Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

a bag of threadbare socks, size 6-8

Nyda is currently making Bara Brith

Are those two statements related?

• Funny 10

1 hour ago, AndyID said:

Those "skilled in the art" should be able to quickly calculate the volume of air required for complete combustion while producing 1000 bhp.

Bear in mind that complete combustion requires, in practice, enough excess air so the the flue gases are still (at least) 14% oxygen, as well as lots of other temperature/residence criteria. Not especially easy, but a (bleeping) lot of air should cover it.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

1 hour ago, AndyID said:

One thing that does terrify me about the thought of ever returning to the UK is parking. The only place I ever have to pay for parking around here is at the airport. Mind you, parking in the major cities here can get very expensive too.

Spokane is and may still be particularly bad.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 6

15 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

I have received an offer from Aberystwyth University to study History and Welsh History with them.

Although I may be drowned out by more knowledgeable posts, please check (a) what fluency in written and spoken Welsh is assumed/needed (b) whether any modules are delivered through the medium of Welsh.

Welsh History particularly fraught because it will go back to the days when there wasn't one Welsh but two (plus dialects): Northern and Southern. One close to Irish/Scots Gaelic, the other close to Breton.

• Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, DenysW said:

Although I may be drowned out by more knowledgeable posts, please check (a) what fluency in written and spoken Welsh is assumed/needed (b) whether any modules are delivered through the medium of Welsh.

Welsh History particularly fraught because it will go back to the days when there wasn't one Welsh but two (plus dialects): Northern and Southern. One close to Irish/Scots Gaelic, the other close to Breton.

Agreed.

For the anglophiles, the first line of the Welsh national anthem is best remembered as:

My hen laid a haddock on top of a tree.

• Informative/Useful 4
  • Funny 12

8 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Agreed.

For the anglophiles, the first line of the Welsh national anthem is best remembered as:

My hen laid a haddock on top of a tree.

LOL!

• Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

the Welsh national anthem 

Whilst the Welsh have the best tune (by so far it's not even measurable), there is a distinct pause at bilingual events when the English-only participants try to work out how Gwlad can possibly be translated as Wales. Isn't that Cymru? or Gymru? or nGymru?

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, DenysW said:

whether any modules are delivered through the medium of Welsh.

My son asked exactly that question when he was interviewed for a place at Swansea University. The tutor told him not to worry, he had been there for years and had never been expected to speak Welsh. Matthew said he hadn’t been worried and would have liked the chance to learn.  He didn’t actually accept Swansea’s offer but even after he declined they contacted him to please don’t hesitate to contact them if his main and reserve choice didn’t work out. Aberystwyth may of course be different but well worth finding out!
Matthew went to study eventually in Utrecht and all the teaching was in English. Quite a few of the students  were from China.  Unfortunately for the students the pre requisite knowledge email was only sent in Mandarin to,the Chinese students, the English version never got sent. Matthew was a bit frantic when he found out he was supposed to be familiar with a stats program called SPSS and should have been told 3 months before he arrived in the Netherlands. Though after the first stats lecture he said it wasn’t a problem really. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I've spent part of the afternoon inspecting my paint collection.

I suppose every one needs a hobby.

Adrian

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Hroth said:

You just have to keep an eye open for plonkers parking across your driveway?

8 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Only the once at the Hippodrome

image.png.d8096bc4c7da9bed36ceec76074fe6e9.png

I do have problems with people parking across my driveway which is only 3 metres away from a road junction. One particularly icy winter a van took the junction to fast, skidded on the ice and hit a car parked between my driveway and the corner. I pointed out to the van driver that it was not my car and I couldn't care less. I also pointed out that the car was parked illegally, overhanging my drive and within ten metres of a road junction. The insurance company apparently only paid out half of the repair costs due to that fact.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 4

3 hours ago, AndyID said:

Those "skilled in the art" should be able to quickly calculate the volume of air required for complete combustion while producing 1000 bhp. The total  volume required for that little lot must be pretty impressive 😆

And not just combustion air - there is a big requirement for cooling air, which is why tunnel motors draw air from low down in the tunnel, where it’s presumably cooler. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, DenysW said:

Whilst the Welsh have the best tune (by so far it's not even measurable), there is a distinct pause at bilingual events when the English-only participants try to work out how Gwlad can possibly be translated as Wales. Isn't that Cymru? or Gymru? or nGymru?

It roughly translates as, "The Land! The Land!".

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Spokane is and may still be particularly bad.

It is near the town center. Out in the valley it's not a problem. Most retail areas in the US have lots of free parking. Not so much in the UK. Also, the parking spaces are much tighter in the UK.

• Like 2
  • Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, AndyID said:

It is near the town center. Out in the valley it's not a problem. Most retail areas in the US have lots of free parking. Not so much in the UK. Also, the parking spaces are much tighter in the UK.

