Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

16 hours ago, SM42 said:

I won't be wearing, shorts, pithe helmet and string vest. 

That's what Mrs SM42 is wearing to dinner tonight. 

I'll have make do with the budgie smugglers and knotted hankie 

Andy

Well it takes all sorts that's all I can say.  But I'm not a bit surprised it turned out to be you. Always had an inkling that you were into kinky and exhibitionism.

• Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

After the close match between New Zealand and Argentina last night.....

Bear was rather happy to see that the Argie's got knocked out 😁  Can't think why....but I suspect I'm not the only one.

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

Only one question: who’s the Fox fleecing PB and HH of their hard earned cash?

image.jpeg.02bb962191fb9cca7ae5d0c96c1e0904.jpeg

More importantly, just what is THAT floatin' in the beans??

• Like 4
  • Agree 9
  • Funny 2

15 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear was rather happy to see that the Argie's got knocked out 😁  Can't think why....but I suspect I'm not the only one.

I'd also like to know what 'pop' your drinking. Doesn't look at all like your normal cream and soda.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, polybear said:

I think it was a wood pigeon...

Or a squirrel!

• Funny 11

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Whilst sympathising with those who are enduring the best of British weather, I just want to point out that I have been suffering too. Yesterday it rained here in Andalusia and the temperature was down to 18 degrees.

Fortunately today is much better so more flotation trials have been undertaken and I‘m currently drying off on the terrace.

IMG_0026.jpeg.5c5370eaff9e6f7b03267b95e3ce1401.jpeg

Dave

For a second there, I though you looked like a young New Bryford.

Just saw this and thought of all those who frequent TNM:

image.png.8a3ae8d99f3a70eda486c9e62becdef8.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

For some reason, TNM disappeared from RMW on my phone and I’ve had to go through all sorts of searching to get it back. Weird.

Dave

I have had that happen on my phone. I think I must have touched the ignore topic button. 

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

10 hours ago, AndyID said:

Oh, and there is also a follow rest. It's similar to a fixed rest or steady except that it travels with the cutting tool. It is used when removing material along the length of a long shaft to prevent the shaft deflecting away from the cutting tool.

Quite so. And I neglected to add another use  for the dead centre, placed in the headstock (chuck removed and faceplate added) to support the end of a piece of work held between centres with a dog attached to the work and engaged with the faceplate to drive the work. Meanwhile back at the tailstock the live centre comes into play supporting the other end. Depending on the length and diameter of the work a steady of some sort might be used and if the tailstock were offset you could turn a taper!

Cheers,

David

• Like 5
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, davknigh said:

Quite so. And I neglected to add another use  for the dead centre, placed in the headstock (chuck removed and faceplate added) to support the end of a piece of work held between centres with a dog attached to the work and engaged with the faceplate to drive the work. Meanwhile back at the tailstock the live centre comes into play supporting the other end. Depending on the length and diameter of the work a steady of some sort might be used and if the tailstock were offset you could turn a taper!

Cheers,

David

More useful info David. Thank you for that. And the big advantage of turning between centers like that (as opposed to holding the work in a chuck) is that the work can be removed at some point in the operation then put back between centers (even flipped end over end) and it will run true automatically. Chucks cannot do that and even holding the work with collets is likely to create some runout.

• Like 6
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I am having a blitz on shifting heavy and awkward stuff before the BMW goes on Thursday.

It's replacement will not be allowed to be used as a small rubbish truck.🤣

Have you been on the course to learn how to use indicators in readiness for the new car?

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 18

54 minutes ago, polybear said:

Have you been on the course to learn how to use indicators in readiness for the new car?

I never realized Beemers had indicators. I thought the reason I never saw them was because they still had Idiot Sticks like my 55 VW

Bug.jpg.0041ae5d06ee0aae1b90db82d216a3b5.jpg

• Like 13

4 minutes ago, AndyID said:

I never realized Beemers had indicators.

Congratulations, @AndyB. You have passed the basic test to join the Beemer Drivers Club.

Sadly, until you can afford a Rolls Royce, you may still have to observe the remaining rules of the road that do not include Driving with Due Care and Attention to Other Road Users.

• Like 1
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

17 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Indicators?

Trafficators and Arm signals!

image.png.a2717b2074c670ddd8ec220e50d2c167.png

Indeed - Trafficators AKA Idiot Sticks. I try to resist the urge to use hand signals here. Too many maniacs with guns.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Indeed - Trafficators AKA Idiot Sticks. I try to resist the urge to use hand signals here. Too many maniacs with guns.

Hand signals and arm signals are two different thing.

An arm signal is used to show direction or intent to brake or slow down.

Hand signals (apart from a simple thumbs up) are to show some form of displeasure.

I tend to use the 'I am slowing down' arm signal quite frequently.

They are extremely useful when approaching a horse(s) and rider(s) as when they are coming towards you it gives them the peace of mind that you have seen them and are preparing to slow down to pass.  It also alerts following traffic that something unusual is happening ahead so makes them do a double take before thinking you're just stopping and try to accelerate past you.

In such a situation when you have following traffic, it's also worth taking a dominant position on the crown of the road which also discourages (politely) an ill thought out overtaking move.

• Like 6
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

... In such a situation when you have following traffic, it's also worth taking a dominant position on the crown of the road which also discourages (politely) an ill thought out overtaking move.

In today's society, would it not be more efficacious to update one's Facebook status and post a comment on Instagram? 😇 

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 10