Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I need at least 5" gauge track to ensure decent helpings!

Nah, go for 1½ scale/7½ gauge, more stability for  🎂 on the curves!

Besides, then you can have your cake (riding the train) AND eat it at the same time!

Edited by J. S. Bach
To add some thoughts.
  • Like 5
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

Nah, go for 1½ scale/7½ gauge, more stability for  🎂 on the curves!

Besides, then you can have your cake (riding the train) AND eat it at the same time!

I do have a 7.25" gauge loco in the workshop that is slowly getting built.

5" gauge is better on the dining table🤣 

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1

4 hours ago, pgcroc said:

Regarding serving food in a restaurant.

Been there

Done that

In the Prague restaurant.

Saturday lunchtime, the place was hectic - very popular with families.

My burger, and beer did arrive by train

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 1

Morning all,

The spring rains have arrived from the north. Today is our first day of sun since Monday, with it raining more or less constantly since then. Not complaining it was needed!

Work continues on the press. Last weekend I made the center stubby column and the height adjustment spindle, meaning a wheelset can now be placed inside to give an idea of how it works. 

1A438FEF-F203-4E2A-8FC6-4C3087698D80.jpeg.4da1e4d13d80a4f7dd3be15a0677cffb.jpeg

Douglas

Drowning in French pastry’s 

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, polybear said:

Live Steam?

No definitely not.

Live steamers in 7.25" gauge are expensive: There is a lot of time and skills required to keep them in tip top working order.  If you don't do that, you end up with a knackered old heap that costs even more in time and effort to repair.

'Crusty' is a small petrol/electric 0-4-0, and needs a lot of degreasing and painting of the frames and axle boxes before I can get on with the next stage.

The garden redesign, unbeknown to Nyda, was cunningly contrived so that it will enable me, should I wish, to have a track from the top of the garden all the way down to the workshop.

• Like 9
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

No definitely not.

Live steamers in 7.25" gauge are expensive: There is a lot of time and skills required to keep them in tip top working order.  If you don't do that, you end up with a knackered old heap that costs even more in time and effort to repair.

'Crusty' is a small petrol/electric 0-4-0, and needs a lot of degreasing and painting of the frames and axle boxes before I can get on with the next stage.

The garden redesign, unbeknown to Nyda, was cunningly contrived so that it will enable me, should I wish, to have a track from the top of the garden all the way down to the workshop.

If planning permission is not granted perhaps it could become the Saleignes Heating. Interconecting. Tramway between the woodshed and the Verandah by the front door. 

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 9

Stuff has been done at SM42 Towers. 

The patio is fimished and the rain has tested the drainage arrangements and they seem satisfactory. 

A shelf has been added  to the airing cupboard and the pictures have been rehung  in the hall following completion of painting (I got someone to do that. Too much faff doing the stairs)

A car full has gone to the tip and tidying up continues with the sorting of the contents of various boxes that were hastily filled when builders were imminent. 

Andy

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, SM42 said:

A shelf has been added  to the airing cupboard and the pictures have been rehung  in the hall following completion of painting (I got someone to do that. Too much faff doing the stairs)

That's cheating......🤣

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, SM42 said:

If that leaves you at a loose end Andy, our kitchen will need painting in a few weeks.

And cake will be provided.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

........you end up with a knackered old heap that costs even more in time and effort to repair.

And one knackered old heap in your house is quite enough.

Dave

• Agree 1
  • Funny 10

21 minutes ago, polybear said:

That's cheating......🤣

Nope. 

It's not wanting to mess about on a ladder halfway up the stairs.

Quite fortunate timing given my back problems at the moment. 

20 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

If that leaves you at a loose end Andy, our kitchen will need painting in a few weeks.

And cake will be provided.

Dave

Tempting, but I think I'm washing my hair that day

Andy

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 6

4 minutes ago, SM42 said:

It's not wanting to mess about on a ladder halfway up the stairs.

