Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

Aditi has a similar choice to make. I was reading that a tax raid may be made by the chancellor on pension funds.  Does that mean funds like yours and Aditi’s that haven’t been cashed in yet or some other part of the pension fund industry? 

I've left it because it is making a better return than any other savings.  The plan was that if I were to need cash, cash in the pension and take the 25% lump sum and have another trivial monthly pension.

It is my pot and extracting my money from my pot seems like theft.  Hunt's other options appear to be to tax the lump sum (quick burn) or to require it all to be received monthly (slow burn).  Any option should seriously piss off one sector that is still supporting the Tory party. 

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, Dave Hunt said:

But I was very careful with the throttles and could often get a mile a gallon or even better. And anyway, I was a taxpayer so part of it was my money that the guvvmint didn't get to spend on loose living.

Dave  

So if you didn't get to spend it on loose living and the guvvmint didn't who did? Because I certainly didn't. We need to know so that we can ask for it back.

Edited by Winslow Boy
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 9

11 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

The accepted practice for disposing of very large quantities of explosive ordnance is to drop it into very deep water: Basically where salvage crews and divers can't get to it.

During one of his deep sea surveys ( the one where he located what turned out to be the wreck USS Indianapolis ), the boy and his then vessel, 'Falkor' worked out of Guam, which thanks to the disposal of US munitions post WW2 is one of the most polluted places known to man.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, bbishop said:

Actually, accessing the Torygraph website, it would appear Hunt is after the money that Higher Rate Taxpayers divert into their pension pot.

That seems to be happening already. I was seeing some comments from high paid surgeons claiming their NHS pension contributions being taxed at whatever recent changes have happened mean they are working for nothing once they go over some threshold. One solution offered was to do less NHS work, doing other work instead. 
My pension was severely affected by my working life being somewhat shortened by illness, so I don’t really know much about mega pension pots and tax ramifications.  Fortunately Aditi put in her 41 years of work and took out AVCs to make up for my reduced pension income. 

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

That's just around the corner from my mate's campsite.  He worries about it.

I'm not surprised; it's been said that if what is known to remain in the wreck were to go up in a chain reaction, it would be the largest non-nuclear explosion in UK history (bigger than the RAF Fauld explosion).  Perhaps don't tell your mate the old one about how destruction of the caravan parks on Isle of Sheppey would require repairs costing just over a quid.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 8

3 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Just to join in the pension stakes, I did 38 years in the RAF and so far have drawn the pension for 18 years so less than half way towards break even and would have to survive to 95 to make it so I reckon that the guvvmint will get their money's worth out of me.

Dave 

The only pension contest I remember here was the one about who was first to max-out their annual Social Security (federal pension) contribution. I seem to remember some of my peers managed to get there as early as February (this was in a hi-tech outfit in California.)

I'm completely out of touch with how it all works in the UK these days (although MrsID and myself do receive a bit from Newcastle) but contributions to private pensions (IRAs - Individual Retirement Accounts) are free of tax in the US. Tax is only due when money is withdrawn from the account by which time the recipient is likely to be in a much lower tax bracket than they were in when the contribution was made.

However, there is a thing called an annual RMD (Required Minimum Distribution) above a certain age. It's a percentage of the total account but not all that much unless you forget to do it at which point the penalties are quite severe 😀

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 3

I confess to having a variety of saws for wood and metal but it always seems to be a bit of a burglar to cut sheet metal. Accordingly I've ordered one of these:

https://www.vevor.com/plate-shear-c_10810/12-300mm-hand-shear-cutting-sheet-metal-bar-shears-adjustable-clamp-benchtop-p_010582733769?utm_source=email_sys&utm_medium=mail&utm_campaign=en_US_orderDelivery_2022-11-15-08:51:49

(There are also smaller ones.)

It does seem a bit too inexpensive but we'll see how it goes. Some reviews say they are a load of crepe but others say they are great if you can spend time tuning them up a bit. One guy complained to their customer service and they just sent him a replacement and didn't want the first one back.

