Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

The Night Mail

3 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Sadly we've both got the lurgy and feel completely cr&p so actually spent most of the day either in bed or slumped in front of the TV. What a great way to finish the year.

Sympathy! In the tradition of marital sharing I was 'gifted' Mrs Shed's cold on the first weekend of December. Precisely one month later I'm still snuffling, sneezing and feeling less than sparkling. On the bright side, we're just a few hours away from what will hopefully be a much better year. I'll drink to that!!

• Friendly/supportive 15

24 minutes ago, Darlington_Shed said:

Sympathy! In the tradition of marital sharing I was 'gifted' Mrs Shed's cold on the first weekend of December. Precisely one month later I'm still snuffling, sneezing and feeling less than sparkling. On the bright side, we're just a few hours away from what will hopefully be a much better year. I'll drink to that!!

So your missus has a shed too? Now that's really rubbing it in.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 14

19 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

A wee while back it was questioned as to whether one of our TNM contributors would have the necessary certification to be using measuring equipment or not…

Which reminded me of the following example of what may be H&S but is possibly likely to be corporate/HR back covering…

I created a bit of a mess in one of our workrooms/teaching rooms, so I nipped downstairs in order to get a hoover* to clean up said mess.

”Where do we keep the hoover?”

”Why?”

”I’d like to hoover up the mess I’ve made upstairs - there’s lessons in there later and there’s stuff all over the floor”

”You can’t do that”

”Why not?”

”You’ve not done the training”

”Ha ha ha ha! Good one!”

”No, seriously, you’ve got to have done the training and have your certificate before you can use the hoover”

”Training?! What training? How to unwind a lead, plug it in, press the on switch and trundle the Hoover over the stuff I need to clean up?”

”Yep. You’ll have to leave it for James** to do in the morning”

”But the lessons are tonight! And I’ve made something of a mess on the floor! It doesn’t look professional and I’m certain whoever is in there will not be happy at the mess I’ve made!”

”Do you have a certificate?”

”Nope”

”Then you’ll have to leave it”

You can’t make this kind of nonsense up! Needless to say, I wasn’t given access to the hoover and my colleague was left to teach her pupils in a room with a floor covered with the detritus of removing old labels from a filing cabinet!

Shame really - if I’d needed to sew something, I could have produced my “Proficiency in Threading a Sewing Machine” certificate I got at secondary school back in the 1980s!!

HOURS OF FUN!

* Other brands are available

** Our building caretaker (mornings only)

Sometimes it's important to break the rules and just say "xuck it"

https://news.yahoo.com/cops-man-broke-n-y-192406958.html

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 8

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

You should be able to get one from the people that make the triple standard verniers calibrated in fine, coarse and government.

Dave

Bear has a digital vernier calibrated in metric, imperial and fractions - I now know that 0.59375" or 15.081mm is actually 19/32" without having to spend ages looking for the Zeus Book.

9 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

If memory serves me right i do believe they are on the restricted list and can't be exported without a special licence from the MoD.

Something to do with them being used for WMD's that's Weapons of Modelling Destruction.

I don't suppose you know anyone who might be able to pull a few strings do you.

They also have to be specially ordered, with a lead time of around ten years - they start off in the machine shop, progressing to the Apprentice Training School (remember those?), whereupon they have to be dropped onto a concrete floor at least fifty times over a period of at least 3 years, during which time they've spent at least 75% of their sorry lives at the bottom of some Oik's Toolbox (usually under the Stillson's).  They then have to be recovered from the nearest skip just prior to Despatch.

6 hours ago, AndyID said:

Not 'ere. We 'as to make 'em 😀

Bear did wonder at the cost of a 16 BA Tap - the site I looked at only listed Dies (can't imagine why....); they did list 1mm Taps though, at fifteen quid a piece (that's each, not for the set....).

No mention of life expectancy though.....

9 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

...........so actually spent most of the day either in bed or slumped in front of the TV. What a great way to finish the year.

