RMweb

The Night Mail

7 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

@polybear orders a KFC takeaway.

image.png.c4a9e3dff9f2ec01d9e4cc39169f4a41.png

We went to KFC once. 

A new place had opened, we had a voucher, Mrs SM42 likes a bargain, what more can I say  

Never again 

6 chicken bones in breadcrumbs and a handful of chips fries .

Had to go to the chippy after for a proper feed. 

Andy

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 6

42 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

image.png.e8f6687167c618921785f0daf4fedf03.png

In walked Captain Farrell and I shot him with both barrels.

I miss the days when you had to dig up the pitch to make a little stand for the ball. 

There was more skill involved in those days. 

A potter and a rugby player.

And who can forget the days when it was so muddy you couldn't tell who was on  which team and the kit had to be thrown away after. 

No chance of getting it clean

Andy

• Like 4
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, SM42 said:

I miss the days when you had to dig up the pitch to make a little stand for the ball. 

There was more skill involved in those days. 

A potter and a rugby player.

And who can forget the days when it was so muddy you couldn't tell who was on  which team and the kit had to be thrown away after. 

No chance of getting it clean

Andy

And only fifteen players per team. 

• Like 3
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, SM42 said:

My all time favourite rugby photo:

https://i2-prod.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/incoming/article4729898.ece/ALTERNATES/s1200c/MEN_ARC_0311675_6438948.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

And only fifteen players per team. 

Sometimes... 

CoarseRugby.jpg.16793b35230cffbf7f5ac4319336b450.jpg

discusses the game but not as some of us might know it. 

(If anyone hasn't come across Mike's writings before, he did a series of coarse sporting titles, also including golf and sailing. I like them). 

• Like 4
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Gold

There has been an alarm

Nyda arranged for daughter and grandchildren to come up over the half term holiday.

The only problem being that Reading's half term is this week and Telfland's half term is next week.

This was discovered late yesterday afternoon, so my leisurely Sunday has turned into a bit of a frenzy.

Next job is going out to find suitable ingredients for a roast chicken dinner for this evening.

My offer of squirrel and woodpigeon pie was declined.

• Friendly/supportive 19

Woodpigeon is quite good actually, provided you just take the breast meat having dispatched said bird. The rest is best left behind to keep the local wildlife fed. 

It's also less to carry around and a carrier bag of pigeon breast is a lot easier to conceal than five ex birds...

• Like 7
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Around here Tesla drivers seem to have replaced BMW, Range Rover and AUDI drivers in the "clueless driver" sweepstakes!

_544ced2b-744c-4391-bc1e-2f2a47e597c1.jpg.8ebb8bf330125880f889d9ac44bcdf6b.jpg

We get those and the electric BMWs too.

They're more nippy than the oil powered counterparts so the drivers feel free to cut you up in traffic like they were driving a moped, completely forgetting that they are driving a barge that weighs as much as a loaded Ford Transit.

• Like 9
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, grandadbob said:

Wasn’t that supposed to be Fran Cotton?

Dave

PS Just seen that Bill beat me to it.

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

We get those and the electric BMWs too.

They're more nippy than the oil powered counterparts so the drivers feel free to cut you up in traffic like they were driving a moped, completely forgetting that they are driving a barge that weighs as much as a loaded Ford Transit.

Both the electric cars that brake tested me recently were Mustang Mach E. The first one “undertook” me while it was on a slip road to the dual carriageway I was on  at well over 70mph, pulled in front and stood on his brakes, and then accelerated away. 

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Both the electric cars that brake tested me recently were Mustang Mach E. The first one “undertook” me while it was on a slip road to the dual carriageway I was on  at well over 70mph, pulled in front and stood on his brakes, and then accelerated away. 

It's incidents like these (but more so the Crash for Cash scam) that leads to people fitting dashcams.  I think I saw one online where someone tried such a "brake test" with a large artic.  Let's just say their claims for whiplash would have been trivial compared to their other injuries, judging by what happened to the car. 

A late friend had such a C4C done to him and he made sure the police and insurance companies were aware of all the details surrounding the event, such as why one of the four car occupants was making a very calm phone call - but not to the emergency services - within about ten seconds of the "accident".

• Like 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

It's incidents like these (but more so the Crash for Cash scam) that leads to people fitting dashcams.  I think I saw one online where someone tried such a "brake test" with a large artic.  Let's just say their claims for whiplash would have been trivial compared to their other injuries, judging by what happened to the car. 

A late friend had such a C4C done to him and he made sure the police and insurance companies were aware of all the details surrounding the event, such as why one of the four car occupants was making a very calm phone call - but not to the emergency services - within about ten seconds of the "accident".

I don’t think the Mustang incidents were cash for crash attempts. Just incompetence.The one I mentioned after slowing and shooting away then joined the M25 just ahead of me and seemed to be repeating brake and dash and left at the next exit. I wondered if perhaps they were on a test drive. The next incident was more like Dave’s and I think the driver was trying to be clever and failing miserably. 
I am starting to see more Teslas now but haven’t been irritated by any (so far) .

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 8

3 hours ago, grandadbob said:

The 1963 NSW Rugby League Grand Final between St George and Western Suburbs, was played at the Sydney Cricket Ground in a torrential downpour.  This post-match  photo shows the captains of both teams -  Norm Provan and Arthur Summuns.

image.png.1c262d3ad58182e80295dbe160ea9cee.png

It was used as the basis for the the Rugby League Premiership trophy, first  when  it was the NSWRL, then the NRL.  Heres the two blokes holding it in later life.

image.png.d07424b7f07157c48b6b74f270aac281.png

• Like 17
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

My son unlike me, rather enjoyed Rugby at school. As, I have mentioned he was somewhat uncoordinated and not really skilled at sports but was always enthusiastic. The sports teachers were always encouraging. Until he was 14 he was bigger than most of the other boys so wasn’t  too disadvantaged. He told me once one of his team started pushing and shouting at him. Teacher intervened and it turned out that the other lad was cross because Matthew had splashed him and got mud on his Prada trainers.  The lad was told,to run round the pitch until he was at least as muddy as Matthew. In his last two  years at secondary school he just did water polo so didn’t get muddy at all. 

• Like 15
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

A few months ago a Tesla undertook me on the junction between the M42 and M25 and nearly took my bonnet off so I flashed the headlights at him. His next trick was to accelerate away then stand on the brakes and try to force me onto the hard shoulder then, when that didn’t work, he began to weave about in front of me until one of his actions nearly ended up with him hitting a 42 ton truck, at which stage he gave up and settled on showing everyone how clever he was at accelerating away. The term d!ckhead came to mind. 

Dave

There's a video of brake checkers on YouTube but I can't find it at the moment.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

The 1963 NSW Rugby League Grand Final between St George and Western Suburbs, was played at the Sydney Cricket Ground in a torrential downpour.  This post-match  photo shows the captains of both teams -  Norm Provan and Arthur Summuns.

image.png.1c262d3ad58182e80295dbe160ea9cee.png

It was used as the basis for the the Rugby League Premiership trophy, first  when  it was the NSWRL, then the NRL.  Heres the two blokes holding it in later life.

image.png.d07424b7f07157c48b6b74f270aac281.png

I hope that cricket wasn't scheduled at the Sydney Cricket Ground too soon after that match.

• Like 1
  • Funny 10