The comment about the parking spaces being much tighter in the UK also extends into the building sector.

Builders, specifically estate builders are still working off the footprint of an Austin 7, or an original Morris Minor when they build the garages for houses.  These same templates are used by planners who design car parks.

They also design car parks with corners that can only safely be negotiated by a London taxi cab or a person on a unicycle.

• Agree 9

1 minute ago, Happy Hippo said:

The comment about the parking spaces being much tighter in the UK also extends into the building sector.

Builders, specifically estate builders are still working off the footprint of an Austin 7, or an original Morris Minor when they build the garages for houses.  These same templates are used by planners who design car parks.

They also design car parks with corners that can only safely be negotiated by a London taxi cab or a person on a unicycle.

A garage is a waste of space when it comes to house building, but is a good selling point for the prospective purchaser of a new build. 

The fact that you can fit a car in but only be able to get out through the boot doesn't matter, it looks good o  the property details. 

Heck they are barely big enough for a model railway. 

The best house to buy is the show house as the garage always seems to be a little wider. (You may also get a free safe. )

Having said that I'm not so sure that applies to those built post 1990. 

Andy

• Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

Builders, specifically estate builders are still working off the footprint of an Austin 7, or an original Morris Minor when they build the garages for houses. 

The garage on my early 70s build house is "slightly" larger than that, I'd say it was designed around the dimensions of a Moggy 1000 or a Triumph Herald*, or at least that class of vehicle!  The rooms are also of reasonable size and ceiling height. 

Houses of the late 80s onwards are designed by people who think that ceilings that can be touched on tiptoe are perfectly adequate and that garages are thinly disguised external storage units, to make up for the lack of space within the house or the "garden" space surrounding it.  New builds, I've noticed recently, have even less floorspace than those of the previous generation and are overpriced to boot.  God help their inhabitants when they need zimmers, wheelchairs and other aids to living.

* On the dimensions of a 1920s Austin 7, my garage is, in fact, a "two car garage"...

Edited by Hroth
extra...
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

The garage on my early 70s build house is "slightly" larger than that, I'd say it was designed around the dimensions of a Moggy 1000 or a Triumph Herald*, or at least that class of vehicle!  The rooms are also of reasonable size and ceiling height. 

Houses of the late 80s onwards are designed by people who think that ceilings that can be touched on tiptoe are perfectly adequate and that garages are thinly disguised external storage units, to make up for the lack of space within the house or the "garden" space surrounding it.  New builds, I've noticed recently, have even less floorspace than those of the previous generation and are overpriced to boot.  God help their inhabitants when they need zimmers, wheelchairs and other aids to living.

* On the dimensions of a 1920s Austin 7, my garage is, in fact, a "two car garage"...

You have John Prescott's time as DPM to thank for that.  He introduced the legislation that specified a minimum number of dwellings per hectare, so naturally the developer will cram them in and not waste space with things like garages or gardens bigger than an A4 envelope.

I think I have mentioned on here before that one major developer was found to have specially commissioned garage doors narrower and shorter than standard.  The proportional reduction was such that most buyers, who had presumably been attracted by a "house with a garage",  never noticed - perhaps never using the garage for their car - but it was found that there were only about three cars sold in the UK could fit through the doorway.  However, it allowed the developer to squeeze at least one more house onto each plot within the large development concerned, probably nearly £100k additional profit per unit.

Bar stewards. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Hroth said:

This house was built in 1995 and the builder originally built it for himself and his wife. Its not a big house but the rooms are very generously proportioned and the garage is 24 x 24 feet.

A few years ago I added a shop/shed which is 20 x 36 feet 🤣

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Apparently the Royal Navy are advertising on LinkedIn for a Rear Admiral having failed to find one suitable by the usual methods. The successful candidate will be responsible for the UK nuclear weapons. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Apparently the Royal Navy are advertising on LinkedIn for a Rear Admiral having failed to find one suitable by the usual methods. The successful candidate will be responsible for the UK nuclear weapons. 

Light blue touch paper and retire?

• Agree 4
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Light blue touch paper and retire?

They are prepared to accept  retired officers so perhaps “retire and light blue touch paper”

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

54 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I was going to suggest our fearless leader would be a suitable applicant until I noticed the bit that said,

"Button pushing capability cannot be impaired."

• Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

I thought the Royal Navy had plenty of admirals. It was reported a while ago that they had more admirals than ships.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, AndyID said:

I was going to suggest our fearless leader would be a suitable applicant until I noticed the bit that said,

"Button pushing capability cannot be impaired."

Wrong service.

Besides,

I believe Rince Pandrew is looking for a job to supplement his  lowly income.

Although apparently one of my few redeeming qualities is having a Rear Admira(b)l(e).

I was also told by a lady I'd just met that I sounded  just like Sir Anthony Hopkins.

On can only presume she meant  when he played Hannibal Lector.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Funny 10