Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Better to stick to common values like which is the true 00 gauge.

Although the esteemed Sector Commander in North Hipposhire is very prim and proper, using the S7 standards for his model railway exploits, I am nowhere near as virtuous : In fact I am a complete degenerate!

Not only do I attempt to sully his pure thoughts by my use of 32 mm gauge track, but further corrupt the mix by using 0 M-F (31.5 mm gauge) through my crossing noses.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Although the esteemed Sector Commander in North Hipposhire is very prim and proper, using the S7 standards for his model railway exploits, I am nowhere near as virtuous : In fact I am a complete degenerate!

Not only do I attempt to sully his pure thoughts by my use of 32 mm gauge track, but further corrupt the mix by using 0 M-F (31.5 mm gauge) through my crossing noses.

Not to mention green engines with copper round their chimbleys.  Fortunately he is well vaccinated against such infections.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 2
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

I hope that you have cut the lawn with a pair of scissors.  You must have had plenty of practice.

Jamie

Many years ago when I was an Adjutant, I overheard the RSM getting quite cross with the barrel of lard who was disguised as a Lcpl in the QM's Dept.

At the time there was a craze going around for people to walk around with  a  strop of leather, stiffened with wire, with a dog collar on the end of it.  It was the first of the virtual pets and one walked around pretending  there was a dog on the end.

Lcpl Gibson* had one of these  and was explaining to the RSM how his dog was well behaved etc etc.  The RSM was starting to get quite annoyed, so I thought I'd best intervene and save both his sanity and Lcpl Gibson's hide.

'RSM!' I shouted from my office, 'Is that Lcpl Gibson and his dog you have there?

'What...Sir?' replied the RSM.

I popped my head around the door frame, then walked into the corridor and bent down to make a fuss of the 'dog'.

Lcpl Gibson was beaming at the RSM who was probably now not far off having a stroke.

I told Lcpl Gibson that he had a lovely well behaved dog, but he would have to apply to keep it in barracks and to write to the CO to make it official.  But it would not be a problem and that acceptance would be a foregone conclusion.

I then stood up and turned to the RSM: 'RSM, this is the dog I was telling you about.  The one who has been crapping all over the barracks. Can you please sort it out?

The RSM's look of surprise at my initial action turned into a malicious looking leer (so typically RSM) and Lcpl Gibson was invited back into the RSM's office for some friendly advice.

It took him a week to to go around garrison area as news spread about his crapping dog, and other units started reporting it as causing a problem.

A fortnight later I got the RSM to summon Gibson to my office to find out where the letter to the CO requesting permission to keep the dog was?

He told me it had kept escaping from his room so he'd sold it to a civvie.

* Not his real name

• Round of applause 3
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Not to mention green engines with copper round their chimbleys.  Fortunately he is well vaccinated against such infections.

Jamie

The only green engines I have are diesels.  All my steam locos are black

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I’m wondering if I could impose on the collected wisdom of TNM?

As described above, I have refurbished my workshop. One of the casualties was the variegated and (very) odd assortment of LED and low voltage halogen lamps used for spot illumination when working on models.

My question to the multitudes is: given that the aforementioned lamps all run off transformers providing the same DC output (I think, I’m pretty certain but will need to check), would be possible to wire them all to just one transformer? (after removing the flexible necks/lamp head and soldering the leads together - creating one multi headed lamp)

I‘m rather loathe to bin them, but a multitude of lamps and transformers is no longer an option for my workbench.

Other suggestions as how to recycle them will also be gratefully received!

For a start I wouldn't mix LED's and halogens on the same circuit. In my case I use battery operated LED's as I do not have a direct power supply to the shed I (intend to) use as a workshop. I don't know if they are available in Switzerland but a couple of Christmases ago some stores were selling white LED Christmas lights in strings of fifty or one hundred with a battery box containing two, three or four AA batteries. After Christmas they were reduced to clear for a couple of pounds each. The LED's were tube shaped, 5mm in diameter, about 20mm long and about 200mm apart. I just strung them along the ceiling or under a shelf. Also there are strips of LED's available with an adhesive backing for attaching them to any flat surface, both battery and mains operated. Getting back to your original question most LED's can be used with a transformer but check the input voltage as some of them are only 9 or 6 volt.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Just got back in from a very successful session in the shed. For the past few days I've been building a MERG kit for my DCC set up for the coal yard. Specifically the power booster. I'm not in my comfort zone but this afternoon  I plugged  the board in and conducted various voltage tests. Everything was satifactory and nothing overheated. First time.  I am very pleased.  Next up, fit all the IC's and various heatsinks.  After that repeat the tests on the main DCC command station.  After that i have the terrors of learning surface mount technology  for the handset.  If I eventually get it all working I will be a happy bunny.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 6

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

The ability to cross snot is highly sought after. Especially for those suffering with a bad cold. 