They do seem to be available in the UK. There's a lot of other stuff too.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I don't have a pension  pot.  For historical  reasons there never has been a policevoension fund.  The only police strike ever in thevUK was in 1919 and the 6000 who went on strike in London and Liverpool  were instantly dismissed.  A settlement  was negotiated that included the foundingnof the Police Federation but also pensions for the first time. These were paid to all officers who retired from that date regsrdless of contribution history. To do this, IIRC, the then Chancellor, a certain W S Churchill, decided to pay thevoensi9ns outbof the everday revenue account. It was obviously a fairly small sum then.  This was never fixed and pensions are still paid out of revenue. I think it's over 25% of the annual policing budget. They stilll haven't got round to fixing it.  I'm not complaining. I've already had far more back than I ever paid in.

Jamie

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Ashcombe said:

Good morning from a wild, wet and windy Torbay!

A few days ago, olddudders hinted that you chaps would appreciate hearing a few lines from me! I guess it would allay any doubts as to my existence and enable me to give you some insight into being the “cared for” rather than the carer! 

We’ve had what amounts to a lie-in for us, with sleeping until after 6.00 a.m. when we’ve routinely been having TIB any time from 4.00a.m. Certainly that was my best night since being in hospital! Poor olddudders has to make all the hot drinks until I’m allowed to lift the weight of a kettle, once my chest has fully healed. (Finding the travel kettle would be a good idea!)

A later bedtime has made a difference. Olddudders was a Front of House steward last night for our latest theatrical production: Ladies’ Day, which was well received, apparently. I was glad he could enjoy a break from his caring duties whilst I had a catch up call with a lovely friend from my Staffordshire days, with whom I appeared on stage many times back in the day. 

I’ve enjoyed reading through the recent pages and recognising many names here from my days of contributing regularly.
All the best!

Sherry 

Great to hear from you Sherry and I hope that your convalescence  goes well.  Obviously some time in peaceful  ural France could be prescribed.  Bon Courage.

Jamie

• Like 7
  • Agree 9

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, newbryford said:

It's less than two weeks to Warley. 
A shower from now on is not obligatory.

Bear has never been to such a place, and since the travel would be a bit of a PITA I've no great desire to change that record.

8 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

And portable showers and fumigators.

A Sheep Dip - with tiered seating either side so others can watch the fun - could be an option.

8 hours ago, Tony_S said:

That seems to be happening already. I was seeing some comments from high paid surgeons claiming their NHS pension contributions being taxed at whatever recent changes have happened mean they are working for nothing once they go over some threshold. One solution offered was to do less NHS work, doing other work instead. 
My pension was severely affected by my working life being somewhat shortened by illness, so I don’t really know much about mega pension pots and tax ramifications.  Fortunately Aditi put in her 41 years of work and took out AVCs to make up for my reduced pension income. 

There's a £40K annual pension contribution limit and a £1,073,100 Lifetime Allowance - breach those limits and the good ol' tax man gives you a right kickin'.

Incidentally, ISTR it used to be that those entitled to the UK "Old-Age Pension" but have deserted these shores for other countries (can't imagine why 🤣) get that Pension but never receive any yearly uplifts - it was fixed at a certain rate for life.  Is this still the case?

6 hours ago, AndyID said:

I confess to having a variety of saws for wood and metal but it always seems to be a bit of a burglar to cut sheet metal. Accordingly I've ordered one of these:

https://www.vevor.com/plate-shear-c_10810/12-300mm-hand-shear-cutting-sheet-metal-bar-shears-adjustable-clamp-benchtop-p_010582733769?utm_source=email_sys&utm_medium=mail&utm_campaign=en_US_orderDelivery_2022-11-15-08:51:49

(There are also smaller ones.)

It does seem a bit too inexpensive but we'll see how it goes. Some reviews say they are a load of crepe but others say they are great if you can spend time tuning them up a bit. One guy complained to their customer service and they just sent him a replacement and didn't want the first one back.

They do seem to be available in the UK. There's a lot of other stuff too.

A little while since I've used one of those, but seem to recall that they may cause distortion to at least one piece of the metal being cut.  Bear has access to a 3ft(?) Bench Guillotine at College for non-ferrous (or very, very thin steel when they're not looking....); another option is a Monodex Cutter, which cuts without distortion.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, polybear said:

Incidentally, ISTR it used to be that those entitled to the UK "Old-Age Pension" but have deserted these shores for other countries (can't imagine why 🤣) get that Pension but never receive any yearly uplifts - it was fixed at a certain rate for life.  Is this still the case?

That is true in some countries but fortunately not in the former EU.  Pension uprating is now enshrined in the Withdrawal Agreement.  I can't remember  which other countries get uprated though. I think that they sre mainly Commonwealth  ones.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2