with the speaker set up I'll post a video in the DCC Sound section. You, Peter, will, of course, be able to hear it in person!! :)

Edited by SRman