Dave 

VSBT's; I'm reliably told that there are numerous areas in the UK where such behaviour is considered to be "the norm"......

• Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, SM42 said:

Four more vanwides join the queue of unfinished business

Andy

Our neighbour is a dentist who has a passing interest in building rolling stock.

His favourite wagon is an openwide.

(I'll put that back in the RMWeb Christmas cracker joke box.....)

And then get my coat...

• Like 1
  • Funny 15

17 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Some years back, I was standing on the corner of the L shaped jetty of our local sailing club minding my own business, watching the various dinghies being rigged and launched.

The wind was blowing from the jetty onto the water, and most boats were, sensibly bow to wind.... Apart from one which was in the corner of the L and facing downwind and since the foresail was already up, wanted to take off.

I grabbed hold of the bow painter which was trailing in the water, and said to the woman who was on her knees and hanging onto the stern of the boat, that she needed to get the boat into wind.

Her retort was that she knew what she was doing, as she was a qualified RYA instructor. (As was I)

'So you don't need my help then?' asked I.

'No' she replied.

'OK, I'm off then' and let go of the painter.

The dinghy's nose, free from my calming hand, gravitated away from the jetty, and the foresail could now pick up the power it needed to get the boat going:  Which it did!

'I'm a qualified RYA Instructor' went from her knees to full stretch.

The accompanying shriek being cut short by an almighty splash.

Well, she was suitably qualified, so getting  wet was part of the job description.

Now now Big H she was probably intimidated by you as your big lad to put it politely.  You have to look at it from the other 'persons'- non-binary living organism perspective. Just think what could have happened if you'd fallen in the water the tidal wave would have left all the boats half a mile in land.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Now now Big H she was probably intimidated by you as your big lad to put it politely.  You have to look at it from the other 'persons'- non-binary living organism perspective. Just think what could have happened if you'd fallen in the water the tidal wave would have left all the boats half a mile in land.

I never fall into the water, it's always a controlled entry.😄

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 30/12/2022 at 07:39, AndyID said:
On 29/12/2022 at 23:05, Dave Hunt said:

Ah, yes, after delving into my A level maths notes it has transpired that rather than wittering on about 22mm gauge, by application of some advanced calculus the reduction of 1000mm (AKA 1 metre) to 1/50th full size equates to 20mm. I appreciate that this is possibly too cerebral compared with most of my posts but, as a well-known contributor to other threads on RMW, some concerning locomotive lamps, says, "You've just got to get these things right." So there we have it - 20mm it is. 

Dave

Expand  

Sorry Dave, but that's no good at all.

First of all what you have to do is convert this meter thing into feet. According to my Casio Super-FX calculator (formerly the property of one or other of the kids when they were is school and who are now all over forty) that's PD close to 3.3 feet.

Now if 20mm represents 3.3 feet the actual scale is 6.06 mm/ft which, for easy math, we could round off to 6mm/foot. So you see it isn't really 1:50 scale, it's actually 6mm scale. Pretty obvious really.

Surely the scale of this layout should be defined by the ratio of the size of the wagon (& other future rolling stock) compared to the real thing? This debate about ratio of the track gauge is like debating H0 v 00 v EM v P4. Jamie, kindly provide the necessary info

I'll get my coat ...

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Canal Digger said:

Surely the scale of this layout should be defined by the ratio of the size of the wagon (& other future rolling stock) compared to the real thing? This debate about ratio of the track gauge is like debating H0 v 00 v EM v P4. Jamie, kindly provide the necessary info

I'll get my coat ...

There is actually a wagon I could measure at Gourville museum about 20 miles away.  However  it appears that I don't hold the necessary certificates to wield a tape measure.

Neither did I hold a certificste to say that I could hit miscreants with my truncheon, howebver I did and on both occasions it made me a lot safer.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 6
  • Round of applause 4
  • Funny 5

2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Our neighbour is a dentist who has a passing interest in building rolling stock.

