Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

Back from the concert. 

An evening of swing and standards based around songs recorded by Sinatra and also a Chrstmas theme. 

Very enjoyable, although there is something slightly odd with Poles singing in English.

Not quite sure why, it just sounds a little odd. 

Perhaps it's how they vocalise the words

The wind we were warned about has yet to blow. The rain has stopped and it's now time for bread and smalec ( pork dripping) washed down with a beer or two 

Andy

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, SM42 said:

Currently sat in the  Poznan Honda dealership awaiting the replacement of a headlight lamp to be carried out. 

The DIY handbook instructions talk of doing it by feel with your arm shoved up between wing and wheel arch liner. 

My brother-in-law gave me a great tip when talking about changing car light bulbs.  He advised going in first with your mobile phone and taking lots of photographs so that you could actually see what was where, what needed to be done and how to do it.

I’m not sure if there was any connection but he was a gynaecologist.

• Funny 14

8 minutes ago, BoD said:

My brother-in-law gave me a great tip when talking about changing car light bulbs.  He advised going in first with your mobile phone and taking lots of photographs so that you could actually see what was where, what needed to be done and how to do it.

I’m not sure if there was any connection but he was a gynaecologist.

It's feeding the new lamp past all the bits and bobs without touching the glass on anything, not to mention disconnecting the air filter pipework removing the rear lamp cover and releasing the spring clip by feel and all left handed  that is the challenge. 

Bit like playing Operation blindfold. 

It took them 50 minutes to do it the easy way. 

Andy

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium

On our old Ford Focus, when we needed a bulb replaced, the tech at the desk asked if we had cruise control. We hadn't. Hesaid that on his the cruise control box was mounted right behind where they had to work to replace the bulb.

For my birthday SWMBO gave me a picture of a train with LED illumination. She was a bit disappointed when I couldn't identify it.  A Germanic looking tank locomotive number 99 7241-5.

The other problem is the battery box at the back has no cover and is too small for AA batteries but the AAA barely compress the spring and fall out if shaken the wrong way. I managed to put a bit of model railway supply in to hod them.

• Like 11

7 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

DH will appreciate this:

IMG-20231221-WA0000.jpg.191006760c90d3ac888a19545a71475a.jpg

A friend of mine was doing a flight check on another pilot on a twin-engined aircraft. As they were on the final approach after the test, the pilot being checked said “Dave, I’ve already done the engine failure on approach!” Dave said “I’ve not touched anything!” 😳

Edited by pH
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 15

Well the windy wind arrived overnight. 

Much clunking and banging can be heard reverberating through the building. 

I'm not sure what it is but it sounds as if it could be the garage door flexing ( double garage width) or less likely one of the window roller shutters rattling 

Andy

• Friendly/supportive 10

15 minutes ago, SM42 said:

Well the windy wind arrived overnight. 

Much clunking and banging can be heard reverberating through the building. 

I'm not sure what it is but it sounds as if it could be the garage door flexing ( double garage width) or less likely one of the window roller shutters rattling 

Andy

Or the local equivalent of Marleys Ghost, rattling his chains.....

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, BR60103 said:

For my birthday SWMBO gave me a picture of a train with LED illumination. She was a bit disappointed when I couldn't identify it.  A Germanic looking tank locomotive number 99 7241-5.

The other problem is the battery box at the back has no cover and is too small for AA batteries but the AAA barely compress the spring and fall out if shaken the wrong way. I managed to put a bit of model railway supply in to hod them.

Sometimes these things are designed to run on a stack of button batteries.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, DenysW said:

The 99 series, I believe, was for all inherited and new narrow gauge locomotives in the 1923 renumbering. Wild assortment in there including Meyers.

British Rail did something similar when they decided that the VoR steam locos, which were the last BR steam locos in service, needed to be put into the TOPS system.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

British Rail did something similar when they decided that the VoR steam locos, which were the last BR steam locos in service, needed to be put into the TOPS system.

Are not all main line certified steam locos in this 98 xxx series? e.g. Tornado is 98 862

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

Just been shopping and it was heaving. 

Everyone's doing  the last minute food shopping before the big day on Sunday. 

There was quite an impressive queue at the fish counter and the cake counter was also doing brisk trade. 

We are off to lunch soon at the Sister in law's followed by an evening of riding the Poznan tram system.  

It's a life in the fast lane for us today. 

Andy

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, BR60103 said:

Metre-gauge 2-10-2 loco built in the 1950s for the Harz system, one of a class of 17. The 3 prototypes were 99-221/2/3 built in the 1930s. Of those 99-221/3 were sent to Norway during the war and dismantled there soon afterwards. 99-222 stayed in Germany, and still works on the Harz system

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, Flying Fox 34F said:

Poland seems to have sent the strong winds and horizontal snow in my direction further south.  Though it has been intermittent with lots of sunshine.

Paul

It is much breezier here today in south Essex but the wind can’t be blamed on Poland, it is coming from the west. 

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

On 21/12/2023 at 00:05, iL Dottore said:

One final point: when I restarted railway modelling we didn’t have even the half of the technology that is available nowadays. With 3D resin printers, laser cutters and so on, it’s never been easier to model accurately to scale.

That's certainly true. The snag is you might find yourself drawn into the 3-D printing vortex and you never actually build your layout. (Don't ask me how I know.)

BTW, did you find those dimensions yet, or did I miss them?

• Like 5