Where's the Ugh and TMI buttons when you need them.

Jamie

• Like 2
  • Agree 7

From an email sent to me dated 10 Mar, not much notice!:

Hello. The Museum of Bath at Work has a model railway layout that was made by ITV for an episode of the series McDonald and Dodds. It’s a (not very accurate) representation of Bath, including Box tunnel.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=185116509777089

https://www.bath-at-work.org.uk/all-aboard-train-set-prop-from-mcdonald-and-dodds-itv-show-donated-to-museum/

Unfortunately the museum no longer has room to display it and they are keen to give it away to a good home. It needs to be moved by the end of next week if anyone is interested in all or part of it.

If anyone is interested or needs more information please contact the Museum director Stuart Burroughs mobaw@hotmail.com

Mary Kelly

Edited by Canal Digger
word detail
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, Canal Digger said:

Hello. The Museum of Bath at Work has a model railway layout that was made by ITV for an episode of the series McDonald and Dodds. It’s a (not very accurate) representation of Bath, including Box tunnel.

https://www.bath-at-work.org.uk/all-aboard-train-set-prop-from-mcdonald-and-dodds-itv-show-donated-to-museum/

Unfortunately the museum no longer has room to display it and they are keen to give it away to a good home. It needs to be moved by the end of next week if anyone is interested in all or part of it.

If anyone is interested or needs more information please contact the Museum director Stuart Burroughs mobaw@hotmail.com

Mary Kelly

Looking at the photo it looks to be about 16' by 4' so has probably been built on two 8 x 4 boards.  Not very easy to transport and store.  It would certainly need a large trailer or something like a Luton van to move each board.  I hope that something can be sorted out.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Canal Digger said:

Mary Kelly

I remember that episode and I remember who dunit too. It was th

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Many years ago when I was an Adjutant, I overheard the RSM getting quite cross with the barrel of lard who was disguised as a Lcpl in the QM's Dept.

At the time there was a craze going around for people to walk around with  a  strop of leather, stiffened with wire, with a dog collar on the end of it.  It was the first of the virtual pets and one walked around pretending  there was a dog on the end.

Lcpl Gibson* had one of these  and was explaining to the RSM how his dog was well behaved etc etc.  The RSM was starting to get quite annoyed, so I thought I'd best intervene and save both his sanity and Lcpl Gibson's hide.

'RSM!' I shouted from my office, 'Is that Lcpl Gibson and his dog you have there?

'What...Sir?' replied the RSM.

I popped my head around the door frame, then walked into the corridor and bent down to make a fuss of the 'dog'.

Lcpl Gibson was beaming at the RSM who was probably now not far off having a stroke.

I told Lcpl Gibson that he had a lovely well behaved dog, but he would have to apply to keep it in barracks and to write to the CO to make it official.  But it would not be a problem and that acceptance would be a foregone conclusion.

I then stood up and turned to the RSM: 'RSM, this is the dog I was telling you about.  The one who has been crapping all over the barracks. Can you please sort it out?

The RSM's look of surprise at my initial action turned into a malicious looking leer (so typically RSM) and Lcpl Gibson was invited back into the RSM's office for some friendly advice.

It took him a week to to go around garrison area as news spread about his crapping dog, and other units started reporting it as causing a problem.

A fortnight later I got the RSM to summon Gibson to my office to find out where the letter to the CO requesting permission to keep the dog was?

He told me it had kept escaping from his room so he'd sold it to a civvie.

* Not his real name

Bear used to haunt a very good Italian Restaurant in the 90's when working at Boscombe Down and staying in Salisbury; the Manageress was a lady called Wendy - she told me how she and her daughter had gone to a Hypnotist Night in Salisbury (Town Hall maybe).  Anyway, the daughter volunteered to get hypnotised, as did some guy.  This was done off-stage and then when on stage she was told that she'd got a very vicious, powerful dog and not to let anyone near it cos' it'd kill them - a "stiff dog's lead and collar" completed the illusion.....

The guy? Well he was told that the girl had got a very cute, friendly doggie that loved to be made a fuss of.....

It went something like this....

Bloke:  "Oh what a lovely doggie - can I stroke it?"

Girl:  "NO!  STAY AWAY!!  He's very vicious and he'll have you!"