His favourite wagon is an openwide.

(I'll put that back in the RMWeb Christmas cracker joke box.....)

And then get my coat...

Really?

You actually typed that? 

Andy

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

On the subject of holding the necessary certificates to do anything, I wonder if three of us broke some H&S law back in 1995 when moving into our new offices, we found that our crated "possessions" were in transit and our new desks still flat-packed.  So we borrowed a few screwdrivers from the workshops and built them ourselves.  It did occur to us that had we been employed as "builders" we'd have been paid more than our civil servant salaries.

• Like 13
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

On the subject of holding the necessary certificates to do anything, I wonder if three of us broke some H&S law back in 1995 when moving into our new offices, we found that our crated "possessions" were in transit and our new desks still flat-packed.  So we borrowed a few screwdrivers from the workshops and built them ourselves.  It did occur to us that had we been employed as "builders" we'd have been paid more than our civil servant salaries.

I think the only offence you committed was showing initiative, being adaptable and resourceful.

Traits that can be sadly lacking today.

• Agree 10
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Well my 6 year old granddaughter thought it funny, so I thought I'd share it with the 'wider' population.

First, some things, like flatulence, are better not shared.

Second, I am very impressed that your 6 yr old granddaughter knows what a vanwide and an open are.

An interest in wagonry that is to be nurtured. 

Andy

• Like 3
  • Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, SM42 said:

First, some things, like flatulence, are better not shared.

Second, I am very impressed that your 6 yr old granddaughter knows what a vanwide and an open are.

An interest in wagonry that is to be nurtured. 

Andy

She and her younger brother spent part of the morning building  sailing boats out of an old butter tubs and then proved they worked by sailing them in the muddy hollow.

She was also very interested in the 'little house' which a partially built signal box.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 8
  • Round of applause 5

And so it has come to pass, after numerous warnings and general expressions of frustration at the sheer daftness of the practice, that Mrs SM42's habit of leaving her spectacles all over the place in silly places ( like under the handbrake) has caught up with her. 

" Can you fix these?" 

Inspection showed that the metal hinge has been broken in two on one side and the other side is very bent and bending back may cause total failure. ☹️

This occurred due to her  throwing them on the passenger seat.

OK until you offer someone a lift.

She now walks around with them askew in a sort of strange Eric Morecombe tribute. 🤣

I am not allowed to say I told you so

Andy

• Funny 13
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Northmoor said:

One night at work in the mid 70's the paper tape jammed in the teleprinter.  The Sgt phoned control to get a repairman out. Control rang back to say that the skinflints at HQ only paid for office hours service.  As it was not the done thi g to leave the day shift a lot of teleprinter messages to send I duly got to work usi g a canteen knife as a screwdriver.  About 03.00 the Sgt came back from his meal and went ballistic when he saw the machine in bits.  I told him I could fix it.  He said, if it's not fixed by 05.00 you're on a fizzer.  By 04.30 the teleprinters were on tjeir way.

1 hour ago, SM42 said:

And so it has come to pass, after numerous warnings and general expressions of frustration at the sheer daftness of the practice, that Mrs SM42's habit of leaving her spectacles all over the place in silly places ( like under the handbrake) has caught up with her. 

" Can you fix these?" 

Inspection showed that the metal hinge has been broken in two on one side and the other side is very bent and bending back may cause total failure. ☹️

This occurred due to her  throwing them on the passenger seat.

OK until you offer someone a lift.

She now walks around with them askew in a sort of strange Eric Morecombe tribute. 🤣

I am not allowed to say I told you so

Andy

That happened  during lockdown to my good lady and I was asked to have a look.  I gained a large number of brownievpoints by fabricati g a new hi ge out of 1/8" square brass rod. This was then fitted using 12 and 14BA nuts and bolts.  The glasses lasted well. I'm not sure about the briwnievpoints, their shelf life seems to be infinitely  variable.

Jamie

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3