Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

In other news, the celebrations of the 130th anniversary of the Manx Electric Railway continue, today newly restored freight trailer 26 was having what I think was its first public outing.  Old No. 6 has a rather droopy underframe, well she is 129 years old.

20230727_1232181.jpg.39480242aa52a3b0c6217c14b343fb50.jpg

20230727_1242101.jpg.59f6ffc93e77dd57002dd332759f2ca2.jpg

Is No. 26 going to be painted in something other than James Bond Bentley Neil?

Dave

• Like 5
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

The closest that I have been to EWR is driving by it on US-1; that was close enough.

4 hours ago, AndyID said:

We lived in NJ in the 90's and used EWR many times. Never had any issues and it was much easier to use than JFK or LaGuardia. It was a good idea to say farewell to your car when you parked it as the car theft rate at Newark was a bit high.

I picked up a friend from Scotland at JFK on one occasion and on the drive back to NJ he asked if we were actually in Beirut 😁

The closest I have ever been to NJ is passing over it on the way out of JFK. Have I missed something?

Dave

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

One corner of my layout currently has the filthiest grass imaginable. That's because I dropped a container of soot weathering powder on it. I've tried vacuuming it off but it's still excessively grubby so I think I'll have to rip it up and redo the area. Turdycurses 😟

Dave

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, Hroth said:

People have been known to place fragments of kippers in fish wagons....

Someone (and no, it wasn't me) put a kipper in the heater box of my BiL's car when he and his new wife were going on their honeymoon. The smell stayed permanently in the car.

Dave 

• Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

One corner of my layout currently has the filthiest grass imaginable. That's because I dropped a container of soot weathering powder on it. I've tried vacuuming it off but it's still excessively grubby so I think I'll have to rip it up and redo the area. Turdycurses 😟

Dave

Leave it as part of the scenery. Figure out a reason why later.

• Like 1
  • Agree 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

We were crossing to go to a cousin's cottage in Michigan.  When we told the customs we were going to Leroy, he said "No one vacations in Leroy". (Leroy is a small town, the nearest to the cottage.) He was laughing.

One time we were in the motorhome and the agent got in, I think to check for aliens under the bed. I went to close the door to keep the cats in and was told off that we couldn't close it while the agent was inside.

Then the time that I went with the Dutch folk dance group as the needed extra male dancers.  The agent read the invitation letter and then asked where born. The dance instructor was Scottish. One of the other ringers was Finnish and his girl was Serbian.  

My first vacation on my own, I went to Maine by bus.  The leg from Toronto was so full that I sat on the tunnel between the last seat and the washroom.  After we crossed the border, I had a seat to myself.

• Like 10
  • Funny 2

9 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

The closest I have ever been to NJ is passing over it on the way out of JFK. Have I missed something?

Dave

The NJ part of the trip was fine. The Beirut comment was at the North end of Manhattan Island. Lots abandoned vehicles on the freeway.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

NO!

I resemble that remark!

Some bits of NJ are really very nice. We lived in Wyckoff.  It was like New England. Lots of beautiful trees and pretty homes. Best bit was I could night-ski 15 minutes from the house and get a fantastic view of the New York City skyline from the mountain.

• Like 9
  • Agree 1

My first visit to the USA, I suffered at the hands of Immigration.  Filled out the Landing Card four times, due to minor errors, example, a letter slight over the edge of the line, etc!!!

On the forth attempt, one official asked, “You back again?”  I explained about the person refusing entry.  Paperwork checked, next thing I know, the awkward squad was immediately dispatched to the Supervisor’s office.

British Border Control can be just as awkward.  To be honest, certain people of certain backgrounds, think they have the right to be very awkward.  I wonder if it’s jealousy?

Paul

• Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

13 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

In other news, the celebrations of the 130th anniversary of the Manx Electric Railway continue, today newly restored freight trailer 26 was having what I think was its first public outing.  Old No. 6 has a rather droopy underframe, well she is 129 years old.

20230727_1232181.jpg.39480242aa52a3b0c6217c14b343fb50.jpg

20230727_1242101.jpg.59f6ffc93e77dd57002dd332759f2ca2.jpg

I recall the Tunnel cars having a sag in the frame, when there was the 100 Year celebrations.  Doesn’t look any worse.

Paul

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Someone (and no, it wasn't me) put a kipper in the heater box of my BiL's car when he and his new wife were going on their honeymoon. The smell stayed permanently in the car.

Dave 

Did BiL (a) discover who did it, and (b) "have a discussion" with them?

If someone had done that to A Certain Bear they would've got the bill for a new car.

10 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Dave

Is it worth trying to recover it using an Airbrush?

50 minutes ago, Flying Fox 34F said:

British Border Control can be just as awkward.

Have we actually got any?  I did hear a rumour he's called Stan, but I've never seen him.

• Like 5
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

The model distillery I've built has a yogurt pot Hidden beneath, and will have a small fan for wafting...

It will be the cheapest Scottish product used, not my single malt.

On the other layout, the real station had a small  extra roof fitted over the platform , because of smells drifting over the wall from the open to the air urinals, the roof will be modelled not the smells.

Dad said you could smell the place 100 yards away especially if a non corridor military train had just arrived...

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I've had,mixed experiences with US border control. My first was in Detroit having come by taxi through the tunnel from Canada. This was 1978 and he was very officious as he looked through the enormous black book to see if this guy in jeans with a large frame rucksack was on the barred list.  Eventually he decided That I could enter the US of A and then asked my occupation.  As soon as I gave it his personality changed and he bid me a good welcome.   As to NJ, I did drive through it and

Apart from enjoying seei g the NY skyline across the main thing I remember about NJ was that the gas stations were manned and we didn't have to fill the car ourselves. 

Meanwhile I've been looking out of the window at the damp and greyness and watched a Robin feeding on a ranch of the pomegranate bush. 

Jamie

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I haven’t been to New Jersey but I have seen it from  New. York. As the ship we were on  wasn't one of the latest giant cruise ships we could dock in Brooklyn. The super giant ships when calling at New York were docked in New Jersey. I have been told that NJ is to New York what Essex is to  London over here. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Funny 1

The day has dawned overcast with showers. 

The first narrow gauge railway trip has been planned for next week has been abandoned, as a call to enquire about the timetable resulted in being told they only do group booking for whole trains. But there is a festival on  17th September. 

Still a couple more to try though so fingers crossed. 

Yesterday we had an hour at Kluczbork Station whilst we waited to deposit the in laws on a train back to Poznan. 

The plinthed Ty45 still graces the station approach, but is looking a little tatty nowadays 

20230727_172011.jpg.f4c7c17fa6fa3438886745f7ccdb65cc.jpg

As is usual for my luck, as the one hour parking ticket ran out ( and the parking attendant was hovering ready to issue the fine) two freight trains rumbled through the station behind ET22s. 

As I was getting out of Dodge at the time I was unable to get a photo of either. 

Turdycurses I think was  the appropriate phrase.

Andy

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 11

8 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:
13 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Dave

Leave it as part of the scenery. Figure out a reason why later.

Perhaps the grass caught fire a while back, new growth coming through?

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, SM42 said:

Isn't painting the grass black and then green etc  a technique used by military modellers?

Andy

I thought that lower ranking RAF personnel used to undertake such tasks on airfields. 

Jamie

• Funny 13