Bloke:  "It's ok, I'm very good with dogs......"

Girl:  "NO!!  CLEAR OFF!!"

Bloke:  (Approaching)  "He's so friendly - I'm sure he won't mind me stroking him...."

Girl:  "NOW LOOK.....P1SS OFF YOU TW@T...."

etc. etc.

During the interval the Girl is in the Bar, still hypnotised and under the supervision of the Hypnotist.....

She's walking around apologising to everyone.....

"I'm ever so sorry - please be careful where you walk......it's my dog you see.....he's sh1t all over the carpet...."

As for Wendy, well she lost count of how many times she nearly wet herself laughing....

The following morning Wendy's daughter could remember none of it, but said she had the most almighty headache.

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

More tidying was done in the workshop this afternoon in between watching segments of the two 6 Nations Rugby matches. (Before anyone mentions it, Wales did lose last night.)

I was amazed to find parts of a bench beneath the clutter that I don't think was there before, so I am finally making progress.

I also managed to burn off a 1 tonne bag of oak twigs in my garden burner.  After it has cooled overnight  I will add the ash to the compost pile and mix it in well.

Finally, I found the missing  pack of 2 part epoxy which means I'm finally able to stick some metal to wood. (It will also get some anti- shear studs fitted.)

I still haven't managed to throw anything away although there is a pile on the workshop floor that is destined for the bin tomorrow morning.

Nyda is out on guiding duties tomorrow, so I have a full clear day for doing manly things.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 10

Evening all,

I come to you today from the high desert. After the usual 10 hour drive we arrived safely in Santa Fe today, an hour ahead of schedule even! It hasn’t changed much but there are more people now. 

74B883B9-67FA-4D4F-92E5-B1BD3F923257.jpeg.6961180f9a2faf1f68bf70dc03676735.jpeg

Tomorrow I’m not sure what is in store but I presume walking around the old town area and some shopping and the visiting of the excellent French bakery.

Douglas

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 2

The moment you've all been waiting for:

Proper flat-bottom track!

DSCN5382.JPG.fb131fd4206c36c8c48c9050233b59ff.JPG

Printed in the good ol' USA :D

It's supposed to represent BR's "elastic spike" track. I'm going to take a shot at Pandrol clips but that could be a bit of a stretch.

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 9

• RMweb Gold

It's Sunday, so I'd best keep the power tool noise to a minimum:  Although the  local mower brigade don't seem so constrained.

I was virtuous:angel: and did mine yesterday.

Now should I start with the soldering or the gluing?

My indecision mode should keep me wondering about this until lunchtime.

• Like 11

3 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

It's Sunday, so I'd best keep the power tool noise to a minimum:  Although the  local mower brigade don't seem so constrained.

I was virtuous:angel: and did mine yesterday.

Now should I start with the soldering or the gluing?

My indecision mode should keep me wondering about this until lunchtime.

Oh heck lawm mowing season again.

Suppose I'd better get my weed patch done if it ever dries out. 

Doesn't seem a lot of point as it will become a building site in a couple  of months 

There was some sort of power tool in used around these parts today. 

Sounded like a leaf blower. Just what you need between night shifts.

This week's challenges are to try to contain the noise and vibration  of the new water pump in the airing cupboard from reverberating around the house and tidy the shed to accept some of the garage contents (the rest to be found new homes for pecuniary advantage where possible or to become various grades of recycling and landfill) as that will become the new train room. 

I fear my back will not be happy and already aches at the thought.

Andy

• Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium
On 12/03/2022 at 12:09, PhilJ W said:

For a start I wouldn't mix LED's and halogens on the same circuit. In my case I use battery operated LED's as I do not have a direct power supply to the shed I (intend to) use as a workshop. I don't know if they are available in Switzerland but a couple of Christmases ago some stores were selling white LED Christmas lights in strings of fifty or one hundred with a battery box containing two, three or four AA batteries. After Christmas they were reduced to clear for a couple of pounds each. The LED's were tube shaped, 5mm in diameter, about 20mm long and about 200mm apart. I just strung them along the ceiling or under a shelf. Also there are strips of LED's available with an adhesive backing for attaching them to any flat surface, both battery and mains operated. Getting back to your original question most LED's can be used with a transformer but check the input voltage as some of them are only 9 or 6 volt.

Further to the above. I also used the LED 'Christmas lights' to illuminate some low relief buildings. All that was required was to drill a 5mm hole in the backscene behind the building to be lit. Also to make the string of lights a bit neater you can drill a series of holes in a strip of wood and push the LED's through them. 

• Like 4