Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Crisis averted - I had a tip-off. The nearest Sainsburys had some. But they also now have a continuous exit barrier with gates activated by a bar-code on your receipt. I object to this very strongly as interfering with my liberty as a freeborn Englishman to go in and out of their shop without making a purchase.

Anyway, marmalade is now in progress.

I'd go in for  something they don't sell or have run out of, ( sheep's milk yoghurt is a good bet) just so I could sit at the exit and cause havoc in the car park. 

Just for the laughs. 

Andy

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, SM42 said:

I'd go in for  something they don't sell or have run out of, ( sheep's milk yoghurt is a good bet) just so I could sit at the exit and cause havoc in the car park. 

Just for the laughs. 

Andy

That could have been the situation with the Seville oranges.

To clarify, this is not about exiting the car park, it's about leaving the shop. You are, effectively, imprisoned in the building until you scan your receipt at one of the exit barriers. (I'm not entirely sure what happens at the small number of tills still operated by a store employee but the queue for these is generally so long and the space alongside the till only trolley-wide, so one's chances of squeezing out that way are slim, even if you are, which I'm not.)

This seems to me to amount to false imprisonment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_imprisonment#United_Kingdom.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

To clarify, this is not about exiting the car park, it's about leaving the shop. You are, effectively, imprisoned in the building until you scan your receipt at one of the exit barriers. (I'm not entirely sure what happens at the small number of tills still operated by a store employee but the queue for these is generally so long and the space alongside the till only trolley-wide, so one's chances of squeezing out that way are slim, even if you are, which I'm not.)

Self scan an alcoholic item and when they come to authorise the sale, politely  tell them that now you have their atention they can let you out and no you don't want the item you scanned. 

Seriously, though, I can see why you don't go there. 

The assumption that you will always, or must buy something before they let you out is pushing it a bit on the cheeky scale. 

I have a similar attitude to the local Asda, where they expect me to work for free, operating the till ( it's self service only.)

Andy

• Like 12
  • Agree 1

33 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

You wait for someone who HAS bought something to scan themselves through and follow them through, or (and this would be my preferred method) push at the barrier so the alarm goes off and tell the security bod, who will no doubt officiously bustle up, that you haven't made a purchase because you didn't like the look of anything on offer, and that you would like to leave PLEASE?

Enough people doing that and they'll leave the barriers open.

I suppose there's a shoplifting problem....

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

4 minutes ago, Hroth said:

You wait for someone who HAS bought something to scan themselves through and follow them through, or (and this would be my preferred method) push at the barrier so the alarm goes off and tell the security bod, who will no doubt officiously bustle up, that you haven't made a purchase because you didn't like the look of anything on offer, and that you would like to leave PLEASE

I’ve read recently a character did this kind of thing at an Airport in Denmark.  Ended up arriving in the USA as a Stowaway.  He’s now been convicted and jailed!

Paul

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5
  • Funny 2

14 minutes ago, Flying Fox 34F said:

I’ve read recently a character did this kind of thing at an Airport in Denmark.  Ended up arriving in the USA as a Stowaway.  He’s now been convicted and jailed!

Paul

We're talking about Sainsburys egregrious anti-shoplifting methods here, not check in at an airport!

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

I was wondering why a house in the next road wasn’t flattened completely. It just seemed to retain a corner and a bit of another wall. Apparently if you flatten it completely and it counts as a new build, that may avoid vat on labour and materials but you may then need to pay CIL which is £240 a sq metre here. I suppose builders work,out what is best economically. 

• Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Hroth said:

We're talking about Sainsburys egregrious anti-shoplifting methods here, not check in at an airport!

The car park “no return within 4 hours” notices do ensure if I have forgotten something I will go somewhere else instead too.

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 3

1 minute ago, Tony_S said:

I was wondering why a house in the next road wasn’t flattened completely. It just seemed to retain a corner and a bit of another wall. Apparently if you flatten it completely and it counts as a new build, that may avoid vat on labour and materials but you may then need to pay CIL which is £240 a sq metre here. I suppose builders work,out what is best economically. 

Sounds like one of those exercises that used to crop up in GCSE maths, where a certain portion of a graph would reveal the "sweet spot"...

• Agree 9

4 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

We did demolish a 3 bedroomed house in North Wales a few years back, and replace it with another.

The full demolition and  the new build worked out cheaper than the partial demolition and rebuild to bring it up to the current standards for insulation which we had originally envisaged.

Improving an old property attracts VAT, yet new builds are exempt!