Smart call! Our hall needs redone and we’re going to have it done professionally this time. Last time, I was balancing on top of the solid wall (not a railing) on the top landing, reaching across the stairwell to paint the opposite wall. I’m quite a bit older (and, hopefully, a bit wiser) now!

• Like 13

"I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay
 I sleep all night and I work all day.......

DSCN5853.JPG.a1b8fc96ff5aaf8069542f435c5a5191.JPG

This was a small (60 foot tall) 20 year old Ponderosa Pine that was really interfering with our view. It's the first time I've felled a decent size tree so I asked Dave from along the road to instruct me. Worked great too and it landed exactly where we wanted it. (If you need any firewood come and get it.)

There are no restrictions on tree removal here 'cos they grow like weeds, in fact that pine was a weed. Ponderosas grow to become enormous. There was one came down on a house not far from here and it basically split the house in two. I talked to the owners and told them I was very sorry about their house but they were not upset in the slightest. They were just about to demolish it and build a new house on the site.

Edited by AndyID
  • Like 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

The spinal jab has gone down well - only the faintest twinge in the nerve running down my thigh.

A few stretches and then the first 18 holes of golf played for the first time since October.

It's been that wet, we've had two holes closed since then and they only reopened yesterday!

Despite a horrendous 8 and four iffy 6s on my card, the preliminary results show I'm either first or second with a Nett 69 (no sniggering at the back).

I shall wait for the consideration of a card play-off (better back-9 score) to determine the exact result.

Either way, I've qualified for the local golf association handicap trophy and look forward to a round at Pleasington, near Blackburn, in two weeks - hopefully squeezing in a free practice round as well. 

It's been a few years since I've played there and the last time was when they still had a footpath crossing to 5 holes on the other side of the railway. They now have a large footbridge.

As Mrs NB is away with her Guides tomorrow, light domestic duties may be on the agenda with some F1 watching.

Have a good Sunday folks.

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

As it was very sunny on the South Coast today, I am now quite pink-faced.  It's been a nice day out train-watching on the West Coastway, as the Class 313 farewell tour was visiting all the termini.  Managed to get a few photos of both the tour and sister EMUs in regular service, which according to our inside man on RMWeb, will all be withdrawn in less than a month.  As the trains were keeping my interest, my original plan to visit the aircraft museum at Tangmere will have to wait for another day.

During a spell at Ford, I went into Gaugemaster and accidentally brought my wallet.  Oops, one aircraft kit (Italeri Jaguar GR1/3) and pack of Wills point rodding have found their way home.  My daughter, remembering how she helped me make a model aircraft about ten years ago, has seen the "waiting" pile of boxes in the loft and is enthusiastic about building one.  I've obviously brought her up well.

To get the first photos of the day meant repeating all except the last half mile of what, for three years, was my drive to work (44 miles each way).  I quickly remembered why three years was long enough.

• Like 13

5 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Today I was dragged kicking and screaming went with Jill to have a final chat with our kitchen consultant (AKA modelling token extraction expert) that ended up with Jill declaring satisfaction with all the minor alterations that have been made and me handing over my life and wellbeing credit card for execution final payment. It is now the final countdown to June 12 when the house will once more ring to the merry sound of jackhammers or whatever will be deployed. It is time for me to go to a darkened room and cry myself to sleep.

The husband of the Romanian couple next door to us says there’s a Romanian saying that would be applicable - “Happy wife - happy life.”

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, pH said:

The husband of the Romanian couple next door to us says there’s a Romanian saying that would be applicable - “Happy wife - happy life.”

Certainly, the reverse is true...

• Like 1
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Premium

The restorative effect of a generous measure of Scotland's finest gift to the civilised world is starting to take effect and I will now probably be able to retire to my bed in a less clouded frame of mind. The cold realisation of dawn may be another matter though.

Night night all.

Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Dave Hunt said:

The restorative effect of a generous measure of Scotland's finest gift to the civilised world is starting to take effect and I will now probably be able to retire to my bed in a less clouded frame of mind. The cold realisation of dawn may be another matter though.

Night night all.

Dave 

When you find that your wallet has left to join the circus.

• Funny 15