Another bunch who are intend on doing it the expensive way🤣.

Slightly different for us colonials, in New Jersey at least. We lived in an area where there were a lot of smallish houses on rather large lots. Typically half an acre. They were built in the 50s.

Demolishing and building a much larger home was not allowed, but you could add an extension to an existing home so the thing to do was add an extension that was bigger than the house. After five years it was OK to demolish the original house  :)

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Hroth said:

Sounds like one of those exercises that used to crop up in GCSE maths, where a certain portion of a graph would reveal the "sweet spot"...

In my case it was O level. I think it was called linear programming. 
I was talking about GCSE maths with my neighbour today. She has enroled on a course at a college.  The next stage is degree level and she doesn’t have GCSE maths, she has a City & Guilds Arithmetic qualification. She she will have to sit a numeracy exam. I said Aditi had to do that at her last college as all staff had to prove numeracy and literacy levels if they didn’t have GCSE English and Maths. They wouldn’t accept O level passes. At the time she had a degree, a masters and a doctorate. She was teaching statistics too. 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Funny 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Hroth said:

You'd think...

42 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I suppose there's a shoplifting problem...

Yes, but it's the presumption of guilt that offends - treating all your customers as potential criminals. Now, I appreciate that the Sainsburys in question is in Winnersh - a particularly low-down district of inner-city Wokingham - whereas I'm coming down from the lofty leafy heights of ultra-respectable Earley - Maiden Erlegh at that!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 10

7 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I was talking about GCSE maths with my neighbour today. She has enroled on a course at a college.  The next stage is degree level and she doesn’t have GCSE maths, she has a City & Guilds Arithmetic qualification. She she will have to sit a numeracy exam. I said Aditi had to do that at her last college as all staff had to prove numeracy and literacy levels if they didn’t have GCSE English and Maths. They wouldn’t accept O level passes. At the time she had a degree, a masters and a doctorate. She was teaching statistics too. 

Thats the bunny! I did it at O level, but I thought I'd mention GCSEs as an age-cloaking device. 🤪

Linear Programming was an activity I've never had to participate in in my subsequent careers, even with a degree and masters, hence my inablity to remember what it was actually called... 

I've fallen into the modern literacy/numeracy trap too, as O levels are considered to be so archaic as to be ignored.  There were some online assessment programs to plough through before it was conceded that I was numerate enough and my literacy was beyond doubt...

Hey ho!

• Friendly/supportive 13

38 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Just comparing a similarity, though extreme!

Many of the Supermarkets here in Romania have an exit barrier at the Self Service Tills.

Paul

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Ah orderly officer, something that can't get up in the mornings. In my 12 years and a couple of dozen or more turns as duty airman or orderly corporal, not once did a orderly officer make it for flag raising.. just as well the SWO and C/O didn't get up at that time either..

On the way to the MRC is an end of terrace house of which most was demolished before the rebuild into about 50% bigger.

Norfolk reds are a problem too, a very soft brick, very prone  to spalling. we have a couple of decorative band of them on the outside walls and many lumps missing..

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 3

53 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I taught these qualifications at a post 16 college, with the Level 2 being equivalent of a GCSE grade C for purposes of college/university applications. The Numeracy exam sounds about right to ensure a candidate is able to cope with the basic numeracy required to be able to take the course.

When I did my teaching PGCE, they were due to introduce the literacy/numeracy tests for teachers the year after we graduated (on our two year part time course). So our provider suggested we all do it in any case.

I turned up on the day for the literacy test to discover I hadn’t been entered. Why not? I enquired. You don’t need to do it, you’ve got an A Level Grade B in English Literature!

It felt strange arguing with the people supposedly training me that English literature and language exams are different!

Cut to the numeracy exam. Using the logic above, I would need to take it as I didn’t have an A Level grade in maths.

But, no! Exempt again! Why?

This time I was told (a) I had a Grade B in Mathematics O Level (which they rated higher than a GCSE!!) (b) I was already teaching Numeracy in my day job (!) and (c) I had led a couple of sessions going through numeracy practice papers with my peers when the tutor wasn’t feeling well which had been observed (on the sly!)

Out of a 20 strong cohort, I qualified without either the English Language or Numeracy Adult Proficiency certificates.

Go figure. 🙄

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

When Aditi got 99% in the literacy test she said it must be faulty as she had made no mistakes. 

12 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

was told (a) I had a Grade B in Mathematics O Level

That should have exempted you from the test  as it would be better than the GCSE grade C which was the minimum for teacher entry. Aditi’s situation was that she was already a qualified teacher in a Higher Ed institution and they didn’t recognise O levels as having GCSE equivalence. I believe Aditi thought the people organising the tests in the college looked about 12 years old. 
When we were being interrogated about the original source of the money ina savings account the bank person had never heard of, endowment mortgages, The Woolwich, or Commercial Union. “Is Woolwich the place in South London” he asked. We had to be transferred to someone older. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

Self-build exemption

How does the self-build exemption work (for a whole new home)?

If the necessary qualification requirements are met and the application process is completed within required timescales, an exemption from the Community Infrastructure Levy will be available to anybody who is building their own home or has commissioned a home from a contractor, house builder or sub-contractor. Individuals benefiting from the exemption must own the property and occupy it as their principal residence for a minimum of 3 years after the work is completed.

Paragraph: 082 Reference ID: 25-082-20190901

Revision date: 01 09 2019

• Informative/Useful 11

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

So where did you get your Seville oranges? Bit of a crisis here with marmalade famine in prospect...

I bought a jar of Seville orange pulp in Spain last October then cheated and added some chopped orange peel.

Dave

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

When I retired from teaching and then worked for the same school as an IT consultant I was told my 0 level in maths was not acceptable and I would have to take a numeracy test.  The school just ignored it and gave me the new contract.

It is nothing new though as over 40 years ago at an interview for a deputy head post Mum was told by a school governor that her school certificate was not evidence of a maths qualification (and this was before such evidence was a real requirement).  She pointed out she had a Maths degree.  She got the job.  School certificate predates 0 levels as school leaving qualification.

David

• Like 16
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Hroth said:

Thats the bunny! I did it at O level, but I thought I'd mention GCSEs as an age-cloaking device. 🤪

Linear Programming was an activity I've never had to participate in in my subsequent careers, even with a degree and masters, hence my inablity to remember what it was actually called... 

I've fallen into the modern literacy/numeracy trap too, as O levels are considered to be so archaic as to be ignored.  There were some online assessment programs to plough through before it was conceded that I was numerate enough and my literacy was beyond doubt...

Hey ho!

Would my grade 6 French O level pass exempt me from the language test if we ever apply for citizenship. 

Equivalence is interesting.  My Insps promotion exam pass counted as, IIRC 30 points towards a degree and Mt certificate level management course with the OU counted as 60 points.  I'm half wat the the degree I never got. 

Jamie

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Would my grade 6 French O level pass exempt me from the language test if we ever apply for citizenship. 

Matthew’s grade C GCSE English (equiv grade to old JMB O level 6 (lowest “pass”  grade for o level)  wasn’t acceptable as proof of English ability for Stockholm university entrance. .By then he had a degree from Leicester, and a MSc from the LSE..  That GCSE English was taken before he was allowed to use a keyboard for exams. Due to dyspraxia, he couldn’t hold a pen and think at the same time. Fortunately he could type quite quickly, and after GCSE his grades reflected his ability. 
Tony

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

whereas I'm coming down from the lofty leafy heights of ultra-respectable Earley - Maiden Erlegh at that!

That's probably because my daughter and family live there.

However they have no hippo like traits to lower the neighbourhood.

• Like 9
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

How tall do you think the folded ironing board is?

The racking system is a very expensive way of mounting a single shelf that has been in place for about 15 years

Hacksaw? That is sooooo yesterday. The angle grinder with a metal cutting disc is much quicker.

But, by the time I've  dismounted the grinder from it's stand, changed the cutting disc, and cleaned up the cut ends with  some emery paper then refitted the rubber feet on the ironing board, it is quicker to drill the  new holes.

Then I have to replace the angle grinder into it's stand, and spend a further quarter of an hour fine tuning it so that it both cuts vertically and is perpendicular to the cross plate.

In fact a much better idea would be to buy a second angle grinder.

Meanwhile, the shelf is not getting moved....

Have you thought of moving house?

Dave

PS Just seen that I was beaten to it. 😕

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Like 6
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

Matthew’s grade C GCSE English (equiv grade to old JMB O level 6 (lowest “pass”  grade for o level)  wasn’t acceptable as proof of English ability for Stockholm university entrance. .

When we lived in the Netherlands I was asked by a local nightschool if I would help out with some English tuition. The appointment was blocked by the regional education board because I didn't have a Dutch qualification in English. So it isn't just in the UK where there are some idiotic decisions made.

Dave

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Funny 9